Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Re: the bolded - **** that mindset.... giving up before the season begins... If Krueger is a legitimately good coach and Botts adds to the offense over the next couple of weeks, no reason we can't get in next year. It's not that hard to make the playoffs in the NHL, so rather than mope I will choose to hope that this is the year the organization finally turns a corner. I can't say whether I think they will make it in or not until the fall, but to already say we aren't getting in is a losers mentality.
I'm not buying into any of it this year and Krugers been away from coaching and hockey for 8 years.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
No not 150%. If he comes into camp and is one of the best 23 players there then he should be on the team. I don’t care if you’re 18 or 38. Take the best 23 players out of camp. If he seems overwhelmed come regular season the option for him to go to Lethbridge is always there.

I mentioned it in another thread. I’d like to see him get the 9 game

No not 150%. If he comes into camp and is one of the best 23 players there then he should be on the team. I don’t care if you’re 18 or 38. Take the best 23 players out of camp. If he seems overwhelmed come regular season the option for him to go to Lethbridge is always there.

I mentioned it in another thread. I’d like to see him get the 9 game try out. Send him down around WJC time and then finish the year in the W.

Selecting purely off a camp is silly.

I know hard work should be rewarded and guys shouldn't ride past success as a free ride to a roster spot. But its also not the best move to give guys a roster spot based on a a really small sample size of effort.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Being better than ****ty NHLers is not a good reason to put a teenager’s development at risk.... Cozen’s NHL readiness is unrelated to the NHL roster
I definitely agree his NHL readiness shouldn’t be determined by whether or not he is better than shitty players.

But if he shows up to camp and looks like he can handle it. Give him the 9 games. Re-evaluate. There is no definitive right or wrong way. That’s why I repsonded in the first place. Gabrielor said 150% he has to start in the W. No he doesn’t. As of now I think he should spend the majority of the season with Lethbridge. But lots can change.

Unfortunately for us we have to trust the management and coaching group to determine where he should play. And so far(minus the new guy(s)) they haven’t shown that they are capable of making the right call.

Draisatl is someone who it looked like had his development ruined by playing in the league to early. But they sent him home at the 40 game mark. He came down to kelowna and dominated after experiencing NHL speed and fast forward to this season he scored 50 goals.

None of us know what the correct path is for him. None us can say he 150% needs to play in x or y. All we know is we have a talented young player who has an NHL frame and compete level and should be given the chance to prove he can play.

Reactions: Eichel9

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I definitely agree his NHL readiness shouldn’t be determined by whether or not he is better than ****ty players.

But if he shows up to camp and looks like he can handle it. Give him the 9 games. Re-evaluate. There is no definitive right or wrong way. That’s why I repsonded in the first place. Gabrielor said 150% he has to start in the W. No he doesn’t. As of now I think he should spend the majority of the season with Lethbridge. But lots can change.

Unfortunately for us we have to trust the management and coaching group to determine where he should play. And so far(minus the new guy(s)) they haven’t shown that they are capable of making the right call.

Draisatl is someone who it looked like had his development ruined by playing in the league to early. But they sent him home at the 40 game mark. He came down to kelowna and dominated after experiencing NHL speed and fast forward to this season he scored 50 goals.

None of us know what the correct path is for him. None us can say he 150% needs to play in x or y. All we know is we have a talented young player who has an NHL frame and compete level and should be given the chance to prove he can play.

There’s a long list of players whose development and/or careers were potentially jeopardized by starting in the league too soon.

The list of players whose careers were jeopardized by remaining in juniors as teenagers... is non existent

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
There’s a long list of players whose development and/or careers were potentially jeopardized by starting in the league too soon.

The list of players whose careers were jeopardized by remaining in juniors as teenagers... is non existent
Absolutely.

Still doesn’t mean that a bunch of keyboard warriors know EXACTLY how to handle this or any other situation.

Reactions: Ehran and Eichel9

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo

I hope they slow cook him but this really doesn’t make any sense. There could be countless players who were kept down and didn’t pan out who MAY have had better careers if they were brought up sooner. Just as players who were brought up soon MAY have been better off being slow cooked. The list doesn’t exist because you don’t remember the guys who don’t pan out in the minors.

Reactions: sabresEH

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Was it mentioned anywhere on our boards that Chayka reportedly offered much more than a 2nd round pick to swap picks with Buffalo? Poor Dylan better start off better than Newhook and Krebs or we will never hear the end of it.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Was it mentioned anywhere on our boards that Chayka reportedly offered much more than a 2nd round pick to swap picks with Buffalo? Poor Dylan better start off better than Newhook and Krebs or we will never hear the end of it.
Where did you hear this Moskau?

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

poster on his or her death bed:
*cough* *gasp* should of...*gasp* should of drafted...*cough* *gasp* Zegras *dies*

Edit, for whoever needs it: this is a joke, I'm a big fan of Cozens, as evidenced by my previous posts. The joke, of course, being the conviction of the anti-Cozens posters is so strong that it stays with them forever. And, so, that's...what makes this joke funny, allegedly - anyway.... well, see ya later.

Also, the other joke is "should of," which is not proper grammar. So, it's funny because it appears to espouse an *yanked away by a comically oversized shepherd's hook*

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Where did you hear this Moskau?
He did an interview with an Arizona radio station. They had Soderstrom at #3 and started trying to trade up beginning at #7 and offered much more than the 2nd they gave the Flyers. I can't listen to the interview myself but that's how he was quoted on their forums.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
He did an interview with an Arizona radio station. They had Soderstrom at #3 and started trying to trade up beginning at #7 and offered much more than the 2nd they gave the Flyers. I can't listen to the interview myself but that's how he was quoted on their forums.
Interesting, thanks... I guess it depends on how much more they were willing to give up to really know if it would have been worth it. Also, at that point we would have no way of knowing whether Krebs or Newhook would even still be there if we did decide to trade back. Hopefully more comes out about it.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo

So I guess you didn't want Dahlin to be on the Sabres last year? Or is your pre-requisite only the top two picks?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Much more? Probably Hossa. :p

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
So many prospects go through juniors and never make the NHL. I'm not sure how one can even quantify such a position, let alone make such a statement.

Reactions: billsandsabres

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So I guess you didn't want Dahlin to be on the Sabres last year? Or is your pre-requisite only the top two picks?
I don't know that I agree no player ever got hurt staying in the minors as it's impossible to validate, but Jame's post does not imply not promoting a player who is clearly ready, which Dahlin obviously was. There is no chance Cozens will be that level of readiness come fall.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't know that I agree no player ever got hurt staying in the minors as it's impossible to validate, but Jame's post does not imply not promoting a player who is clearly ready, which Dahlin obviously was. There is no chance Cozens will be that level of readiness come fall.

A lot of pre-draft talk around Cozens is that he was closer to the NHL than a lot of guys at the top of the draft because of his physical maturity and his two-way game.

The reports were that he could step in next year and play a 3rd line role.

I think that if Botterill can add a 2C this off season, that increases the likelihood that Cozens gets sent back to Lethbridge.

And I would prefer that course of action.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Every prospect is different. Jame and others possibly feel in order to unlock his best potential he should be working on his deficiencies in junior.

I like the path of start in the NHL, go to the WJC, then off to Lethbridge to end the year. Hopefully he can come up and play AHL at the end of Lethbridge’s season.

Either way, don’t just hand him a spot by being better than the current shitty roster. Improve the middle six and depth this off season and if Cozens proves he’s one of the best 23 players in camp. Let him try out for the 9 games and see if he’s still one of the best 23 players once the guys actually start to try. If not, Lethbridge will gladly take him back and give him all situations minutes.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
To be clear, when I say there's no way Cozens will be that level of readiness I'm referring to Dahlin/Eichel. It's possible he will be ready enough as to make it a debate but all signs point to him going back to juniors.

Reactions: Zman5778

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Since 2013, exactly 2 guys were ready for the NHL the season after we drafted them. Jack Eichel was ready on extreme talent and physical gifts. Rasmus Dahlin was ready on extreme extreme talent, and enough size.

Even Reinhart wasn’t ready until 2015-2016.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Even Reinhart wasn’t ready until 2015-2016.
True, but you can't logically arrive at a conclusion that he would have developed better in Juniors just because he didn't develop at a rate you expected him to in the NHL. For all we know, playing against men in the NHL helped his development.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
A lot of pre-draft talk around Cozens is that he was closer to the NHL than a lot of guys at the top of the draft because of his physical maturity and his two-way game.

The reports were that he could step in next year and play a 3rd line role.

I think that if Botterill can add a 2C this off season, that increases the likelihood that Cozens gets sent back to Lethbridge.

And I would prefer that course of action.

Let's assume that Botts is able to get a 2C in the off season AND that Cozens has a terrific camp and exhibition season. Would it make a difference in the decision to keep him if he would be playing wing instead of center to start off?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
True, but you can't logically arrive at a conclusion that he would have developed better in Juniors just because he didn't develop at a rate you expected him to in the NHL. For all we know, playing against men in the NHL helped his development.

You can’t logically arrive at the reverse conclusion.

This is all probability, and you’re arguing for the position that should be significantly less likely...because....it’s fun to be contrarian I guess?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Let's assume that Botts is able to get a 2C in the off season AND that Cozens has a terrific camp and exhibition season. Would it make a difference in the decision to keep him if he would be playing wing instead of center to start off?

If Cozens shows up and he is one of the three best wingers on the team, then I think he's earned a spot.

I would be pleasantly surprised if he looked that good.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Cozens has NHL level speed and a heavy shot, but the rest of his game isn’t ready for anything other than a 3rd/4th line role with no PP time.

If he does well in training camp and earns a few games to start the season, that’s great. But his development for next season is best suited with another year in the WHL playing center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad