GDT: ECQF 4 | FLYERS (A) vs. Canadiens (H) | Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 | 3:00 pm ET | Flyers lead series 2-1

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
JVR was having a subpar season to begin with. Then broke his hand right before a several-month lay-off & couldn’t lift weights for a while. And he’s not exactly known for fitness, so you know he slacked off during the break.

He’s looked awful since the return. Not surprised, though. It was a worry.

Reactions: Jtown

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He had 4 months off, how fatigued can he be?
Even the year after the SC, when he was overused in the playoffs, he bounced back in the second half.

Either there's a nagging injury or the end is nigh.
Though consider this:
Niskanen CF 37.62, xGF 41.56
Ghost CF 39.14, xGF 42.33

In fact, all the defensemen have pretty bad raw metrics except Hagg (50.07 xGF) :sarcasm:

Top xGFrel:
Voracek +16.89
NAK +14.83
Laughton +14.34
Couts +12.51
Giroux +4.47
Braun +4.20
Ghost +3.31
Provorov +0.84

Then you have:
Raffl -26.3 [1 game and rust is an excuse]
Farabee -17.39
Thompson -11.49
JVR -6.74
Pitlick -6.09
Sanheim -4.98
Hayes -4.88
Grant -4.23
Myers -3.35
Niskanen -1.93

The Cup-run fatigue is a real thing. He's only gotten older. We don't know what level of PT and training he had this summer. It's perfectly feasible that hard usage last year has had an impact. Let's not forget we started seeing dips in quality of his play before the season ended, enough that talk of resting him was brought up.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Then got a 4 month break

TK, Hayes, and Niskanen are big reasons why this team is squeaking by right now.

Could it be the Laughton effect for Hayes and TK? Maybe. Could it be fatigue for Niskanen? Maybe. Regardless, if and when they find their games again, this team will go back to smoking teams. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later
He also had a multi-month break after the cup run but I was repeatedly told that was why he struggled the following season.
I'd also guess his training to stay in shape wasn't as good during this break as it is during a full normal offseason. But I don't know about that for sure, obviously.

Anyways, my point is that I don't think most of this team just suddenly forgot how to play hockey. I think a lot of it is factors outside of their control. Obviously I'm convinced a large part of it comes from coaching mistakes all year long, which has just been amplified during this series. For example, that Laughton-Hayes-TK line was never that good. It was just crazy lucky when it comes to shooting %s (which is why I brought up that it should be changed before the series started but people freaked out). And yet, even after the luck ended, that's the one line that hasn't been touched at all since the games started again. Instead they'd rather scratch JVR and boost Thompsons minutes.

I don't doubt that this roster can do some damage... there just needs to be changes. I think if that happens we'll see a lot of guys suddenly start playing better.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
@DancingPanther I lost track of time watching the Nakamura-Carlsen match. Not sure I have time for this game now. Oops. :laugh:
This guy is a chess master?

Shinsuke_Nakamura_bio--3c650eaea1b5721f81044fed17f543fd.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We are up 2-1 yet over half of our lineup have been trash so far in these 3 games and we have scored just 3 goals.

I voted that this series would go 6 games...I had Mtl winning 1 game outright and Price stealing a game. Well, we certainly lost game 2 outright. Hope we win this game to go up 3-1 in case Price does stand on his head in a win.

The upside...so many things and players can improve.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
NAK out for Bunnaman too.

Either AV has lost his f***ing mind or he hurt his foot blocking that shot.

Either way, we are f***ed. Probably the only consistently good forechecker the entire series.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
We are up 2-1 yet over half of our lineup have been trash so far in these 3 games and we have scored just 3 goals.

I voted that this series would go 6 games...I had Mtl winning 1 game outright and Price stealing a game. Well, we certainly lost game 2 outright. Hope we win this game to go up 3-1 in case Price does stand on his head in a win.

4-1 Flyers today, win it for Ducky !!!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

This was my view also and I still feel that way even with how poor the games look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad