Value of: Dubois

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Never got the hype in Winnipeg. Showed up every 5 or 6 games then disappeared. Seems like he’s doing the same just with less talented players. He gets paid regardless. Prob a good example of why nhl shouldn’t have guaranteed contracts. He got paid. That’s all he cared about and the lifestyle.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I figure he’d rather bet on Dubois’ potential return to form, over the corpse of what was Brendan Gallagher. I’ve loved Gallagher since he made the NHL but it’s painful to watch at this point, and his stats are similar to PLDs!

Currently:

Dubois - 44 GP, 9 Goals, 10 assists, 19 points,
-13, averages 15:53 of ice time a game.

Gallagher - 46 GP, 8 goals, 8 assists, 16 points, -21, averages 14:14 of ice time a game.

Dubois is set to be making 8.5 million for 7 more years on his contract.

While Gallagher is making 6.5 million for 3 more years on his current deal.

The more you look at it, the more you’d have to think that Hughes would require some significant pieces added from LA to make a PLD deal. Could be a real home run or a complete whiff, guess it depends on whether he wants to gamble on expediting the rebuild or stay the course.
Character though in dressing room. On young team you want good leadership. Gallagher has CH tattoo over his heart. Dubois more skill but lacks heart.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
bread has solid nmc but say for sake of discussion he waives b'c LA is a good fit and he KNOWS when this contract is up, ny will put its cap $$ elsewhere.

Panarin is producing. He's another 4-ish m in $$$, but that # is off the books much sooner.

For that reason, huge Kings add required.
If bread retained, then even more required.

Only pieces of interest substantial enuf is Byfield + Clarke, who are elcs

bread retained 3.1x down to 8 per
for
PLD + Byfield + Clarke

somethin like dat

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Torts was so right about that kid.

If I was LA, I'd give it a year. If he doesn't rebound, just buy him out and get rid of him. You can't have a lazy floater like that infesting a dressing room full of kids.
I agree. LA should give him the year and if he doesn’t rebound, buy him out.

He’s under 26 so the buyout penalty won’t be as bad. With a NMC kicking in next year too, it’s then or never

I wouldn’t blame them at all for cutting their costs.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
bread has solid nmc but say for sake of discussion he waives b'c LA is a good fit and he KNOWS when this contract is up, ny will put its cap $$ elsewhere.

Panarin is producing. He's another 4-ish m in $$$, but that # is off the books much sooner.

for
PLD + Byfield + Clarke

somethin like dat
Erase before anybody else sees this.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

for
PLD + Byfield + Clarke

somethin like dat

You had me until you added Byfield and Clarke to the equation. lol

Reactions: go4hockey

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Find me a bigger quitter in the league and I'll show you a corpse
Got his money...............time to enjoy the sun eh.....

Talent, but no drive other than the odd game
Crazy contract they gave him, and his first year, which you would think be great, he is producing at a 35 pt clip.......
Brutal....

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I think ppl are looking at a playoff series from 4 5 years ago now and going that’s the Dubois we want and for the last 4 or 5 years now that guy hasn’t shown up.

He’s overrated. Montreal fans really overrated him because the French factor. Dude quit on Columbus. Dude quit on Winnipeg after game 1 vs Vegas in the playoffs last year. When the going gets tough, Dubois gives up.

You guys got your panties in a bunch when most of Montreal fans would offer something like Dvorak and a 2nd rounder for Dubois (which, in retrospective, would'Ve been a far more appropriate price to pay), but hey, whatever floats your boat.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
His season is looking CGY-Huberdeau level disappointing. You can't even discuss a trade with how it's looking right now. Finish the year, and see what next season looks like. If he starts strong enough, then maybe you can convince a trade partner that this was just a down year.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
You guys got your panties in a bunch when most of Montreal fans would offer something like Dvorak and a 2nd rounder for Dubois (which, in retrospective, would'Ve been a far more appropriate price to pay), but hey, whatever floats your boat.
True.

Jets paid Laine + Roslovic for him which seemed a bit rich. Then LA paid a fair sum to get him from Wpg so it did seem like he had a lot of value around the league.

He's on team #3 already, same issues, and you can be assured that if he's traded again, he's not getting that kind of value in a trade a third time.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Frankly, when the NMC kicks in is irrelevant given that he's already basically forced his way off of two teams. No team is going to want to acquire him unless he wants to be there.
Didn't he want to be in LA? What's his excuse now?

No one is going to touch PLD - he's as toxic as toxic gets. At least Huberdeau was trying even if it wasn't translating into production. If I'm a GM, there is zero chance I'm taking that boat anchor of contract on.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
True.

Jets paid Laine + Roslovic for him which seemed a bit rich. Then LA paid a fair sum to get him from Wpg so it did seem like he had a lot of value around the league.

He's on team #3 already, same issues, and you can be assured that if he's traded again, he's not getting that kind of value in a trade a third time.
If anything, the only thing we can be certain about, is that the Canadiens front office, and a significant amount of the fanbase, were possibly the only party that were right at any point about Dubois' value.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Bold prediction: I think he bounces back next year and puts up 70ish and settles into a 65-75 point guy in his peak years.
The trade and the contract look absolutely horrible right now. As a Jets fan, and also admittedly being kind of petty, I'm here for it. Winnipeg isn't looking so bad now is it Pierre? However...I also feel bad for the LA fans. He's not as bad as he is right now though. It Took him a while to get going with the Jets. His confidence looks shot right now, and he has no one to blame but himself. Turns out what you want isn't always what you need.
I think some maturing and focusing on his game, rather than throwing a pity party on the beach with celebs is what he needs.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Didn't he want to be in LA? What's his excuse now?

No one is going to touch PLD - he's as toxic as toxic gets. At least Huberdeau was trying even if it wasn't translating into production. If I'm a GM, there is zero chance I'm taking that boat anchor of contract on.

He reportedly gave Winnipeg a short list. LA was one of few places he was willing to go to, Montreal was another and there were others.

I'm just not sure as much as changed as people seem to think. Dubois is actually producing at a (slightly) higher rate 5v5 than he ever has in Winnipeg with generally worse linemates and he's still doing things to drive offense. I'm not sure he was ever good defensively, but he was bad there in Winnipeg and him running hot and cold and taking shifts off are also not a new story. The difference now is that he's not getting prime PP time. A lot of forwards that people think are amazing aren't going to look good if they're not playing PP1 with complementary players.

He's still a youngish big C though. Teams would still be interested. But what LA would get back in a trade would be far less appealing than what they gave up, which makes it hard to imagine they would move him now.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
for that much long term it is
Nobody asked for a retrained Panarin, though. You squeezed him in to then take 2 players they think highly for the future. Is Panarin for 2 more years worth a decade of both just to get out of PLD's contract? Ask yourself if you would do that?
When trading with another team, they're also looking for the trade to benefit them. Not all trades are you must hands down win the trade for your side. Buying out PLD at the end of the season is pretty much the Goodrow contract, with a bunch of 1 million/year tacked on. Would you give up Byfield and Clark to do that? Do you think 2 years of Panarin is worth it for them?

They have 7 players with 500 games or more. They can't just get rid of their young core.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guitpik

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I can't believe LA management was THAT dumb. Whoever filled Blakes ears with bad information (pro scouts) should be immediately fired. They single-handedly took the Kings from a very decent situation with a mix of fresh talent on low salaries ready to take the place of their home-grown seasoned vets, in a nice transition and upward trajectory...all to add this known bum/floater for SIXTY EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS over EIGHT YEARS.

This should've been a crystal clear sign:
1706110422012.png

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad