Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Hahaha I figured I'd hear about that. The good version of turris, but better skating and better shot.... And before he fell off the face of the Earth in Nashville. I guess it's not a great comparison considering all the doctoring I've just done but it was the first thing to come to mind

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Just curious- is a better skating Stafford a decent comparison? Assumes a lot of course, just kinda trying to get a feel for what he might end up being. Obviously it all depends on development, but I'm wondering if that's kinda the middle-of-the-road result.

Cozens has a pretty high floor IMO. I think the worst case scenario with him is you wind up with a player like Chris Kredier---a blazing power winger who'll score 20+ goals. He's gonna be a good player even if he doesn't become a great one.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Cozens has a pretty high floor IMO. I think the worst case scenario with him is you wind up with a player like Chris Kredier---a blazing power winger who'll score 20+ goals. He's gonna be a good player even if he doesn't become a great one.

Sweet, not a bad floor at all.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think his floor is a bit lower, Brett Connolly, imo. But Kreider seems like a middle ground in his projection. Kreider was a much more physical player at the time of his draft though. If you wanted to draft the highest floor player at that spot, I think it was Boldy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’m optimistic about this pick.

They need some big guys with skill. I know the big question with Cozens is his hockey IQ. But, given his background, he is a guy that is more physically mature than technically mature. And he outproduced Dach last year.

I think there is growth left for him and I also like how he has versatility to his game and can play up and down the lineup and at wing or center.

I won’t be shocked if he’s a lot like J Staal at the next level.

For the most part I agree. He has skills and skating they need in a package size they do not have. In terms of impact among forwards, he could potentially be huge for them (no pun intended). I like what he's said about being willing to play wherever he winds up in the lineup.

Assuming he follows the usual path for a player drafted around his position, seeing him go back to Lethbridge is fine. He said he wants to give making the Sabres his best shot and that if he doesn't make it, he'll go "back to Lethbridge and lead that team". A U20's performance would be a nice mid-point, seeing if he can outperform the more advanced members of his peer group is always a good sign in player development. And then of course, can he drive the car to get Lethbridge deep into the 'dub playoffs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Future Considerations had him at 10th:

Displaying an assortment of tantalizing tools, Cozens plays a highly effective 200-foot game. He’s dominant on the puck and shows a highly cerebral sense on how to create space. He uses his quickness, size and skill to get to where he wants to go. He has quick acceleration, good agility and great speed. When he plays hungry on the puck he uses his skating to create gaps. There’s even more power in his straight-away stride and he’s effective slowing down play and winding his way to open ice.

He’s big, rangy and will be an even bigger force when he fills into his frame. His vision is top notch and he distributes the puck well in the offensive zone, but his passes could use more precision and power. His has a deadly shot with a quick release and can be a dual threat. He can pick corners and has good velocity on his wrister, although he has some work to do on his slap shot. He uses his body well to defend and grinds along the wall. He reads the play well defensively, has great positioning and an active stick, but lacks a bit intensity. He’s solid at hunting down opponents on the backcheck, and he uses both his size and stick to battle for pucks and force turnovers. He shows emotion after the whistle, a willingness to confront physically, and gets into engagements in defense of his team. His enthusiasm and energy is contagious to teammates.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I've been wondering, after watching more tape of the kid, if some of the "hockey IQ" criticism isn't more based on poor execution than poor decision-making. He seems to have a good sense of where to be on the ice. What I'm noticing, however, is he can be imprecise with his passes, which can turn what would've been an unremarkable play into a turnover.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been wondering, after watching more tape of the kid, if some of the "hockey IQ" criticism isn't more based on poor execution than poor decision-making. He seems to have a good sense of where to be on the ice. What I'm noticing, however, is he can be imprecise with his passes, which can turn what would've been an unremarkable play into a turnover.

It's a little bit of that, a little bit of him focusing in on one option, both passing and skating as the play develops. He and the puck, or just the puck, are going here even if here is sealed off. He can power through it when skating, since he's an amazing skater, but there are times when it results in a turnover or missed opportunity. It's not a major issue for me at the moment, I still like the players at that tier and all of them had some level of wartiness.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’m excited to see him develop in the WHL the next year maybe two, id like to see the Sabres be patient with him. I don’t want another Mittelstadt/Thompson situation.

If properly developed, I think the Sabres could have a selke caliber two way Center on there hands.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I’m excited to see him develop in the WHL the next year maybe two, id like to see the Sabres be patient with him. I don’t want another Mittelstadt/Thompson situation.

If properly developed, I think the Sabres could have a selke caliber two way Center on there hands.

Sam Cosentino was on the NHL network this morning and said Cozens was one of maybe four players who
could make the jump this season or at least the 9 games. I'd be down to the 9 games and then his full season
in the WHL. Hopefully Botts fills up the roster so that there isn't even the room to consider this season.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Question: how is his name pronounced? Coe-zens or Cah-zens?

Edit: or, being Canadian, perhaps C-eh-zens? Okay, I'll show myself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rasmi

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sam Cosentino was on the NHL network this morning and said Cozens was one of maybe four players who
could make the jump this season or at least the 9 games. I'd be down to the 9 games and then his full season
in the WHL. Hopefully Botts fills up the roster so that there isn't even the room to consider this season.

I'd be fine with giving him 9. If nothing else, it'll give him a much more real sense of what it takes to play in the NHL--the pace, the physicality, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad