Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Do you have any defenceman in the top 10? If not, that's just a sign of a bad scout IMO.

A lot of people have Chychrun falling back a bit. Other Dmen are climbing the list. A lot have Juolevi and Sergachev ahead. Other than those three main Dmen though, this is an extremely forward-heavy draft at the top of it. I don't know a lot about them but when I hear Chychurn's downsides and upsides I worry he may be like Barker

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
A lot of people have Chychrun falling back a bit. Other Dmen are climbing the list. A lot have Juolevi and Sergachev ahead. Other than those three main Dmen though, this is an extremely forward-heavy draft at the top of it. I don't know a lot about them but when I hear Chychurn's downsides and upsides I worry he may be like Barker

Most drafts are forward heavy. It's not easy to project dmen but in a couple years these lists will look considerably different with a lot of dmen near the top of them. I mean, look back at OEL in his draft year. He was from a lesser league and people didn't know how he would project. The same could be said for Karlsson, Keith, and a bunch of other defenceman.

One of the reasons I like Chychrun is that his points are directly related to his own playmaking ability. He doesn't have a lot of easy points playing with high quality players. His 49 points in 62 games is pretty decent considering the only real producer on his team is Pavel Zacha with 64 points (Konecny wasn't there most of the season). Juolevis 42 points isn't that impressive given that he had 5 forwards in his team with more points then Zacha. Hell, 3 of them had 100+ point totals.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Disagree dosent turn or move well latterly. Straight line he's fine.

Meh, agree to disagree then. I don't buy the whole low hockey IQ thing and like his skating. Sure he can work on his edges but he's still young. He has speed to burn and could be special with a few adjustments. Also, I don't get why his stock is dropping he has 41 points in his last 44 games in the OHL. That's pretty good for a defence first dman.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Most drafts are forward heavy. It's not easy to project dmen but in a couple years these lists will look considerably different with a lot of dmen near the top of them. I mean, look back at OEL in his draft year. He was from a lesser league and people didn't know how he would project. The same could be said for Karlsson, Keith, and a bunch of other defenceman.

One of the reasons I like Chychrun is that his points are directly related to his own playmaking ability. He doesn't have a lot of easy points playing with high quality players. His 49 points in 62 games is pretty decent considering the only real producer on his team is Pavel Zacha with 64 points (Konecny wasn't there most of the season). Juolevis 42 points isn't that impressive given that he had 5 forwards in his team with more points then Zacha. Hell, 3 of them had 100+ point totals.

One scout said he likes Juolevi but then wondered what Chychrun would look like playing for London with Marner & Tkachuk.

Also will note Chychrun had the most shots by draft eligible D by quite a stretch, he even had more than Tkachuk and Nylander. Suffered from 5.5% shooting percentage. Wonder what his PDO is this year.

oilz89*

Chychrun is probably the best skating dman in the draft...

... so in other words you wouldn't take the player with the more hockey smarts and skill? Just because Chychrun is a better skater doesn't make him better in hockey IQ. You know else had bad hockey IQ? Cam Barker

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
... so in other words you wouldn't take the player with the more hockey smarts and skill? Just because Chychrun is a better skater doesn't make him better in hockey IQ. You know else had bad hockey IQ? Cam Barker

Oh please. Comparing Chychrun to Barker is such a straw-man argument. I guess I should compare Juolevi to Schultz or something? By this logic you should just draft the smartest player in the draft. Everyone knows this is an oversimplification and successful hockey players require balance. I mean this whole rumour that Chychrun has low IQ is such bullcrap. I hate when people make stuff up. Some of these Canadian kids are under the microscope for years and any little issue and all of of sudden they are written off. Even now we nitpick of Chychruns game but aren't doing the same for Juolevi.

Also, he said Chychrun was lacking in the skating department, to which I said he's one of the best skaters in the draft. His flaws are being blown way out of proportions. Nowhere did I say I value hockey smarts over skating. I like balanced dmen and Chychrun projects to be the best all around dman in this draft.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Even with Chychrun falling, anyone picking Juolevi over him should be fired immediately.

I can maybe see a case for Sergachev.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Even with Chychrun falling, anyone picking Juolevi over him should be fired immediately.

What makes you think that? I personally think Juolevi has potential to be a Hampus Lindholm type defenseman. Great hockey IQ and spends little time in his own end.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

I disagree. Juolevi was great at the WJC for Finland, maybe their best D, wheras Chychrun didn't make team Canada. Juolevi (Sergachev too) was very good at the top prospects game, Chychrun was less impressive. Juolevi has been pretty good in London's playoff run. Chychrun was very hit and miss at the U18.

When playing agains better competition Juolevi has elevated his game. Chychrun not so much. That doesn't mean Chychrun won't develop but it's definitely a consideration that could push Juolevi ahead in some people's books. Not everybody can think or play the game at the highest level. Their junior game doesn't translate.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What makes you think that? I personally think Juolevi has potential to be a Hampus Lindholm type defenseman. Great hockey IQ and spends little time in his own end.

I think Juolevi's production should be a major red flag.

He plays 30 minutes a night on the highest scoring team in the CHL and has managed 19 even strength assists in 71 games so far this year.

To me, he doesn't show enough defensive potential to overcome his complete lack of potential offense.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think Juolevi's production should be a major red flag.

He plays 30 minutes a night on the highest scoring team in the CHL and has managed 19 even strength assists in 71 games so far this year.

To me, he doesn't show enough defensive potential to overcome his complete lack of potential offense.

These are my thoughts as well. That's not to say he's not a good prospects, I'm just saying that these are all still kids that are from from complete. Dmen are hard to project but have the highest payoff. They all have warts so let's not dump on them.

ivanthebad*

Jake Bean will end up being the best of the bunch imo. Kid knows how to score. He will end up being a deadly PP guy.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Jake Bean will end up being the best of the bunch imo. Kid knows how to score. He will end up being a deadly PP guy.

I love bean, I see a lot of Brodie in him. I actually have him rated as the second best dman in the draft (not that my opinion really matters, I'm sure there are better scouts out there). He has a wicked shot and does a good job getting into shooting lanes. I think he will be a top 10 pick this year and could even sneak his way higher.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Among the dmen I have it like this...

Sergachyov>Chychrun>Bean>>Juolevi

Close to a coin flip for me personally between Sergachyov and Chychrun.

Bean might just be the best offensive dmen in this draft... but I prefer the size and all-around games of Sergachyov and Chychrun.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Bean, Fabbro or McAvoy or even some D taken later in the draft turned out to be the best d-man from this draft class. Just a weird year for d-men overall. None of Sergachyov, Chychrun or Juolevi feel like slam dunks. It will be an interesting choice if we draft at #5. Really not sure who you take with that pick, assuming Dubois goes 4th.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Bean, Fabbro or McAvoy or even some D taken later in the draft turned out to be the best d-man from this draft class. Just a weird year for d-men overall. None of Sergachyov, Chychrun or Juolevi feel like slam dunks. It will be an interesting choice if we draft at #5. Really not sure who you take with that pick, assuming Dubois goes 4th.

If we end up at 5 we trade the pick, no question.

I tried to read up about Mcavoy the other night and found very little chatter about him on hf or elsewhere. He's been in the top 15 on a lot of draft sites. Has a right hand shot. What's the word on this kid?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

My bet is if the Oilers are picking 4th or 5th, they're taking Tkachuk.

I think they're going to spend tangible assets to address their defense, but I really don't think their 1st rounder will be spent that way.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I'd trade it no matter where it falls. The last thing this team needs is another 18 yr old wonder kid. I hope we get Mathews just so we have maximum value in a trade for a number one dmen.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Call me crazy but I like Fabbro the most. Excellent skillset.

1. Laine
2. Matthews
3. Puljujärvi
4. Dubois
5. Tkachuk
6. Fabbro
7. Chychrun
8. Nylander
9. Juolevi
10. Keller

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Call me crazy but I like Fabbro the most. Excellent skillset.

1. Laine
2. Matthews
3. Puljujärvi
4. Dubois
5. Tkachuk
6. Fabbro
7. Chychrun
8. Nylander
9. Juolevi
10. Keller

I could get on board with this, I might even consider him over Tkachuk based on team needs.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I disagree. Juolevi was great at the WJC for Finland, maybe their best D, wheras Chychrun didn't make team Canada. Juolevi (Sergachev too) was very good at the top prospects game, Chychrun was less impressive. Juolevi has been pretty good in London's playoff run. Chychrun was very hit and miss at the U18.

When playing agains better competition Juolevi has elevated his game. Chychrun not so much. That doesn't mean Chychrun won't develop but it's definitely a consideration that could push Juolevi ahead in some people's books. Not everybody can think or play the game at the highest level. Their junior game doesn't translate.

Nice narrative. How'd that Canadian WJHC team do by the way? Also, Chychrun was coming off a shoulder injury, he's been almost PPG since December.

And playing against better competition? Who was the player of the game for Canada in their semifinal against Sweden in the U-18s? Oh right, it was Chychrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad