GDT: ECQF 4 | FLYERS (A) vs. Canadiens (H) | Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 | 3:00 pm ET | Flyers lead series 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
An interesting point: Charlie O was saying that in the Habs post-game 3 presser/media coverage, they mentioned that the Flyers basically shut down the middle of the ice (both between blue lines and between the center of the ice and boards) and forced the Habs to alter their game plan.

The Habs like to use their centers to drive play up the middle, but the Flyers forced the Habs to use wingers as puck carriers, and the Habs were largely unsuccessful at breaking through.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
An interesting point: Charlie O was saying that in the Habs post-game 3 presser/media coverage, they mentioned that the Flyers basically shut down the middle of the ice (both between blue lines and between the center of the ice and boards) and forced the Habs to alter their game plan.

The Habs like to use their centers to drive play up the middle, but the Flyers forced the Habs to use wingers as puck carriers, and the Habs were largely unsuccessful at breaking through.
Stops their speed. Makes for a boring game that many on here didn’t like. But I’ll take another boring win please!

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Stops their speed. Makes for a boring game that many on here didn’t like. But I’ll take another boring win please!
The Flyers can both choke up the Habs' ice in the middle of the NZ and also attack on offense through transition hockey and controlled zone entries. They abandoned the latter

Therefore, Thompson should see 11 mins of 5v5 action

Last edited:
Reactions: pit and FLYguy3911

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The Flyers can both choke up the Habs' ice in the middle of the NZ and also attack on offense through transition hockey and controlled zone entries. They abandoned the latter

I didn't get the sense they abandoned it - the Habs just did a really solid job at denying clean entries. Most of the time, even on clean entries, the Flyers were forced to dump in behind the net, which Price promptly retrieved or at least disrupted.

If there's one weakness in Hart's game, it's his puck handling.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I didn't get the sense they abandoned it - the Habs just did a really solid job at denying clean entries. Most of the time, even on clean entries, the Flyers were forced to dump in behind the net, which Price promptly retrieved or at least disrupted.

If there's one weakness in Hart's game, it's his puck handling.
I’m not averse to dumping if the opposition forces you into it. But they absolutely have to avoid the trapezoid. Lobs to the corner or high off the glass please.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I’m as hard on JVR as anyone but sitting him and leaving 44 in. Sigh

I mean, unless you are playing JVR in the top 6/top 9, then Thompson definitely has more value.

At this point, I would put JVR in the top 6 for a game.

G/C/V
JVR/Hayes/TK
Farabee/Laughton/NAK
Raffl/Thompson or Grant/Pitlick

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Keep the Habs on the perimeter, and Hart focused on steering rebounds to the corners, and you kill their offense.
They'll still put up high Corsi, but low xGF, and that's what we saw in Game 3.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean, unless you are playing JVR in the top 6/top 9, then Thompson definitely has more value.

JVR would make sense at 2LW and Laughton at 3C, but Farabee is probably better at 3LW against the Habs with Grant as 3C.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

It’s certainly possible, but the habs are playing well and really executing a great game plan. You can counter it which the flyers started to do last game and will hopefully continue today. First they had to stop their speed. Now they can work on the transition and taking advantage of the habs’ aggressiveness.

They have just played 7 games after being off for 4 months. What flyer team ever does well in the first 10 games? I expect we will see steady improvement as the series and playoffs goes on.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015

Sounds like our coaches made a great adjustment to help get the playoff win.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

At this point, I would put JVR in the top 6 for a game.

G/C/V
JVR/Hayes/TK
Farabee/Laughton/NAK
Raffl/Thompson or Grant/Pitlick

FB_IMG_1597415028649.jpg

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
One is a decent player.

One is a turd :laugh:

I don’t disagree with wanting more from JVR, he was very impressive during the regular season.

What more could you expect from him? Separate the contract from the player. He's a good complimentary player on a scoring line and a good PP player. So how are we using him? Put him with slop at ES and on PP2.

He's not being put into a position to succeed.

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016
What more could you expect from him? Separate the contract from the player. He's a good complimentary player on a scoring line and a good PP player. So how are we using him? Put him with slop at ES and on PP2.

He's not being put into a position to succeed.

Bingo. The second line has been ass. Why not slot JVR on the second line, bump Laughton to 3C and bench Thompson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad