Player Discussion Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I think your misinterpreting what some have said because of a 2C label, we have another player playing at HIGH 1C level currently already is all people have said. If your thinking we might have a potential Sid/Maklin type thing shaping up for the future, I hope thats true.
Yes not quite as good as them though i see tage as a 40g 90 point guy here on out as in his year to year production while i see cozens as ppg selke caliber center. Maybe tage does hit 100 this year though certainly has the talent to do it

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think we're shaping up to have Richards/Carter version 2.0. I don't think Tage and DC will ever reach the heights of truly elite guys like Sid or McJesus or anything. But I think they both become legit #1 NHL centers.....and we have them both to play 40 total minutes a game.

The good thing is that they're not complete douchecanoes like Richards and Carter were at their age.
I think the Sabres center group may look a lot like the Kings from last decade. Kopitar, Carter, Richards. Team had a really, really hard time against the Kings because, among other things, they had three lines which could score, followed up by Stoll's checking line.

If Mittelstadt fills that role with better wingers, or Savoie or Ostlund step in down the road, that's where I see the Sabres. The Kings' center group was never at the Crosby, Malkin heights but arguable more effective.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Why do people assume Cozens is going to be a great 2 way player? They have good xGF%, but that’s because they produce at an outrageous rate. Their xGA/60 is one of the worst in the league.

I’m not saying he won’t, but none of that line’s current play suggests it.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Why do people assume Cozens is going to be a great 2 way player? They have good xGF%, but that’s because they produce at an outrageous rate. Their xGA/60 is one of the worst in the league.

I’m not saying he won’t, but none of that line’s current play suggests it.
Because of his play last year when they used him against the opposition's top line. He's not deployed like that this year to shelter the kids

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Because of his play last year when they used him against the opposition's top line. He's not deployed like that this year to shelter the other kids

Fixed that for you.....:D

Interesting, isn't it that at 21 with a February birthdate, Cozens is the senior member of the group, and with the benefit of 2+ seasons in the NHL, the most experienced at this level. Peterka actually played 42 games in the DEL with Munich in the DEL at age 17.

I'm very excited to witness what's going on with that line. We all know there will be ups and downs, but right now, these three are emblematic of the best of what Adams and Granato have hoped for with the team building philosophy they have adopted. They could/should be fixtures in the Sabres lineup for years to come - which is something I'm looking forward to.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Fixed that for you.....:D

Interesting, isn't it that at 21 with a February birthdate, Cozens is the senior member of the group, and with the benefit of 2+ seasons in the NHL, the most experienced at this level. Peterka actually played 42 games in the DEL with Munich in the DEL at age 17.

I'm very excited to witness what's going on with that line. We all know there will be ups and downs, but right now, these three are emblematic of the best of what Adams and Granato have hoped for with the team building philosophy they have adopted. They could/should be fixtures in the Sabres lineup for years to come - which is something I'm looking forward to.
You can see their growth on a game by game basis, so it'll be interesting to do a shift by shift analysis from their first games to couple end of season games. Right now all I care about is that work hard and continue to improve, because they're damn fun to watch

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Because of his play last year when they used him against the opposition's top line. He's not deployed like that this year to shelter the kids

Last year when he had 56% oz starts? If anything not deploying him to stop opponents top lines should result in him having better possession metrics.

This year he gets PK time, last year he was their 3rd choice. I don't think he was an analytics darling at Lethbridge. Again, I'd like it to be so just nothing jumps out as Selkie to me yet.

It feels like some of this is coming from that terrific outing early last year against Crosby; that was fantastic.

Reactions: jc17

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Last year when he had 56% oz starts? If anything not deploying him to stop opponents top lines should result in him having better possession metrics.

This year he gets PK time, last year he was their 3rd choice. I don't think he was an analytics darling at Lethbridge. Again, I'd like it to be so just nothing jumps out as Selkie to me yet.

It feels like some of this is coming from that terrific outing early last year against Crosby; that was fantastic.
The analytic folks really liked the pick back in 2019. What they were basing that on, I do not have handy.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would love for him to sign a matching deal to Tage. But I don’t think we will get that lucky.

I'm curious to see if they can parlay that love for one another into guys taking a little bit less to keep the band together? Cozens has made the comment about "We could play here together for a long, long time" himself.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

For those of you who like these advanced stats player cards. Pretty impressive.

This is like Eichel territory.

I would love for him to sign a matching deal to Tage. But I don’t think we will get that lucky.
I shouldn’t say this after last night but he’s arguably on track to provide more value than Tage at this rate, so even if the number starts with an 8, you’re still getting a big discount imo.

Reactions: Perry Tegula

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I shouldn’t say this after last night but he’s arguably on track to provide more value than Tage at this rate, so even if the number starts with an 8, you’re still getting a big discount imo.
I would be more than fine with an 8-8.5x8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad