GDT: ECQF 4 | FLYERS (A) vs. Canadiens (H) | Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 | 3:00 pm ET | Flyers lead series 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
"So far 3 goals in 3 games. And ALL THREE have come with Giroux+Couturier on ice. First line have taken some criticism. But they are only ones to score so far. "

"~50 minutes with Giroux+Couturier on ice: 3 goals for. ~130 minutes without them together on ice: 0 goals for."

"I hate to keep harping on this, but the fact that JVR can’t fit in the lineup & Farabee has been in & out b/c you won’t break up a Hayes line that really hasn’t played well this series doesn’t make sense. You’re not playing your 12 best forwards due to 1 underperforming line."

the WORST thing that ever happened was the hayes line doing great lol. Who would've thunk it. I guess that line doing well did hurt the bottom 6 A LOT.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
The issue with the powerplay on the surface is actually the shots. Low danger non-one timers from Provorov from the point or mid board snappers from TK with minimal traffic in front will result in minimal goals. But why? What causes this?

Stationary players away from the puck. With no one hungry for open ice or opening up lanes away from the puck, the puck holder (Giroux or TK) is left with 2 options: shoot or dish it to the point.

Giroux won't shoot because he's better than that. I'd wager he mostly dishes to Provorov in an effort to get the ice moving, both opponents and teammates, so when the puck is returned to him, something opens up. But it rarely does, because his teammates love to watch.

TK doesn't have that type of hockey IQ, so he settles on ripping a shot.

Similarly, Provorov will also shoot in the same manner rather than play catch with G.

Is it coaching? Well... with similar personnel, this pp was lethal. Alas

Want to really puss yourself off? Watch how many times either Provorov or TK end up lined up directly with G and the bumper player. They effectively create one less passing lane to guard because try both try to settle into the same "soft spot" (hint, it's not soft). Nothing like minimising options and shrinking the open ice for your opponent to create am effective PP.

Couts is great, I see no flaws in the lineup. The cup should be a lock.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
The Hayes line has been awful... no reason to keep Laughton at LW.

28-14-11
25-13-93
49-21-62
12-38-18

We know JVR and TK can score. Goal should be getting them going.

idk that second line is so damn slow. Either they will dominate using their bodies or they will just be caught in their own zone on breakouts. I just don't llike it. Give the hayes line someone who can do the dirty work cus jvr/voracek won't really do it.

g-couts-tk
jvr-hayes-nak/pitlick
farabee-laughton-voracek
raffl-grant-nak/pitlick

Reactions: Rebels57

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
What more could you expect from him? Separate the contract from the player. He's a good complimentary player on a scoring line and a good PP player. So how are we using him? Put him with slop at ES and on PP2.

He's not being put into a position to succeed.

I think he’s played poorly. I understand he could also be put in a more optimal position in the lineup.

My frustration often lies with a mixture of coaching and players themselves. I’m not going to absolve him if I think he’s got a bit more to give, which I do.

Don’t agree with the scratch. Fletcher went dumpster diving for bottom 6 depth that for some reason are locks to play.

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
Hayes is effective 1v1 with his puck hog style, but it seems Montreal either swarms him or takes away any passes nullifying him

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
idk that second is so damn slow. Either they will dominate using their bodies or they will just be caught in their own zone on breakouts. I just don't llike it. Give the hayes line someone who can do the dirty work cus jvr/voracek won't really do it.

g-couts-tk
jvr-hayes-nak/pitlick
farabee-laughton-voracek
raffl-grant-nak/pitlick

Yeah, swapping Jake & NAK wouldnt be a bad idea.

No to Pitlick in the top 6. He's been pretty pedestrian this series.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh look. JVR getting scapegoated for his lines play now. Yeah, lets bench him instead of just using him properly. Definitely don't put him on the PP either.

I guess we didn't learn the importance of linemates when looking at the difference in Jakes play when he was with the 4th liners vs last game with real linemates. Surely it was all his fault he couldn't produce, same as JVR. It's not like we could break up our best line, offensively and defensively, the Hayes line. They've been amazing since the shooting luck ended.

AV is truly an awful coach.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"So far 3 goals in 3 games. And ALL THREE have come with Giroux+Couturier on ice. First line have taken some criticism. But they are only ones to score so far. "

"~50 minutes with Giroux+Couturier on ice: 3 goals for. ~130 minutes without them together on ice: 0 goals for."

"I hate to keep harping on this, but the fact that JVR can’t fit in the lineup & Farabee has been in & out b/c you won’t break up a Hayes line that really hasn’t played well this series doesn’t make sense. You’re not playing your 12 best forwards due to 1 underperforming line."

the WORST thing that ever happened was the hayes line doing great lol. Who would've thunk it. I guess that line doing well did hurt the bottom 6 A LOT.

But wait, I was repeatedly told they were invisible and people got mad when I said they were playing well.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Hayes is effective 1v1 with his puck hog style, but it seems Montreal either swarms him or takes away any passes nullifying him

i don't think its that. I think hayes has gone back to his early regular season hockey of holding it for too long and he just stops moving his feet. He makes one good move when he is moving his feet and gets around one guy...then he runs into trouble and DOESNT look to pass. He creates his own problems a lot when he can just make a pass.

Last game Montreal was changing and Myers read that. Hayes had the puck in the neutral zone and instaed of giving the puck to myers who could've taken off, he just held it and waited for montreal's change to finish. They swarmed him and he just dumped the puck in deep and gave away possession. Just stupid and dumb af from hayes

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Yeah, swapping Jake & NAK wouldnt be a bad idea.

No to Pitlick in the top 6. He's been pretty pedestrian this series.

I like pitlick and want to see him away from thompson. He can't really use that energy, motor, speed when we don't have the puck. Pitlick is best when he can get in on the forecheck. NAK is more skilled so i have no problem with him being on it but pitlick does work well with jvr

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like pitlick and want to see him away from thompson. He can't really use that energy, motor, speed when we don't have the puck. Pitlick is best when he can get in on the forecheck. NAK is more skilled so i have no problem with him being on it but pitlick does work well with jvr

He's fine, he's just not a better top 6 RW option than TK, Jake or NAK, so that puts him at 4RW.

Reactions: flyersNducks

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Because it’s ohhh so exciting, the ideal dream.

G-Coots-Konec
JVR-Hayes-Jake
Laughton-Frost-Pitlick
Farabee-Raffl-NAK

Honestly it’s not even the fit because I don’t think you find a perfect one, it’s just choosing the best players.

Reactions: wankstifier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium