ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Florida has an advantage in that if Bob craps the bed, they have Alex Lyon to go to. But if Samsonov craps the bed, the Leafs have to go with rookie Woll. Matt Murray has spent more time on the IR than dressed in uniform. This signing could backfire for the Leafs. :huh: Hope Samsonov can hold the fort.

Bob vs Samsonov. Neither are great goalies so we will see a good share of terribly weak goals scored this series. It will come down to which goalie plays less garbage.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kucherov and Point had ZERO 5v5 goals that series, I repeat 0.

2 assists each.

Marner almost doubled their top scorers Cirelli and Kucherov in points (11-6), and we had 6 players with 7 points or more including a defenseman with 8. But somehow Tampa outplayed us and really should've won.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
You realize RoR had 7 points in the first round right? He isn't exactly done.
Ror, Accari, Knies, JT, Matthews are all extremely heavy players along the boards. I dont think this man has really watched the Leafs at all. Hes also trying to act like the Panthers can physically impose themselves against the Leafs lmao. We saw what happened when Tampa tried to do that, it went no where and they had to scratch the guy they nearly paid an entire drafts worth of picks for.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Florida has an advantage in that if Bob craps the bed, they have Alex Lyon to go to. But if Samsonov craps the bed, the Leafs have to go with rookie Woll. Matt Murray has spent more time on the IR than dressed in uniform. This signing could backfire for the Leafs. :huh: Hope Samsonov can hold the fort.

Bob vs Samsonov. Neither are great goalies so we will see a good share of terribly weak goals scored this series. It will come down to which goalie plays less garbage.

Woll is a really good goalie. I wouldn't be nervous if he had to step in at all.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ok here it is as I remember it, For context Canada was formed in 1867 and didn't really spend on military, so when WWI rolls around, Canada being a Commonwealth country sent troops. But their uniforms didn't even say Canada on them yet, just a red maple Leaf on the shoulder.
At that time (early 1915ish) you had British and French troops starting trenches. So by then the Germans were using Gas to great effect. Pretty much every time they used it they gained ground.
So now the Canadians are positioned with the French, the Germans attacked with gas, the French ran, the Canadians(who didn't even have chemical protective gear) figured f*** it, lets charge if we are going to die anyway.
So the Germans see all these wretching, coughing dying men in a full on charge an the Germans broke rank en-masse and the Canadians ended up gaining a good chunk of ground and taking a large amount of prisoners. Since the war was in France, they generally dealt with prisoners. Well when the French were interrogating the Germans, they were terrified of these insane soldiers and the Germans had no idea what country they were from, just that if you saw that Maple Leaf... run!!!

Con Smythe was a Canadian soldier in WW1 and this got back to the Canadians and it was a real source of pride, so when he bought the team, he changed the name to the Maple leafs.

Ah ok, I honestly had no idea, or I just forgot, thanks! That actually is a great story.

I am going to give you a slight correction to the story however, as I'm a WW1 historian and I have been to this battlefield many times.

The first time the Germans used gas was at the 2nd battle of Ypres, Belgium. The Canadians had in fact recently taken over from the French in French trenches which were in a terrible state. When the gas attack came 2 medics in the Canadian lines knew it was chlorine gas and instructed the men to pee in their handkerchiefs and breathe through that, as the acidic urine would crystallize the chlorine gas. However to their left and right the French Colonial troops broke and ran.

Furthermore the rifle the Canadians used was the crappy Ross Rifle, as the politicians in Canada wanted a Canadian made rifle for the troops and not the fantastic British made Lee Enfield. The Ross rifle was prone to jamming and in the muddy trench conditions the rifle was constantly jamming. So you had a Canadian soldier breathing through a urine soaked hanky with one hand and firing this shitty rifle with the other, while his mate behind him was kicking the breech open with his foot unjamming the weapon and trying not to blow his head off in the process. The Canadians actually retreated but not after several counterattacks where they did win some ground back.

The famous Brooding Soldier statue near St Julien Belgium stands today as a commeroration of the battle and this battle also inspired the poem In Flanders Fields by John McCrae.

1000x400-st-julien.jpg

The Canadians had a well earned fearsome reputation by the Germans, who always wanted to know where the Canadians were, as they knew that was where the main Allied attack would always come.

So how in the hell do you expect me to hate the Leafs anymore after a story like that?!?!?!?!

Damn you Leaf fans LOL...

Good luck to you, but it will be fun to watch Tkachuk drive you guys nuts.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Lyon is a 30 year old journey man with putrid stats before his 7-10 game stretch. He also let in a bunch of stinkers to get himself out of the series.

What are you talking about here?

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Ah ok, I honestly had no idea, or I just forgot, thanks! That actually is a great story.

I am going to give you a slight correction to the story however, as I'm a WW1 historian and I have been to this battlefield many times.

The first time the Germans used gas was at the 2nd battle of Ypres, Belgium. The Canadians had in fact recently taken over from the French in French trenches which were in a terrible state. When the gas attack came 2 medics in the Canadian lines knew it was chlorine gas and instructed the men to pee in their handkerchiefs and breathe through that, as the acidic urine would crystallize the chlorine gas. However to their left and right the French Colonial troops broke and ran.

Furthermore the rifle the Canadians used was the crappy Ross Rifle, as the politicians in Canada wanted a Canadian made rifle for the troops and not the fantastic British made Lee Enfield. The Ross rifle was prone to jamming and in the muddy trench conditions the rifle was constantly jamming. So you had a Canadian soldier breathing through a urine soaked hanky with one hand and firing this shitty rifle with the other, while his mate behind him was kicking the breech open with his foot unjamming the weapon and trying not to blow his head off in the process. The Canadians actually retreated but not after several counterattacks where they did win some ground back.

The famous Brooding Soldier statue near St Julien Belgium stands today as a commeroration of the battle and this battle also inspired the poem In Flanders Fields by John McCrae.

View attachment 701052

The Canadians had a well earned fearsome reputation by the Germans, who always wanted to know where the Canadians were, as they knew that was where the main Allied attack would always come.

So how in the hell do you expect me to hate the Leafs anymore after a story like that?!?!?!?!

Its going to be hard for me to hate Tkachuk since I was such a big fan in his London days.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Lyon is a 30 year old journey man with putrid stats before his 7-10 game stretch. He also let in a bunch of stinkers to get himself out of the series.

What are you talking about here?
This is the same guy that questioned if Jack Campbell made the Oilers a top 5 team. :help:

• Haha
Reactions: Space Coyote

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Should be Toronto in 5 or 6 as long as they don't shoot themselves in teh foot like the Ruins did

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Don’t get all the “Leafs easily” comments.

Were all concerned about having the play the Bruins and they were bested. Don’t see how the team that beat them are suddenly a way easier out. Should be a good series
There's no easy outs in the playoffs.

But, we're not gunna act like Florida beating the best team to ever play...AND giving Toronto home ice (plus higher pick) - isn't a positive for the Maple Leafs and their fans? Orrr

Reactions: Rude Dog

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nylander 100% agreed with you he is best when he is given ice to skate. Marner as well to an extent. But Matthews, Tavares, ROR, Knies, Jarnkrok, ZAR, Lafferty, basically every other forward is better on the forecheck than the rush.

Panthers were activating their D against the Bruins a lot and that is a mistake vs the Leafs. I think I lost count of how many times the Bruins had numbers the other way exactly like this

That's exactly why they should consider opening it up. I think the Leafs have the personnel to better defend the rush vs. what FLA has at their disposal.

Marner and Matthews are lethal rush players. The Leafs' current playstyle just doesn't leverage that. They should want to get Matthews in more 3v2 rush situations, like how he scored the 2-4 goal in Game 4. Particularly against a vulnerable Cats' blueline that isn't good against the rush.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

View attachment 701052

I wonder if he is still going to go soft on Marner, I have seen many times where Tkachuk will hammer 1 of the D men but practically snuggle Marner.
Keep in mind those 2 are super close, Marner and both Tkachuk bros are close and due to that Matthews, Marner and the Tkachuk brothers hang out in the summer a ton.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Joseph Woll is probably our best all around goalie, so I am not too worried there.

• Love
Reactions: BayStBullies

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
needless to say, the fact Tkachuk, Marner and Matthews are close could make for some epic chirps

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I wonder if he is still going to go soft on Marner, I have seen many times where Tkachuk will hammer 1 of the D men but practically snuggle Marner.
Keep in mind those 2 are super close, Marner and both Tkachuk bros are close and due to that Matthews, Marner and the Tkachuk brothers hang out in the summer a ton.
Nothing is off the table in the playoffs. Look how all the Tampa players treated Schenn during the series and then afterwards.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Its going to be hard for me to hate Tkachuk since I was such a big fan in his London days.

I wanted the Oilers to draft him SO badly but we took Puljujarvi LOL. A classic Oiler move.

Well I have a funny feeling that you will hate Tkachuk by the end of the series. He has that effect on his opponents fan base.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Personally i have more faith in Woll than Lyon and its not even close... Alex Lyon is nothing else than an Andrew Hammond 2.0... crap goalie who came from nowhere and played over his head for a short period and helped his team to reach playoff but failed on playoff.

And samsonov since the beggining of season is one of 8 best g in the NHL...

if you removing the 1st game, he had the same kind of stats he had all year long...

After game 1... 0,918 sv% 2,58 gaa was samsonov stats and he stole 2 game...
Vs
Brobrosvky played like Bobrovsky ... by being inconsistent... 1 awful game, 1 great game, 1 awful game, one great game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad