ECSF: Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) ( Florida Leads 3-1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm not talking about individual players. I'm talking about style of play. Tampa wanted to play low-event hockey. And for the most part, they did just that very well. The Leafs were able to battle through and score the big goals.

I think the Panthers will be more willing to open things up and trade chances. So I expect there to be more mistakes (by both teams) and more goals.

What does this mean? Leafs prefer low event hockey as well. I swear no one has watched this Leafs team but think they are experts and the Leafs are run and gunning past the bolts

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
What does this mean? Leafs prefer low event hockey as well. I swear no one has watched this Leafs team but think they are experts and the Leafs are run and gunning past the bolts

I'm saying the Panthers are going to play a different style than the Lightning. It'll be a different type of challenge.

Reactions: 3headeddragon

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
You do realize Florida was the better team most of the series right? Some of you just started watching hockey and it shows.
Yup just started yesterday thanks for noticing...and I don't know if you actually watched the games but Boston had massive swaths of the game where Florida couldn't even touch the puck...they're opportunistic and they're firing on all cylinders...this series will come down to Bob vs Samsonov...it will be fun to watch, if Bob regresses then Florida will get demolished

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm not talking about individual players. I'm talking about style of play. Tampa wanted to play low-event hockey. And for the most part, they did just that very well. The Leafs were able to battle through and score the big goals.

I think the Panthers will be more willing to open things up and trade chances. So I expect there to be more mistakes (by both teams) and more goals.

People don't actually watch the Leafs, they just think they're Oilers East.

Tampa likes to play 'low event hockey', allowed 252 goals against in the regular season.
The Leafs prefer 'run and gun', allowed 222 goals against in the regular season.

In fact, Tampa scored more goals than the Leafs in the regular season too. I think he's mixing the teams up. Tampa is more of a run and gun team than Toronto. The Leafs allowed the same number of goals against as the Islanders - another solid run and gun team. :sarcasm:

Reactions: BayStBullies

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yep. The Leafs themselves are a low-pace team. They prefer to hold the puck in the offensive zone rather than trade rush chances.

They may want to make an adjustment against FLA to open it up more though.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Did you not watch any of the games or something? They totally outplayed Boston tonight.
Watched all the games and NO they did not lol maybe for small pieces but Boston owned the puck for large chunks of the game, OT was all Panthers

It'll be a fun series to watch , I'm looking forward to it as I can't see Florida retreating into a shell and the Leafs either

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Did they just forget Tkachuk, who also had 11 pts?
Tkachuk is going to take it personally.

Round 1: Everyone counted us out
Round 2: I'm not the best American player
Round 3: Against the Canes, we're the real Finland team in the US

:laugh:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Florida might be a worse matchup to the Leafs than Boston. They are very gritty and Bruins were pretty banged up.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Since theres no playoff history between the two clubs, I guess we can start the hate fest with Gudas.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yep. The Leafs themselves are a low-pace team. They prefer to hold the puck in the offensive zone rather than trade rush chances.

They may want to make an adjustment against FLA to open it up more though.

No way opening it up isn't going to be good because it is the opposite of how the team has played. Panthers goal should be to open up the series.

I'll tell you exactly how to beat the Leafs

- Pressure on forecheck and not allow us to breakout like Tampa was doing. If we get clean breakouts goodnight.
- Hope Samsonov comes crashing back down to earth
- Hope our stars are content with a first round win and coast

If they let the Leafs hold the puck, they are better at it than the Panthers. They can defend better than the Panthers. Can cycle better, score greasy goals better. Panthers need to be on the Leafs dmen and not allow them time and space to make clean breakouts

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Who is a ghost when it counts

You mean in OT when the game is on the line? Just admit you didnt watch the game at all... He was the most clutch player all series long. You're making it sound like he scored points when they didnt matter. When in fact he scored them and was a part of the most important goals all series including the OT which he created and setup. Crazy to think "he didnt show up" when it mattered most. I'm all for hot take opinions but not an opinion that circumvents the facts that happened on the ice. Thats just outright false.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
People don't actually watch the Leafs, they just think they're Oilers East.

Tampa likes to play 'low event hockey', allowed 252 goals against in the regular season.
The Leafs prefer 'run and gun', allowed 222 goals against in the regular season.

In fact, Tampa scored more goals than the Leafs in the regular season too. I think he's mixing the teams up. Tampa is more of a run and gun team than Toronto. The Leafs allowed the same number of goals against as the Islanders - another solid run and gun team. :sarcasm:

Again, I'm not talking about how the Leafs play.

I'm talking about how the Panthers play compared to how the Lightning play.

The Panthers will approach this series much differently than the Lightning did.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Again, I'm not talking about how the Leafs play.

I'm talking about how the Panthers play compared to how the Lightning play.

The Panthers will approach this series much differently than the Lightning did.

Maybe, but we're going to find out if it was a question of the Panthers playing well or the Bruins choking.

The Panthers were a stronger run and gun team last year, and Tampa Bay swept them after going 7 with Toronto.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Judging by the multiple threads I've read and countless comments, Leaf fans think this will be an easy series.

Hope it doesn't bite them in the ass
I think it’s the opposite, but people see what they want to see.

The margin of victory in playoffs is paper thin. It will be a tough hard series. Knowledgeable Leaf’s fans know this.

Are the Leafs favourites, ya probably.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Toronto fans seems to prefer this match up, but beware, these kittens got claws. Hoping for a long fun series.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Maybe, but we're going to find out if it was a question of the Panthers playing well or the Bruins choking.

The Panthers were a stronger run and gun team last year, and Tampa Bay swept them after going 7 with Toronto.

And we're going to find out whether the Leafs played well or just capitalized on a few bounces too, right?

After all, while the Leafs and Panthers won their series, the Lightning and Bruins carried the play for much of those games. This could very easily be Bolts vs. Bruins. The margins were razor thin.

The Panthers have a different look to them this year, especially with Tkachuk leading the way. He, IMO, is the single best player in this series. With that said, the Leafs also have a very different look to them. So I think we're in for a fun round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad