Player Discussion Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Isn't he in the same boat as Samuelsson? Last season of ELC? Did we sign Samuelsson before a game cut-off or something?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20230119_233331_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: Chainshot

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Elam needs to get his alma mater interested in having a D1 hockey team.

Please.

I lived in Hernando County for a brief spell in the 90's, I couldn't even find a store that carried those wood & plastic mylec street hockey sticks. For as many snow birds go down there, it's hard to drum up interest in hockey down in that region.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I lived in Hernando County for a brief spell in the 90's, I couldn't even find a store that carried those wood & plastic mylec street hockey sticks. For as many snow birds go down there, it's hard to drum up interest in hockey down in that region.

There are weird pockets of it but the nearest rink to me is an hour drive.

As for Cozens, he's more than answered any of my concerns from his draft year. I still see a Trevor Linden type of player, a guy who plays in all important situations and is a vital part of the core for years. Just imagine if his wingers were giving them some consistency?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yesterday solidified an impression that has been forming for me over this season. Dylan Cozens is becoming a clutch player. I think he is and will continue to become the guy you rely on to score those clutch goals. Apologies if someone has mentioned this before (we create a lot of posts on here lol)

I haven’t thought about that before but you might be onto something there

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
They could have had him a $6m/yr this past off season, but Adams was comfortable letting him go out and prove it. Now it'll cost them quite a bit more. It may be tough to even get him to take what Thompson is making.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
They could have had him a $6m/yr this past off season, but Adams was comfortable letting him go out and prove it. Now it'll cost them quite a bit more. It may be tough to even get him to take what Thompson is making.

I would have been very unhappy if they had signed him to 6 million a year this past summer.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I would have been very unhappy if they had signed him to 6 million a year this past summer.
And Adams would have been way out on a limb with the Thompson and Samuelson deals he closed. He took a lot of heat for those.

A lot has changed too. Now that the cap seems to be headed up by a significant margin over the next 5 years, these are now not crazy salaries.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Maybe. It would've been a bigger gamble than Samuelsson IMO but Cozens would also have a hand in things too. It's not a slam dunk that he would've taken an extension.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Maybe. It would've been a bigger gamble than Samuelsson IMO but Cozens would also have a hand in things too. It's not a slam dunk that he would've taken an extension.
Sure. And it's hearsay, but Andrew Peters has noted on more that one occasion that 'reportidly, he was asking for $6m/per'. I personally find Peters does not report things that aren't authentic and coming from a solid source.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I am one of the biggest Cozens supporters here, but he is 21 yrs in the last year of his ECL. Thompson got 7.1 with better stats going into his sixth year in the NHL. His extension only bought 1 RFA year, so the cost was in the 6 UFA years we bought.

Dylan if you give Dylan an 8 year extension, your buying 4 RFA years and 4 UFA years. So it absolutely should be less than Tage. I think 8 x 6 Mil. Personally, I might consider a 3 year bridge and then sign him to a seven year extention after 2 years. Likely a higher AAV, but you have more certainty of what your paying for, and you have him locked up until he is 32.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sure. And it's hearsay, but Andrew Peters has noted on more that one occasion that 'reportidly, he was asking for $6m/per'. I personally find Peters does not report things that aren't authentic and coming from a solid source.

I have yet to put faith in Peters (or Rivet) for anything and so I tend not to listen to their pod very much. *shrug* And that's even though I align on getting players who are more physical and bigger into the lineup, players who give a damn, etc...

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I have yet to put faith in Peters (or Rivet) for anything and so I tend not to listen to their pod very much. *shrug* And that's even though I align on getting players who are more physical and bigger into the lineup, players who give a damn, etc...
It's gotten better, but can be pretty bad sometimes. I skip the days JR is on, who I find totally idoitic, but they have Gionta and Vanek on weekly, and I like hearing what former players think about what is going on. Rivet was an early supporter of the Thompson and Samuelsson deals. They mentioned they interview Doug Gilmour, so I am looking forward to listening to that.

Peters is one of the few people in Buffalo with a platform that has access to 'soft' reporting from players, agents, and trainers. It's basically a wasteland of access.

Reactions: Chainshot

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I am one of the biggest Cozens supporters here, but he is 21 yrs in the last year of his ECL. Thompson got 7.1 with better stats going into his sixth year in the NHL. His extension only bought 1 RFA year, so the cost was in the 6 UFA years we bought.

Dylan if you give Dylan an 8 year extension, your buying 4 RFA years and 4 UFA years. So it absolutely should be less than Tage. I think 8 x 6 Mil. Personally, I might consider a 3 year bridge and then sign him to a seven year extention after 2 years. Likely a higher AAV, but you have more certainty of what your paying for, and you have him locked up until he is 32.
I think you are basing your opinion on the past. There are no more bridge deals for players like Cozens. He's a point a game. Tage undersold himself because he took the guaranteed money before he proved anything.

Look around the league at comps for Dylan. $7m/per at a minimum, and you wont get the 8th year. I think you are looking closer to $8m.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Boldy got 7 x 7 as a draft year comparable. Tage got 7.1 x 7 as an internal comparable.

Those are pretty reasonable and anywhere between 7-8 is probable. Anything less than 8 long-term will be well worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad