GDT: ECQF 4 | FLYERS (A) vs. Canadiens (H) | Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 | 3:00 pm ET | Flyers lead series 2-1

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean, it's pretty clear to me we are pretenders right now after watching this series.

If we had Oskar and NP in place of Thompson & Grant, a functional PP, and a stable 3rd pairing, I think we'd be legit contenders. The window is open for next season.

It was clear we were pretenders even during the hot streak, I always thought this team was only going as far as Hart could carry them this year. Playing Frost won't make a lick of difference, getting Lindblom back at near 100% might, but that won't be until well into September.

It's not just talent, but inexperience - look at Sanheim/Myers, one game they're dogshit, the next all pros. Which is what happens when you play a lot of young players with limited playoff experience in major roles - which is why teams often make a big run the second season they hit the playoffs, the kids get time to absorb the experience and a year to raise their game.

We're starting 7 players under 25, two more injured, plus Hagg, Bunnaman, Frost and Friedman.
And next year Laczynski, Allison, Sushko, Kase, Rubtsov, Hogberg and Zamula may be NHL ready by the time the playoffs roll around.

Reactions: JXC

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
I think it’s a preference thing as well. I personally have enjoyed the game. I’m a defense guy though. So the physical grind it out hockey is appealing to me. Stressful though... very stressful.
I don’t mind defensive games either but geeze at least let’s see some snarl, last game they were much more physical I hope they do the same today

Reactions: Swic21

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Feeling good baby feeling good. Let’s get control of this series. 3-1 would look oh so good.

also, since I’ll say it now, my bracket will go to hell. I have every single leader in the first round so far. Dallas and St Louis need to come through for me to go 8 for 8. Of course the flyers do as well.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Do you guys really believe they should punish laughton for one bad game after he has been terrific going back to the second half of “last season “?

1) I don't think he should be punished. I'm just pointing out how inconsistent and biased they are about who they decide to punish and who they don't. They punished Ghost and JVR for nothing but don't punish Laughton for something.

2) he wasn't really that good this season. He just had insane shooting luck.

I mean, I agree with you, but your also using a twitter post from nearly 2 weeks ago while that line was on a shooting heater. At that point, they were our best line.

I'm using that post to show what I said at the time, that it was ridiculous to make a statement like that off of a single game and that he's not able to evaluate that line properly.

It didn't make sense then and it aged exactly like I expected it to. Notice at the end, he says he's confident it'll continue. He shouldn't have been. Not if he understood the concept of unsustainable shooting %s. That line was never as good as it looked, Laughton was just scoring on like 1 out of every 5 shots, so it gave off the illusion of playing well.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
This board is worse than a US political discussion when it comes down to roster makeup. We are seeing the two best Goalies in this playoffs right now head to head. Games are going to be ugly nailbiters unless one team totally falls flat (see game 2)
Canadiens have a fast team and solid goaltending. Flyers have young players with little or no playoff experience. There was no scenario where this was going to result in lovely play.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
1) I don't think he should be punished. I'm just pointing out how inconsistent and biased they are about who they decide to punish and who they don't. They punished Ghost and JVR for nothing but don't punish Laughton for something.

2) he wasn't really that good this season. He just had insane shooting luck.

I'm using that post to show what I said at the time, that it was ridiculous to make a statement like that off of a single game and that he's not able to evaluate that line properly.

It didn't make sense then and it aged exactly like I expected it to. Notice at the end, he says he's confident it'll continue. He shouldn't have been. Not if he understood the concept of unsustainable shooting %s. That line was never as good as it looked, Laughton was just scoring on like 1 out of every 5 shots, so it gave off the illusion of playing well.
Yeah I mean maybe his shooting % was very high but he otherwise does always play a responsible defensive game and is capable of creating some scoring channces

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
This board is worse than a US political discussion when it comes down to roster makeup. We are seeing the two best Goalies in this playoffs right now head to head. Games are going to be ugly nailbiters unless one team totally falls flat (see game 2)
Or we could use our depth to our advantage and be the better team that we are. It isn't as if Carter Hart can't do it, but this shouldn't be coming down to if he plays better than Carey Price or not

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Where is everyone getting these lineup changes from, can't find it anywhere on twitter ???

And we win this game by 2 goals minimum

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
scary thing about the future...if AV is fired...theirrien takes over. Won't be for another 1 or 2 (maybe more, who knows) but it will not look good lol.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We have 17 players with playoff experience, let's not act like this is a mystery to these guys.

Edit: In particular as disappointments I've staring very hard at Niskanen and Hayes.

And maybe so we can put down this stupid "FAN FAVORITES NEVER GET CRITICIZED" falsehood many present, I supported and defended the acquisition of them both and have happily been a supporter of theirs all year. The problem isn't if a player is a "favorite" or not, it's about whether they're effective or not, or being used in a manner that will allow them to be effective.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Without looking to see who they are, I want to see if people can guess who each player is. No cheating.

Player A

13:07 5v5 TOI/gp

49.35 CF% (-2.30 rel)
49.61 xGF% (-1.42 rel)

1.59 5v5 points/60
0.79 5v5 goals/60
0.79 5v5 assists/60

2.01 total points/60
1.13 total goals/60
0.88 total assists/60
Player B

11:59 5v5 TOI/gp

52.95 CF% (2.06 rel)
55.60 xGF% (6.81 rel)

2.27 5v5 points/60
1.14 5v5 goals/60
1.14 5v5 assists/60

2.44 total points/60
1.16 total goals/60
1.28 total assists/60
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Feeling good baby feeling good. Let’s get control of this series. 3-1 would look oh so good.

also, since I’ll say it now, my bracket will go to hell. I have every single leader in the first round so far. Dallas and St Louis need to come through for me to go 8 for 8. Of course the flyers do as well.

LETS GOOOOO. We can't do anyhting about the lineup rn so lets just forget it and focus on what WE CAN do. Come our strong and pour it on the canadians. We still have a much better d core and have to use them and their offense. We need our defense to supplement the offense and that means guys like provorov, sanheim, and myers joining the rush. That also means guys like niskanen need to be ready and better. Lets get some garbage goals from the bottom 6 and some pp scoring.

My key for the last game was winning the special teams. We 100% should've given the amount of pp's we had but we at least nullified their chances as well. Get on montreal and make their forwards take some penalties again and go to work.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Yeah. Thompson/Laughton/Grant are what they are, and it's on AV for exposing them as much as he does.

Hayes and Niskanen are not this normally and they need to sort themselves out. Their performance is bad independent of anything the coaches have them doing.

Yup, both look slow and to top it off are making a lot of bad decisions.

I also need to see TK start producing offense. We are flirting with 10 games now, he needs points

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yup, both look slow and to top it off are making a lot of bad decisions.

I also need to see TK start producing offense. We are flirting with 10 games now, he needs points

Oh right, TK since this series started is another. Definitely. And cut the tantrums. Dude is supposed to be trolling the other team, not getting trolled or trolling himself.

I argued that Hayes and Niskanen would bring great utility in the playoffs so I'm not thrilled to have them proving me wrong as vigorously and unenthusiastically as they can.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And maybe so we can put down this stupid "FAN FAVORITES NEVER GET CRITICIZED" falsehood many present, I supported and defended the acquisition of them both and have happily been a supporter of theirs all year. The problem isn't if a player is a "favorite" or not, it's about whether they're effective or not, or being used in a manner that will allow them to be effective.

Same here. This all day. I loved Hayes and Niskanen all season. Both have been ass so far in this series though.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Oh right, TK since this series started is another. Definitely. And cut the tantrums. Dude is supposed to be trolling the other team, not getting trolled or trolling himself.

I argued that Hayes and Niskanen would bring great utility in the playoffs so I'm not thrilled to have them proving me wrong as vigorously and unenthusiastically as they can.

I never would of guessed Nisky would be one of the worst tho, that is not good.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

TK has been a big dissapointment to me. I guess he can't utilize his speed as much with how Montreal is playing, but I am more concerned about how he never shoots the f***ing puck. Last game he finally let one rip and blew it past Price off of the crossbar. He has passed up on far too many clean looks below the top of the circles.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I don't see Hayes playing much differently than he had prior, I just see the whole scheme of the team, and that line in particular, being pretty well-identified and thwarted. The Habs just know to give them nothing on the forecheck--keep it simple and quick getting out on the dump-ins, don't worry about starting the break in your own end--and to clog up those crossing lanes around the circles.

Hayes is doing Hayes, it just won't work if it's planned for. I don't see Kevin as a big "creative adjustments" guy either, so unless the coaches are making changes (they haven't) he's just gonna f***ing do what he's been doing and it's gonna work about as well as it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad