ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Awesome to see classy panther fans after some delusional and hateful broons, tampa and montreal fans. Like a breath of fresh oceanic air at Las Olas Beach. Everything will change at puck drop though, and Tkachuk will hated in TO. Your team deserves respect and can easily burn the Leafs.

Reactions: BayStBullies

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
So if the Leafs win, Montreal gets the 17th pick and if they lose, they the 29th-32nd. Will probably be the first time Montreal fans cheer for the Leafs.

I think the Leafs win it in 5 or 6.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And we're going to find out whether the Leafs played well or just capitalized on a few bounces too, right?

After all, while the Leafs and Panthers won their series, the Lightning and Bruins carried the play very much of those games.

If by carrying the play you mean holding the puck with no dangerous chances, yeah Tampa did a lot of that.

Tampa Bay scored 14 goals with Justin Holl on the ice, and 5 goals when Justin Holl wasn't on the ice in a 6 game series.

Justin Holl was their 5th/6th d-men.

They exploited a clear weakness that Sheldon Keefe was too stubborn to remove until Game 6... where Tampa scored 1 goal.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No way opening it up isn't going to be good because it is the opposite of how the team has played. Panthers goal should be to open up the series.

I'll tell you exactly how to beat the Leafs

- Pressure on forecheck and not allow us to breakout like Tampa was doing. If we get clean breakouts goodnight.
- Hope Samsonov comes crashing back down to earth
- Hope our stars are content with a first round win and coast

If they let the Leafs hold the puck, they are better at it than the Panthers. They can defend better than the Panthers. Can cycle better, score greasy goals better. Panthers need to be on the Leafs dmen and not allow them time and space to make clean breakouts
I would consider opening it up because the Panthers have actually been one of the worst rush teams this season. They generate almost all their offense off the forecheck. I trust TOR's defensemen (Brodie, McCabe, Liljegren) to defend the rush better than FLA's (outside of Forsling, basically no one is a good rush defender).

The Panthers are going to want a slugfest. They are similar to TB. And despite winning, the Leafs were outplayed by TB and their ferocious forecheck.

The Leafs should want Matthews/Marner/Nylander coming in with speed against the likes of Ekblad, Staal, Gudas, or Montour.

Reactions: pantherbot

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Don’t get all the “Leafs easily” comments.

Were all concerned about having the play the Bruins and they were bested. Don’t see how the team that beat them are suddenly a way easier out. Should be a good series.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If by carrying the play you mean holding the puck with no dangerous chances, yeah Tampa did a lot of that.

Tampa Bay scored 14 goals with Justin Holl on the ice, and 5 goals when Justin Holl wasn't on the ice in a 6 game series.

They exploited a clear weakness that Sheldon Keefe was too stubborn to remove until Game 6... where Tampa scored 1 goal.

So your position is that the Leafs dominated the Lightning and it doesn't matter that there were 3 OT games, their winning that series proves how good they are and there's no doubt about it. But at the same time, the Panthers got lucky beating the Bruins and them winning that series doesn't mean anything?

Sounds like a fair take.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Will Barkov show up offensively? If not then this could be a short series. Sure you can win one round with your #1C being a complete non factor but it's tough to win two rounds without your #1C being a catalyst. Florida's depth can only take them so far before Barkov has to carry the load. Barkov just doesn't have the playoff jam.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So your position is that the Leafs dominated the Lightning and it doesn't matter that there were 3 OT games, their winning that series proves how good they are and there's no doubt about it. But at the same time, the Panthers got lucky beating the Bruins and them winning that series doesn't mean anything?

Sounds like a fair take.

When did I say the Panthers got lucky?

My first post in this thread is the Panthers were a much better team than the Bruins.

However, we're going to find out if that was the Panthers being good, or the Bruins being bad. The Panthers were the 17th best team in the NHL in the regular season.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Kucherov and Point had ZERO 5v5 goals that series, I repeat 0.

2 assists each.

Reactions: authentic

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
When did I say the Panthers got lucky?

My first post in this thread is the Panthers were a much better team than the Bruins.

Fair. But you also said that the Lightning "held onto the puck without getting chances".

Analytics say differently:

5v5: Leafs had 137 scoring chances for. Lightning had 198 scoring chances for.
On the PP: Leafs had 29 scoring chances for. Lightning had 34 scoring chances for.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Awesome to see classy panther fans after some delusional and hateful broons, tampa and montreal fans. Like a breath of fresh oceanic air at Las Olas Beach. Everything will change at puck drop though, and Tkachuk will hated in TO. Your team deserves respect and can easily burn the Leafs.

Leafs already know about Tkachuk we played against him a lot. We also know how to get under his skin and make him useless

I would consider opening it up because the Panthers have actually been one of the worst rush teams this season. They generate almost all their offense off the forecheck. I trust TOR's defensemen (Brodie, McCabe, Liljegren) to defend the rush better than FLA's (outside of Forsling, basically no one is a good rush defender).

The Panthers are going to want a slugfest. They are similar to TB. And despite winning, the Leafs were outplayed by TB and their ferocious forecheck.

The Leafs should want Matthews/Marner/Nylander coming in with speed against the likes of Ekblad, Staal, Gudas, or Montour.

Nylander 100% agreed with you he is best when he is given ice to skate. Marner as well to an extent. But Matthews, Tavares, ROR, Knies, Jarnkrok, ZAR, Lafferty, basically every other forward is better on the forecheck than the rush.

Panthers were activating their D against the Bruins a lot and that is a mistake vs the Leafs. I think I lost count of how many times the Bruins had numbers the other way exactly like this

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I’m not sure that the Boston we saw in round one is more of a threat than Florida…still think the leafs are heavy favourites. The biggest piece is going to be bobrovsky imo.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Fair. But you also said that the Lightning "held onto the puck without getting chances".

Analytics say differently:

5v5: Leafs had 137 scoring chances for. Lightning had 198 scoring chances for.

The Lightning's plan was to throw everything at the net. The Leafs plan was to only shoot when the goalie was screened. They had different game plans.

Also, the Lightning scored 5 goals when one particular defencemen, who played under 19 mins a game, was not on the ice. It seems most of their goals came from catching Holl out of position than actually these dominant chances you're imagining, considering the 41+ mins Justin Holl was not on the ice a game - Tampa scored 5 goals in 6 games.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Toronto fans seems to prefer this match up, but beware, these kittens got claws. Hoping for a long fun series.

We've been mauled by the bear too many times before, haha.

Think I'd take my chances trying to put some soft paws on the Cats.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
The Panthers are no joke, 8th seed only because of the earlier injuries. Obviously I am disappointed in the results against the Bruins. They have a lot of good players, are good defensively and will crush the opponent at every chance. The Leafs fans will be hating Tkachuk and Bennett with a passion by the end of game one.

I wonder if Bunting will be able to keep his cool or if he gets suspended again.

I predicted Panthers in 6 because they have nothing to lose and are playing that way, enjoying being the underdog. Pressure is all on the Leafs, just like it was on Boston.

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
I think the Leafs will win in 5 or 6 games because the weight is off their shoulders. They will be FLYING out there like they lost 200 pounds going from obese to having a six pack.

20 years of disappointment and finally breaking through the first round >>>>>> wildcard team beating president trophy winners.

The wild cats have to keep up the same intensity and put in 120% effort to win, but then again, if they keep doing that, they will win the cup!

Either way, should be a good series :)

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The Lightning's plan was to throw everything at the net. The Leafs plan was to only shoot when the goalie was screened. They had different game plans.

Also, the Lightning scored 5 goals when one particular defencemen, who played under 19 mins a game, was not on the ice. It seems most of their goals came from catching Holl out of position than actually these dominant chances you're imagining, considering the 41+ mins Justin Holl was not on the ice a game - Tampa scored 5 goals in 6 games.

Imagining? I'm not imagining anything. The numbers are what the numbers are.

Full credit to the Leafs for winning. Their best players delivered in the big moments. They completely deserved to move on.

But it really seems like you're trying to alter what actually happened. That was a very tight series. Neither team "dominated". It could have easily gone the other way. Just like Bruins/Panthers.

This series coming up? It's much more evenly matched than some think.

Reactions: Just Rude

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Toronto fans seems to prefer this match up, but beware, these kittens got claws. Hoping for a long fun series.
The only thing Toronto and their fans had to do with this match up is win their first round series.

Don’t get all the “Leafs easily” comments.

Were all concerned about having the play the Bruins and they were bested. Don’t see how the team that beat them are suddenly a way easier out. Should be a good series.
How many of those comments are there really?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Imagining? I'm not imagining anything. The numbers are what the numbers are.

Full credit to the Leafs for winning. Their best players delivered in the big moments. They completely deserved to move on.

But it really seems like you're trying to alter what actually happened. That was a very tight series. It could have easily gone the other way. Just like Bruins/Panthers.

This series coming up? It's much more evenly matched than some think.

I guess we'll see. It's also possible the Lightning were a better team than the Bruins.

Last year, when the Leafs should have beat the Lightning but a phantom call lead to a 2 min 5 on 3 - extending Tampa's season, the narrative was 'Florida will beat whoever wins this series, both teams are bad' because Tampa was outplayed the majority of the series.

Then... Tampa went in and swept Florida, beat NYR in 6 and went straight to the finals.

I think Tampa is a stronger team than Florida, and even Boston. They've been to 3 straight Cup Finals, and only been eliminated by one team outside of the Cup Finals in the last 4 years.

Is Florida going to be a stronger team than TB was? We'll find out.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well aware of them and who else? Not to mention your style of play isnt a playoff style. You beat a tired and over the hill Lightning team. Panthers are going to frustrate the Leafs. I dont think the Leafs superior scoring will make up for it.

You sound like someone who didn't watch the series, pretty hard to take seriously.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I honestly don't know what to expect from this series. I didn't think the Panthers could knock off the Bs, and here we are. Again, Panthers have to fix the PK fast. They absolutely will not win this series if the Leafs run a 50% power play.

Is that really much worse than two series wins in, what, 27 years?

Judging from the completely insufferable posts from some Toronto fans, I'm going to say: Yes.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Leafs are loaded for the fight against destiny. Possibly the best Leafs team assembled since 67. Curse-breaking team looking to prove it all.

Against

A Cats team that's powering up to go full-on Cinderella with balls and teeth. Best regular season NHL team in history didn't scare them, Leafs won't either. They got resilience, toughness and everyone on the team is a hero waiting in the wings with a goalie that has everything to prove.

THIS is the biggest playoff matchup, period. Make no mistake.

It's going 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petrus

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I guess we'll see. It's also possible the Lightning were a better team than the Bruins.

Last year, when the Leafs should have beat the Lightning but a phantom call lead to a 2 min 5 on 3 - extending Tampa's season, the narrative was 'Florida will beat whoever wins this series, both teams are bad' because Tampa was outplayed the majority of the series.

Then... Tampa went in and swept Florida, beat NYR in 6 and went straight to the finals.

I think Tampa is a stronger team than Florida, and even Boston. They've been to 3 straight Cup Finals, and only been eliminated by one team outside of the Cup Finals in the last 4 years.

Is Florida going to be a stronger team than TB was? We'll find out.

Last year really has no bearing on this year. The Panthers are a different team than they were last year. So are the Leafs. So were the Lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad