Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hlinka highlights:

Edgework around 2:09 reminds me of LaFontaine. The low stance and barreling into the slot....

His tape reminds me of Grigorenko's. NOT in style of play, but in "there's a few things I liked, and there's a lot to clean up" Doesn't seem to look for, or be able to find teammates on the rush, or the pp. Loved the pk rush I saw, and the puck protection, but there's a lot of work with this prospect ahead.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Getzlaf would not be a good comparison

Draisaitl would be a good ceiling to look for, although I don’t think he’s on that level as a prospect.

Jeff Carter remains the best comparison

I think Draisaitl is a bad comparison, because Leon is actually a real good playmaker. I haven't seen much to indicate that Cozens is that.

Best case for me is a guy who doesn't handle the puck much, wins board battles, and gets it to Mitts/Jack, who then set him up for good shots. His speed and size might also be good on the pk, though you don't pick at 7 thinking "his skillset shows promise for the pk!"

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I realize not everyone can watch prospects play full game, and that you can get a sense of a guy from a highlight video but it shows so little of their true consistent playing ability.

You watch the hlinka highlight video I think he looks great. You watch the wch u18 games (which are on YouTube) he doesn't look so hot.

Anyone can make highlight reel plays. Doesn't mean they're a great player

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Could "a better version of Stafford" be a ceiling?

It's been so long I feel like I barely remember him play.

I still stand by my less physical risto comparison. Effort is there, raw talent is there, and so is the inability to make a quick decision

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
on some of those highlights he reminds me of Modano flying through the neutral zone. Just from a size plus speed comparison.

I do like how he shields the puck and draws defenders, then dishes it to the D at the point. Sometimes only the smaller framed prospects know how to do that because they have to or else they won't survive. But with his size, speed and keeping his center of gravity low, like Chain said that will be difficult for NHL D to pry the puck away.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
His frame, skill, finish, vision, poise, FO prowess, own zone abilities... personally, I see a LOT of Jonathan Toews in his game. I think Toews is the much more intuitive player, but Cozens is a better skater than Toews was coming out.

If we take our time with him and really push him to become more cerebral and constantly switched on, I think we're going to have a very similar player.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I like the Jeff Carter comparison the most. He'll just need to fill out and shore up on his defense, but he's already tall, shoots like crazy and at his best when playing a fast north-south game.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought this was a very smart pick by your team. When I tried considering what teams should do pre any picks being made to what actually happened, there were two good picks in that top 10, one of them being this pick. The hate this guy gets doesn’t make much sense. Put this guy behind Eichel to replace ROR, and I think he’ll excel.

When people claim he’s a terrible playmaker, I tell them to look at his assist numbers. Players with bad playmaking don’t have 50 assists in their pre-draft season.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I like this quote from his dad... it’s spot on for Cozens future too

if you've got talent, gifted or worked towards, you have a responsibility to use that wisely and not to be selfish with it.

I’m looking forward to seeing Cozens work towards additional levels of talent... he’s got work to do.

Reactions: Dingo44

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I thought this was a very smart pick by your team. When I tried considering what teams should do pre any picks being made to what actually happened, there were two good picks in that top 10, one of them being this pick. The hate this guy gets doesn’t make much sense. Put this guy behind Eichel to replace ROR, and I think he’ll excel.

When people claim he’s a terrible playmaker, I tell them to look at his assist numbers. Players with bad playmaking don’t have 50 assists in their pre-draft season.

Ryan Strome had 72 assists in his predraft season...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
McKenzie's consensus list had Cozens ranked 6th. Looked back at previous years McKenzie lists ........ WOOF! Lots of terrible calls.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Let him Develop holy ****. Let’s see where he is at next year. Bet everyone hating is singing a different tune..
Let him develop before commenting on him as a prospect? Doesnt make a lot of sense to come into a prospect thread and expect people not to talk about what they've seen so far or whether or not they like the pick today.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kreider drives me ****ing crazy sometimes with his decision making, but then he’ll bulldoze his way to the net and score an unbelievable goal.

If Kreider is his ceiling then I can’t be mad.

I don’t think ceiling, just comparable in big, fast shooter who had some questions coming in. He could put all those tools together and be far better. Kreider to me is more floor.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Still hate the pick today. I like the thought behind the pick just not the player. That said I like the Carter comparisons. Definitely see a lot of Jeff in him. I’d like to see him pull a Rhino and focus on bulking up in the W this year and work in his two-way game rather than worrying about points. He’s got a lot of work ahead of him hopefully he’s a hard worker. Being from Yukon he probably hasn’t had the easiest road so far so that bodes well.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ryan Strome had 72 assists in his predraft season...

He’s not as bad of a playmaker as some think. I’ve now watched this guy play for my team for almost a full season. His career hasn’t panned out completely as expected, but he’s not a bad 3C, and it doesn’t help that he’s now played for two bad development franchises with the Islanders and Oilers.

I’m not saying that Cozens is a savant playmaker, but for a shoot first top six center, it’s not going to hold him back from being a good NHL player.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sleeping on the pick. Still disappointed in the pick because of having so many guys ahead of him that higher floors AND higher ceilings. He’s not a bad player at all. It’s not as if it was a “wrong” pick, But I don’t think he’s a dynamic player which I believe we need in this organization. He’ll be a top 6 player which, at the end of the day, is what we need.

I’d say he’s at least 2-3 years away before he should be counted on to take a roster spot. He does worry me with his limited hockey sense for creating offense, as I question his ability to make plays when the game’s speed increases at higher levels. He needs some solid coaching which I think Taylor can provide, so that will be important when he’s done in Juniors. DO NOT rush him like we did with Mittelstadt.

I’d give the pick a B-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad