GDT: ECQF 4 | FLYERS (A) vs. Canadiens (H) | Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 | 3:00 pm ET | Flyers lead series 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I mean, it's pretty clear to me we are pretenders right now after watching this series.

If we had Oskar and NP in place of Thompson & Grant, a functional PP, and a stable 3rd pairing, I think we'd be legit contenders. The window is open for next season.

I don’t count my chickens. As you never know how many opportunities you’re going to get at this thing. I rather go down swinging than with the bat on my shoulder.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t count my chickens. As you never know how many opportunities you’re going to get at this thing. I rather go down swinging than with the bat on my shoulder.

No doubt. I want this group to be given opportunity to win right now with the available players they have. It doesn't look like that's gonna happen though. Even if it did, i'm not sure they can do anything with this bottom 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
imagine what this team could've looked like:

g-couts-voracek
lindblom-patrick-tk
jvr-hayes-farabee
raffl/pitlick-laughton-nak

But you know even if we had patrick/lindblom that they would still use thompson/grant lmao. man I really really really wanted to see that 2nd line this year.
Just wait until next year and.you will see it.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I mean, it's pretty clear to me we are pretenders right now after watching this series.

If we had Oskar and NP in place of Thompson & Grant, a functional PP, and a stable 3rd pairing, I think we'd be legit contenders. The window is open for next season.
One series does not necessarily mimic the next (though there's a good chance they will be playing a similar team if they reach round 2 :laugh: ).

I wouldn't write them off as pretenders yet.

There is a litany of bizarre things through three games in this series, but I still have confidence in a deep run.

The worst thing that could happen in round 2 for our viewing pleasure is a date with the Isles, but I'd rather see that than the alternative...

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
One series does not necessarily mimic the next (though there's a good chance they will be playing a similar team if they reach round 2 :laugh: ).

There is a litany of bizarre things through three games in this series, but I still have confidence in a deep run.

The worst thing that could happen in round 2 for our viewing pleasure is a date with the Isles, but I'd rather see that than the alternative...
A Washington team on a 4 game win streak to come back from down 3-0 could be an ugly thing or depending on the drain could be a good thing.

Reactions: Rebels57

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

as things are going right now I think it is the isles IF we win this series. Bruins and tampa are going to play next round, unless montreal beats us. Isles are a better version of montreal but they don't ave as great goaltending. Lindblom should help but we are going to need jvr/ghost.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
anyone have the numbers of ghost-hagg pairing? Why won't they just try that? I like braun but he hasn't been that amazing and we have 5 pkers still in the lineup..

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Yeah, I'm not writing this team off at all. Matchups are a big deal and the Habs are an interesting one. I don't expect the team to look or play the same against others as we are right now.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The worse thing to happen to this team was the first seed. Now there are expectations and fear of losing to the 12 seed in the first round that has the franchise turtled up. If they do get past Montreal, I don’t think It’s necessarily how they are going to play going forward.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’m glad to know Laughton’s dandy of a game was held accountable. That line has done jack shit, and they still could easily move him down to 3C to accommodate the better talent. But this is what happens when they don’t want to look at one line’s expiration date because they liked it in the past, and they’re totally whiffing their evaluation on the bottom 6 lines.

We are totally blowing out Montreal today.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The worse thing to happen to this team was the first seed. Now there are expectations and fear of losing to the 12 seed in the first round that has the franchise turtled up. If they do get past Montreal, I don’t think It’s necessarily how they are going to play going forward.

This is exactly it. They should remember that the window is just opening and be a lot bolder in their decision making. Fortune favors the bold and all.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m glad to know Laughton’s dandy of a game was held accountable. That line has done jack shit, and they still could easily move him down to 3C to accommodate the better talent. But this is what happens when they don’t want to look at one line’s expiration date because they liked it in the past, and they’re totally whiffing their evaluation on the bottom 6 lines.

We are totally blowing out Montreal today.

And accountability is a myth. There's only scapegoating by this staff.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
No doubt. I want this group to be given opportunity to win right now with the available players they have. It doesn't look like that's gonna happen though. Even if it did, i'm not sure they can do anything with this bottom 6.
If the flyers top 2 lines can get going offensively our bottom 6 is fine because it will open up a bit more for them. Raffl will be helpful, hopefully he can get his skating legs and mental awareness back sooner rather then later since he hasn’t played games besides one in months

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If accountability mattered, Therrien would have been fired before Christmas

tenor.gif

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016

And accountability is a myth. There's only scapegoating by this staff.

Do you guys really believe they should punish laughton for one bad game after he has been terrific going back to the second half of “last season “?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Do you guys really believe they should punish laughton for one bad game after he has been terrific going back to the second half of “last season “?

It's less about punishment and more about improving the bottom 6 and scratching Thompson instead of JVR. The fact that the 2nd line hasn't done shit in all 3 games is very concerning too.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
It's less about punishment and more about improving the bottom 6 and scratching Thompson instead of JVR. The fact that the 2nd line hasn't done shit in all 3 games is very concerning too.
I do agree with the Thompson debacle and I believe ghost should be playing but tbh all of our lines have had trouble and if the top 2 lines can get going I think that helps the bottom 6 get more chances to score as well. I felt like laughton was trying to do to much to try and spark something but ended up making mistakes instead, I think he’s smart enough to not repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad