GDT: ECQF Game 3: Your New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers, 8 PM, ABC/ESPN+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Feels good winning last night however we still need to play a better game tomorrow night if we want to come back to the Rock tied up.

The biggest positive is our speed was finally a difference maker but it really wasn't until the overtime did we see that.

Hopefully getting our first 5x5 goal will break the ice in that regard.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Sal went over it in the post game. It was a combo of limiting kane's lane and the right D Marino sliding across to the left post to nullify Kreider and/or Kane's pass from the point.
Looked to me like they just had almost an anchor D who would slide post to post if the other D went higher slot but he wouldn’t and stayed on the left post covering the tip once the play stayed on that side. Sometimes it was a box sometimes a diamond but that one D stayed low regardless where before they were pushing both D up into the slot leaving Kreider alone.

But I was a bundle of nerves and several manhattans in so who knows.

Drivingrain

Jan 17, 2021
/

What to make of the overtly confident Rangers media, coach and fans? ..notably the players are more introspective/less-cocky.

I guess I should not be surprised.

Watching the Rangers MSG postgame always seems like watching an Aaron Boone post-game press conference where every game it's one of just two things (1) our guys are the best, or (2) our guys are the best, they just need to execute.

On one hand, the Rangers deserve to be confident. They've earned that right over these 3 particular games. However if I am them, I am racing the Devils to the top of the "we need to work harder" or "this is a series now, and we need to clamp down" pile. Saying more things like "whoever won last in the NHL playoffs has the momentum and the Devils have earned the momentum and we need to work hard and take it back"

Im not sure any of it matters much unless the Rangers players are listening to it and taking it in-- but Im a little taken a back about how ambivalent the Rangers-verse is about a playoff loss and a 2-1 series.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sal went over it in the post game. It was a combo of limiting kane's lane and the right D Marino sliding across to the left post to nullify Kreider and/or Kane's pass from the point.
Thanks, didn't watch the postgame, I wonder if that adjustment is what left open the Panarin one timer?

Put Marino on him every second to tie him up and neutralize him.

When the broadcast crew was carrying on about Hughes falling down, I was surprised that no one mentioned how shit the ice was at MSG last night. It was a huge factor all game long. Soft, where edges were a challenge and the puck sticking and hopping too. I wonder even whether the Rangers didn’t soften the track, thinking to slow us down.
If Kreider is hiding off to the side of the net, from where he deflected 2 of his goals, sticking a defender directly to him leaves the middle of the ice wide open.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
So pumoed for the win of course but we still are not playing like we can.
The OT was the closest to what we can play like .
I am hoping that is the start to us turning the corner somewhat and coming out next game playing more confident and not falling all over ourselves.
It still feels like we are playing about 60% of what we can do. The effort is there , but the execution is not .

That OT gave me a little hope. Bratt seemed to figure something out in overtime. He was flying. Maybe they finally lost their nerves? Maybe the Rangers were fatigued from grinding for 3 games? I don't know but If we can see a little more of that from the team like what we saw in OT we can score a few more goals.
Seems like they found more open ice when they cross lanes and make the Rangers switxh coverage . I hope it’s something they picked up on and can continue doing .

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He had a nice screen on Jack’s goal but man Palat is struggling out there. He’s just laboring and laboring. Everything seems difficult for him.

He needs to be taken off the top 6.

He's gotta be still injured. After he got his face busted in last segement of reg season up his game fell worse than it was even before.

Hoping he will get a big goal in this series to ease the pressure for team and himself.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
giphy.gif

f***ing wired.
I absolutely love Nico and Dawson’s reactions. The kids were HYPED.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Dougie went straight to where those doichenozzles that I previously mentioned were sitting. Beautiful.
I wonder why Dougie wasn’t that pumped ? He has been way more pumped for other goals he’s scored ? He just kinda skates around and leaves the huddle ? Maybe it’s just that he knows we still have a long way to go ?

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I wonder why Dougie wasn’t that pumped ? He has been way more pumped for other goals he’s scored ? He just kinda skates around and leaves the huddle ? Maybe it’s just that he knows we still have a long way to go ?

He's scored some ot goals in the regular season that he just stood there too, he has a goofy sense of humor so I think the celebrations are perfect for him lol

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
I understand some guys of you not being happy with the way we played last night but you have to give the Rangers some credit here.

I wasn't able to watch the first two games so this is all based of off yesterday's game but the Rangers are absolutely clogging down or rather trapping up the neutral zone and are absolutely killing our speed through it. It's crazy because they're doing it very well and everyone buys into it. Basically every play of us is forced to the boards. It was an ugly, "boring" game and a lot of Rangers fans came to the main boards or even in this thread to mention that. The Rangers are the reason for that.

They're feasting on the desperation of our young guys trying to force something instead of doing the right play. We weren't doing that in the first two games but did it yesterday pretty well in my eyes. Schmid helped a lot. But you could start to notice things to open up, especially in OT. It's hard to keep up a defensive system like the Rangers for such a long time against a highly skilled and fast team like ours and in the end we were seeeing more of a Devils type game with more back and forth and chances. And we were able to capitalize.

So we need to continue that. Go for the smart and safe play. Get the puck deep. Be patient. We still need a top notch goalie performance but you always do in the playoffs.

Rangers are playing ugly Hockey and we probably feel like a lot of teams felt playing against us during our cup years. But yesterday gave me a lot of hope because we seemed like we figured them out, especially their PP but I thought so as well about their 5 on 5 play.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah I really don't feel all that much better after this game. We've been so offensively inept that my one hope now is Schmid just stealing the series
Just gotta hope that getting the first win calmed them down. Maybe jack won’t mishandle the puck every other chance or Hamilton will hit the net. Nico bratt finish their chances. Gotta start somewhere

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad