Value of: Drouin for Dman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
From a Nashville Standpoint I'd offer something around Ellis. Realistically we should try to trade off a Dman before the draft so that we can better protect our forwards. Ellis has the least amount of time left on contract (2 more years @ 2.5 mil), but since he still has time left and it is a pretty sweet contract for what he brings (excellent 2nd pairing//good to passable first pairing). Would give TBL some extra time to get their cap under control while not losing alot of their core. Bad thing would be TBL would have to extend Ellis, Stralman, Kucherov, and possibly Coburn in the same offseason if noone is traded. Would be willing to add something to lessen the age gap between Drouin and Ellis (4 years) as needed.

Edit: We also have Ekholm who we'd have to add more to and Josi (though i don't think we'd trade but i thought the same on Weber)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
From a Nashville Standpoint I'd offer something around Ellis. Realistically we should try to trade off a Dman before the draft so that we can better protect our forwards. Ellis has the least amount of time left on contract (2 more years @ 2.5 mil), but since he still has time left and it is a pretty sweet contract for what he brings (excellent 2nd pairing//good to passable first pairing). Would give TBL some extra time to get their cap under control while not losing alot of their core. Bad thing would be TBL would have to extend Ellis, Stralman, Kucherov, and possibly Coburn in the same offseason if noone is traded. Would be willing to add something to lessen the age gap between Drouin and Ellis (4 years) as needed.

Edit: We also have Ekholm who we'd have to add more to and Josi (though i don't think we'd trade but i thought the same on Weber)

I don't think Drouin is a piece that can be the main one for Josi, so I am pretty sure he's off the table. Ellis is interesting, though.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Would Stretcher, Juolevi or Tanev be even close to a starting point?

Tanev maybe, but I don't think that's the type of player we are targeting more frankly. We probably one a guy who can do well on the transition.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I don't think Drouin is a piece that can be the main one for Josi, so I am pretty sure he's off the table. Ellis is interesting, though.

I'd add almost anything asset wise to Drouin to work for a Josi deal, but I agree that's incredibly unlikely.

Would definitely be interested in Ellis. WC team too which would be nice.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I'd add almost anything asset wise to Drouin to work for a Josi deal, but I agree that's incredibly unlikely.

Would definitely be interested in Ellis. WC team too which would be nice.

Ellis also fits the profile for this type of trade when they happen. Arguably a less talented piece (but good), and the F for D trades that have happened lately have been along those lines (Jones for RyJo, Hall for Larsson). I think Drouin is on pace to be a better W than Ellis is a D (relative to the league), but that's just the type of deal you make to get better on the backend.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Any interest in Severson?

Not a guarantee the Devils trade him, but depending on how their off-season goes he may be available.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Ellis also fits the profile for this type of trade when they happen. Arguably a less talented piece (but good), and the F for D trades that have happened lately have been along those lines (Jones for RyJo, Hall for Larsson). I think Drouin is on pace to be a better W than Ellis is a D (relative to the league), but that's just the type of deal you make to get better on the backend.

Agree completely.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would move Severson for Drouin, a cap dump (Callahan) and a 2018 mid round pick.

Tampa gets their RH dman, on a cost controlled contract, while shedding some big time cap space in order to resign key RFA's like Johnson and Palat.

We gain a dynamic young player in Drouin, a pick and a RW'er that can play on our 2nd/3rd line.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think Drouin is being overvalued and tightness of the defense market is being underestimated.

You need to start at Hall for Larsson and work from there. That's going to be the reality of trades when you're looking for young top 4 dmen nowadays IMO. Drouin is a step below where Hall was when he was traded last year (despite Hall having fallen since) and fetched a #2 defensive dman. I think Drouin fetches a younger #4, or a slightly older #3 at best, straight up.

Just my opinion, it would be interesting to see a market change and what that would mean though.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I think Drouin is being overvalued and tightness of the defense market is being underestimated.

You need to start at Hall for Larsson and work from there. That's going to be the reality of trades when you're looking for young top 4 dmen nowadays IMO. Drouin is a step below where Hall was when he was traded last year (despite Hall having fallen since) and fetched a #2 defensive dman. I think Drouin fetches a younger #4, or a slightly older #3 at best, straight up.

Just my opinion, it would be interesting to see a market change and what that would mean though.

Considering the names being discussed as most likely (Ellis, Dumba, Hanifin, Trouba) - I feel like everyone gets that. But... thanks for the contribution.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Canes need a proven Centre, not a player that is still a prospect.

AVs offer Barrie + 2nd for 2017 = Drouin

Canes need a top liner that can score, preferably a center. Drouin could definitely be in the mix.

We don't need Koekkoek coming back and don't want to give up Gauthier. I think one for one would work, but would be willing to do a small add (pick).

I would not add to Hanifin for Drouin.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Is Drouin's value significantly below Hall's? Because most of the players mentioned here are less valuable than Larsson. (Eg. Ellis, Dumba, Tanev)

I think Drouin is getting seriously underrated here. Tbh in a vacuum he's worth Karlsson. Won't happen, same way Hall couldn't fetch a Subban level player, but some of these offers are insanely low.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Is Drouin's value significantly below Hall's? Because most of the players mentioned here are less valuable than Larsson. (Eg. Ellis, Dumba, Tanev)

I think Drouin is getting seriously underrated here. Tbh in a vacuum he's worth Karlsson. Won't happen, same way Hall couldn't fetch a Subban level player, but some of these offers are insanely low.

The answer is easily, YES.

Hall was coming off a 65 point season and also had/has a 80 point season under his belt. His worst season in 7 years is 38 points....Drouin beat that mark 1 time. He also has 2 seasons of more than a PPG.

You are drunk if you think he is worth Karlsson.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The answer is easily, YES.

Hall was coming off a 65 point season and also had/has a 80 point season under his belt. His worst season in 7 years is 38 points....Drouin beat that mark 1 time. He also has 2 seasons of more than a PPG.

You are drunk if you think he is worth Karlsson.

Drouin was nearly ppg since the start of December this year, and he is a living highlight reel. He's got elite stickhandling, awesome vision and IQ, a deadly shot and insane agility.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Drouin was nearly ppg since the start of December this year, and he is a living highlight reel. He's got elite stickhandling, awesome vision and IQ, a deadly shot and insane agility.

Saying he's worth Karlsson is foolish.

Yzerman was ready to part with him for Shattenkirk. There's your value.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
What is the scouting report on Hanifin? Never really watched any Canes games...does he project as a #1 or #2?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Using the Hall/Larsson trade as a basis for anything is asinine. Like most trades, context matters, especially so in that instance. I've been a big Drouin fan, even while all of those shenanigans were going on, but there is no way he carries equal value to Hall, not yet at least. And when you start throwing Karlsson out there as a value comp, that's a wrap.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Drouin is of course not worth Karlsson, but to say Drouin is worth less than Hall because he's only eclipsed a certain point total is ridiculous. Before he was traded, Taylor Hall had played 381 games. Before this season, Drouin had played 91.

When Drouin has been in the league 6 seasons (the time Hall spent in EDM), then we can revisit him only passing 38 points once.

If you want to make the argument for something else, cool. Don't use point totals in a single season as a comparison for two players when one has played almost 300 more games and 3 more seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad