Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
His tape reminds me of Grigorenko's. NOT in style of play, but in "there's a few things I liked, and there's a lot to clean up" Doesn't seem to look for, or be able to find teammates on the rush, or the pp. Loved the pk rush I saw, and the puck protection, but there's a lot of work with this prospect ahead.

DaLan O' Cozens?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
In 2013 I really wanted Sean Monahan. How does Cozens compare to Monahan besides being a tall C? I also see Cozens getting to about 200 lbs like Monahan, and his G/A/Pts are similar but a little behind Monahan's pace in juniors.

Similar game, similar potential?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Mike Harrington loves the pick. He's a professional journalist, 'nuff said.
Column: Dylan Cozens was right choice at the perfect time for Sabres

VANCOUVER — There is the need and there is the best player available. When they intersect in the Top 10 of the NHL draft, you've done your job.
The Buffalo Sabres had to feel super Friday night in Rogers Arena. They need centers in their organization in the worst way. There was a buffet of pivotmen to ponder with the No. 7 pick. Especially once Detroit threw the first round's biggest curve by taking German defenseman Moritz Seider at No. 6, far above where anyone predicted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Botterill said to stay tuned. Maybe things will happen today. Maybe next week at the start of free agency. Maybe sometime in the summer. Seeds are planted here, but not much happened Friday on the trade front. As for getting another core guy at No. 7, it appears Botterill found some success.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I think he's a better skating better shooting Kyle turris tbh, which isn't a bad projection. Could nail down a 2nd line role by 2021

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
In 2013 I really wanted Sean Monahan. How does Cozens compare to Monahan besides being a tall C? I also see Cozens getting to about 200 lbs like Monahan, and his G/A/Pts are similar but a little behind Monahan's pace in juniors.

He's a better skater then Monahan already I think

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Monahan was a far more developed and polished center in his draft year. He came in to the draft with top notch hockey IQ as the backbone of all his other skills. That;s kind of the opposite of Cozens.... the backbone of Cozens game is his skating/athleticism/size as the driver of his release/shot.

If Cozens finds another layer during his development, he could develop in to a Monahan-esque player, but it would be inaccurate to compare them as prospects.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Because traditional scouts are dumb.

What are non traditional scouts? Next Gen scouting who uses a lot of analytics had him ranked #4. Manny who is all analytics had him ranked #4. So it looks like traditional and non traditional scouts had him ranked higher then where we got him.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
What are non traditional scouts? Next Gen scouting who uses a lot of analytics had him ranked #4. Manny who is all analytics had him ranked #4. So it looks like traditional and non traditional scouts had him ranked higher then where we got him.

"Traditional scouts are dumb!" I explain, while also believing the reports from "traditional scouts" that Cozens isn't skilled or smart enough to produce despite his actual production demonstrating otherwise.

Reactions: thomas vanek

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Also, it's absolutely fair to say that the Sabres organization is hopeless and has no apparent data-driven strategy for identifying talented, effective hockey players. But, fam, I have some good news: they accidentally got this pick right.

Reactions: Chainshot

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Dylan Cozens seems like a very good kid. He was very happy after the draft and really enjoyed he is a Sabre, it was nice to see. Altough Zegras is a better hockey player and Ducks are very very very happy now, logically, because they found no.1 productive centerman for a long time...
On the other side Dylan Cozens could be better linemate for Jack. I see more winger in him, I also must agree with his comparisions to Kreider or Monahan and I think this kind of winger is exactly what Eichel needs. Cozens can skate, score, is responsible defensively and which is important for Jack - is very good in front the net guy or is just waiting in goalscoring areas and is prepare for deadly quick shots. Let play Jack with puck on his stick and Cozens could be great finisher his actions, speedy power-forward who can substitute Jack on face-offs :nod: especially in D-zone.

I am pesimistic in question, will Cozens able to carry on his own line? I think not. Because of his lack of hockey IQ and playmaking abilities. But when I imagine him as a future potential Jack´s RW, this pick can be a win at the end of the day.

If future 90pts player Zegras wasn´t on the board :rolleyes: ... I would be OK with this pick.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's not like he's responsible for developing the talent. A lot happens after their name is called.
He's not responsible for where guys are ranked, either. He just polls currently employed NHL scouts - 10 this season. It's an aggregate list based on that.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Expecting the world of any prospect is too often a pitfall of fans here. I do think Cozens is a sound pick compared to Mitts when he was drafted, but let him get to camp at least.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just curious- is a better skating Stafford a decent comparison? Assumes a lot of course, just kinda trying to get a feel for what he might end up being. Obviously it all depends on development, but I'm wondering if that's kinda the middle-of-the-road result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad