GDT: ECQF Game 3: Your New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers, 8 PM, ABC/ESPN+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah I really don't feel all that much better after this game. We've been so offensively inept that my one hope now is Schmid just stealing the series
That OT gave me a little hope. Bratt seemed to figure something out in overtime. He was flying. Maybe they finally lost their nerves? Maybe the Rangers were fatigued from grinding for 3 games? I don't know but If we can see a little more of that from the team like what we saw in OT we can score a few more goals.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Let’s call a spade a spade, Meier intentionally fell into Igor. It was a dangerous/borderline dirty play and we lucked out with the result. That said we got the short end of the stick all night on awful officiating so it was nice to be on the other side of it
And exactly the thing you need to do to scratch and claw your team back into a series. I rate that play by Timo just under Hughes resulting PP goal. F’ em, seek and destroy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I am so happy they won...

But this wasn't a well played game by us or some magnificent goaltending performance.

The only difference between last night and the first two games was our PK was excellent. Had it not been, last night's game would've been exactly the same as the first two.

Had the Rangers converted on a couple of their PPs it's 3 to 1 and then we have to try to skate through their gauntlet and they pick up a couple of extra goals counterpunching. They laid their game plan perfectly again, this time they just didn't get the PP goals they did in the first two games to force us to play from behind and skate through 4 men stacked at the blue line and then collapse to their net.

The lack of scoring is still the issue for us. We can't win games regularly like we did last night.

We looked very good in OT, maybe the best flow and creativity of the entire playoffs was in last night's OT. But if we can't score a few more goals and give our Defense and goaltending some breathing room, it's a matter of time until the Rangers adjust their PP and execute their game plan just like the first two games.
tbh the PK wasn't really "excellent"...NY flubbed some chances and Schmid made some good saves. The Rangers had 18 CF, 7 HDCF and 1.48 xG on the PP.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
tbh the PK wasn't really "excellent"...NY flubbed some chances and Schmid made some good saves. They had 18 CF, 7 HDCF and 1.48 xG on the PP.
The pk was excellent.

Not only was the PK excellent it was the only reason we were able to stay on the game for as long as we did.

Reactions: Blender

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The pk was excellent.

No it wasn't. This just shows how goals colors peoples view.

you were told correctly. They scored nearly 300 goals this year dude. Three games doesnt change that.

The final 6 weeks of the season they had 65 xGF at 5v5. That was far and away the best in the league. They had 50 actual goals. Things turned around a bit towards the very end with Pens and the Sabres games being good (Hawks and Jackets AHL teams don't count). Outside of that they were routinely finishing like shit and couldn't do anything against top goalies. What a surprise they can't do shit against Igor.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No it wasn't. This just shows how goals colors peoples view.

The final 6 weeks of the season they had 65 xGF at 5v5. That was far and away the best in the league. They had 50 actual goals. Things turned around a bit towards the very end with Pens and the Sabres games being good (Hawks and Jackets AHL teams don't count). Outside of that they were routinely finishing like shit and couldn't do anything against top goalies. What a surprise they can't do shit against Igor.

now do the first 20 weeks of the season, since you know, the entire 82 games matter, not just ~15 games.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They at least tried to defend the Kreider tips finally though a lot of our improved D was just the Rangers getting intimidated by Schmid’s size and shooting a lot of pucks wide and high (Panarin alone missed the net on 3-4 quality chances).
Schmid has excellent positioning and is very stable with his angles. It makes a big difference.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Generating shots and chances is very clearly and obviously the primary issue, not “finishing”. This is just something you want to be right about. They aren’t playing at all like they have in the regular season, that’s why the goals aren’t there.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean, I think both things can be right, the Devils did a better job against the Rangers PP, they shut down one power play entirely, but they did give up some big chances that either Schmid stopped or were yanked wide, the biggest being that shot by Panarin on the last PP.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So the devils have been the better team 5 on 5. We just can’t buy a f***ing goal. Rags have the scoring 6-1. Special teams has been a giant miss match though.
View attachment 694686View attachment 694687
I can't take much positive from a stat sheet in which we were smoked in two of those games.

Hopefully last nights game get's our heads right and we can get a breakout game offensively.

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean, I think both things can be right, the Devils did a better job against the Rangers PP, they shut down one power play entirely, but they did give up some big chances that either Schmid stopped or were yanked wide, the biggest being that shot by Panarin on the last PP.
It wasn’t exactly a high bar to clear to improve off the first two games when they gave up the exact same goal four times, but ‘excellent’ is still a way off

Reactions: Blender

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think the one obvious question would be what did we do to limit the Kreider chances in front?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
honestly i think just having confidence and a win under our belt is going to make a difference. at least i hope so. they just need to stop being so timid getting the puck to the net 5v5, they still overpassed and waited for perfection instead of crashing the net and seeing what happens

Camille the Eel

I think the one obvious question would be what did we do to limit the Kreider chances in front?
Put Marino on him every second to tie him up and neutralize him.

When the broadcast crew was carrying on about Hughes falling down, I was surprised that no one mentioned how shit the ice was at MSG last night. It was a huge factor all game long. Soft, where edges were a challenge and the puck sticking and hopping too. I wonder even whether the Rangers didn’t soften the track, thinking to slow us down.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad