Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If he said that (and not in a joking manner), fire him now. Seriously
A few people have asked now and we still don't know the context of it or if he even said it at all, but yeah it's super odd if it's a real quote.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
A few people have asked now and we still don't know the context of it or if he even said it at all, but yeah it's super odd if it's a real quote.
It's both funny and scary that it seems believable.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's not royal blue!

But really kind of a weird thing to say. 1) we saw him in a sabres sweater at the draft 2) he's currently not in a sabres sweater

I was so busy watching a snippet of him skating, I didn't even notice the wording of the tweet. :biglaugh:

Reactions: sabresnyper

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

the only other workable option if that is a real quote is to trade Jack. If he's not a #1 center, we cannot pay him 10 million per year

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Thanks-what did your cousin think of Cozens? (sorry for the hijack, Mods, but this is interesting IMO).
I mentioned in the Johnson thread about what my cousin who scouts thought about him. Orangeman asked for what he said about Cozens.

He likes Cozens. Likes the frame, the compete and the skating for his size. But him and the team he scouts for question his skill/creativity translating to the NHL level. He said there's an NHL player there, you just don't know if it's going to be a 3rd line checker, secondary scorer, or a guy who can drive his own line. That's all on development.

Which brings me back to the discussion we had I believe in this thread about what would be best for Cozens in terms of where to play next year. I understand what Jame and others were saying in wanting Cozens to play in the W next season. That is the place where he can work on his deficiencies the best. He can try creative moves to open up ice for himself or teammates without the repercussions that come at the NHL level. So if we want the Cozens that can drive his own line we need to put him in a spot where he can work on just that.

If he makes the team out of camp as an effective 3rd liner we very well could be stunting that offensive game and we get "stuck" with a solid middle six player going forward instead of what his full potential can be.

I've stated it twice already and I'll say it once more. If he proves he can handle himself out of camp then keep him here through November.(Spread out his 9 games so he can take time off and work with our staff on his skill development. Train in the gym with our guys. Maybe skip some road trips to keep the load from building up) Let him learn the pro life, experience the speed of the NHL, be around our team of trainers so we can monitor him a little more in terms of eating habits and such.
Send him down when camp opens for the WJC. Let him play whatever role Canada asks of him. Then let him go back to Lethbridge so he can dominate and build his confidence and work on the deficiencies in his game.

My fear with a full season in Lethbridge is complacency. If he goes out first week and puts 2-3 points a game he may just hit cruise control until playoffs.(He honestly doesn't seem like the type that would but you never know). That's why I like the path for next season I stated. Keep his season in the W short. So he'll try every game and stay motivated all year. With the Sabres he'll be motivated to stay up or prove he's not far away. Down to the WJC where he better be motivated to play for his country. And then the second half of the W season where it's playoff push and hard fought games.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I mentioned in the Johnson thread about what my cousin who scouts thought about him. Orangeman asked for what he said about Cozens.

He likes Cozens. Likes the frame, the compete and the skating for his size. But him and the team he scouts for question his skill/creativity translating to the NHL level. He said there's an NHL player there, you just don't know if it's going to be a 3rd line checker, secondary scorer, or a guy who can drive his own line. That's all on development.

Which brings me back to the discussion we had I believe in this thread about what would be best for Cozens in terms of where to play next year. I understand what Jame and others were saying in wanting Cozens to play in the W next season. That is the place where he can work on his deficiencies the best. He can try creative moves to open up ice for himself or teammates without the repercussions that come at the NHL level. So if we want the Cozens that can drive his own line we need to put him in a spot where he can work on just that.

If he makes the team out of camp as an effective 3rd liner we very well could be stunting that offensive game and we get "stuck" with a solid middle six player going forward instead of what his full potential can be.

I've stated it twice already and I'll say it once more. If he proves he can handle himself out of camp then keep him here through November.(Spread out his 9 games so he can take time off and work with our staff on his skill development. Train in the gym with our guys. Maybe skip some road trips to keep the load from building up) Let him learn the pro life, experience the speed of the NHL, be around our team of trainers so we can monitor him a little more in terms of eating habits and such.
Send him down when camp opens for the WJC. Let him play whatever role Canada asks of him. Then let him go back to Lethbridge so he can dominate and build his confidence and work on the deficiencies in his game.

My fear with a full season in Lethbridge is complacency. If he goes out first week and puts 2-3 points a game he may just hit cruise control until playoffs.(He honestly doesn't seem like the type that would but you never know). That's why I like the path for next season I stated. Keep his season in the W short. So he'll try every game and stay motivated all year. With the Sabres he'll be motivated to stay up or prove he's not far away. Down to the WJC where he better be motivated to play for his country. And then the second half of the W season where it's playoff push and hard fought games.

Honestly, how much creativity is allowed left in the game? The ice is so small and players so big. Teams are playing the prevent defense too.

I'm fine with a guy who may not be creative, because with his size, control, speed, shot, and overall game type, I think that is what is succeeding best in NHL.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Honestly, how much creativity is allowed left in the game? The ice is so small and players so big. Teams are playing the prevent defense too.

I'm fine with a guy who may not be creative, because with his size, control, speed, shot, and overall game type, I think that is what is succeeding best in NHL.
It's not just creativity. It's the skill as well. And by skill I mean more than just stick handling and dangles.

I understand what you're saying. But even if he isn't a flashy guy at the next level, the skills he has to make himself offensively successful at the NHL level he should work on against lower competition for a year(or half a year in my proposed development plan for next year).

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Info from my contacts in the Hawks org have a similar take. Feet may be too fast for his head. This stems mainly from a less than optimal amateur trajectory. Did not get on the normal path for someone of his skill til later. NB: the hawks had him high on their bd and think he will adapt and bloom later. I concur that the Dub may be the better path.

I am paraphrasing but the comment was normally the game slows down for the better players. Cozens increases his speed. Don't know what to make of it, but interesting take. And btw I like the kid. Would have preferred Zegras but think DC will be an productive NHLer.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Info from my contacts in the Hawks org have a similar take. Feet may be too fast for his head. This stems mainly from a less than optimal amateur trajectory. Did not get on the normal path for someone of his skill til later. NB: the hawks had him high on their bd and think he will adapt and bloom later. I concur that the Dub may be the better path.

I am paraphrasing but the comment was normally the game slows down for the better players. Cozens increases his speed. Don't know what to make of it, but interesting take. And btw I like the kid. Would have preferred Zegras but think DC will be an productive NHLer.

I think the book on Cozens has been consistent.

The fact that he grew up in the Yukon, he wasn't exposed to a lot of high end coaching early on and therefore he is more mature as an athlete than as a hockey player.

The hope will be that he has room to grow, he will put the work in, and things will get better with time.

While Toews had been the popular guy to look up to for centers in recent drafts, I like that Cozens threw Bergeron out as the guy that he wants to be like.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the book on Cozens has been consistent.

The fact that he grew up in the Yukon, he wasn't exposed to a lot of high end coaching early on and therefore he is more mature as an athlete than as a hockey player.

The hope will be that he has room to grow, he will put the work in, and things will get better with time.

While Toews had been the popular guy to look up to for centers in recent drafts, I like that Cozens threw Bergeron out as the guy that he wants to be like.

Hearing him talk and watching the bio interviews from his family, I feel sure he'll put in work on his game. And the question will be what does he wind up working on.

And a Bergeron comment is definitely warming. Toews seems to be fairly polarizing from his early days until now. Bergeron? Mr. Consistent.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
He better be no where but the WHL next year. Let him develop properly. So much development get stifled when young players don't get a chance to gain confidence in their skill set. Let him lead, develop and gain the proper confidence in his ability. Let him play in the WJCs with his peers and continue to gain the confidence that comes with succeeding at a level he is meant to be at.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Heard he looked great today. But it was from Harrington so it’s possible he was watching a completely different player and didn’t know it.

Thompson and Cozens are allegedly big standouts. Thompson should be, but its good to hear that on Cozens.

From the minimal I've seen, Olofsson has to be standing out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad