Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
One of Fabbro or Bean will fall to 32. I mean both are rated all over the board, some up around 10, some in 30s. D tend to fall further than forwards too

A good draft would be coming out with Dubios and Fabbro/Bean

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
One of Fabbro or Bean will fall to 32. I mean both are rated all over the board, some up around 10, some in 30s. D tend to fall further than forwards too

A better draft would be one of the top 3 and Fabbro/Bean...

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'd trade it no matter where it falls. The last thing this team needs is another 18 yr old wonder kid. I hope we get Mathews just so we have maximum value in a trade for a number one dmen.

I can understand this line of thinking; however, we need to wait and see how the expansion vote goes in June and, if approved, what are the exact rules for the expansion draft. It would be foolish to trade an expansion draft exempt top-tier prospect from the 2016 draft for a current NHL player that requires protection (thereby exposing another Oilers player). If anything, it may force another GM in a tight roster spot to overpay to acquire our pick.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I can understand this line of thinking; however, we need to wait and see how the expansion vote goes in June and, if approved, what are the exact rules for the expansion draft. It would be foolish to trade an expansion draft exempt top-tier prospect from the 2016 draft for a current NHL player that requires protection (thereby exposing another Oilers player). If anything, it may force another GM in a tight roster spot to overpay to acquire our pick.

Yes I think it increases the value of the pick and that's a good reason to trade it. The expansion draft isnt much of a worry for us. We have a lot of young guys who will be exempt and we can only lose one player max. If we can trade the pick and it forces guys down the depth chart to a point where we can no longer protect them they cant be that big of a loss.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yes I think it increases the value of the pick and that's a good reason to trade it. The expansion draft isnt much of a worry for us. We have a lot of young guys who will be exempt and we can only lose one player max. If we can trade the pick and it forces guys down the depth chart to a point where we can no longer protect them they cant be that big of a loss.

All I am saying is that we need to see the expansion draft rules that the NHL/NHLPA agreed to recently. Depending on how many pro years are allowed to remain exempt young players like Nurse, Davidson, and Reinhart may need to be protected. Depending on how no-movement clauses are handled, we may need to protect Ference :)help:). Basically if we trade the pick, it could be like we trade the 2016 pick + Nurse (lost in the expansion draft) for the player acquired.

Jun 9, 2011
I want to keep the pick (I expect 5th overall). This is a new era, the salary cap era, and having quality young players on ELC's waiting in the wings is crucial. I don't think we pick this high again, and because of the value of prospects, I don't think many teams will trade these picks in the future.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Assuming we draft 4/5 and keep our picks...

5 - Dubois (C/W)
32 - Fabbro (RHD)
62 - Katchouk (LW/RW)
FLA/MIN 3rd - Vehilvilainen (G)
PIT 3rd - Fortier (RW)
122 - Sawchenko (G)
STL 5th - Soy (C)
152 - Quenneville (RHD)
182 - Burke (C)

As you can probably tell, I don't really believe in drafting for size...:laugh:

Draft BPA first, skill 2nd, need 3rd, and size 4th.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

5 - Dubois (C/W)
32 - Fabbro (RHD)
62 - Katchouk (LW/RW)
PIT 3rd - Fortier (RW)
122 - Sawchenko (G)
STL 5th - Soy (C)
152 - Quenneville (RHD)
182 - Burke (C)

Not too bad of a list. I really wanted the Oilers to draft Vehilvilainen last year and just like I thought, he dominated this season. He will probably be drafted in the 4th or 5th.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I don't see it. Some teams have Bean in their top10 and Fabbro's stock just went up exponentially after the U18's, he's going to be taken in the 1st round almost guaranteed. A more realistic option would be something like Clague or Hajek. Johansen, Dineen and Girard are interesting too for our 2nd round pick.

With the 3rds you have Green, Cholowski, Day, Krys, Lajoie, Mete, Lindgren, Moverare, Cederholm, perhaps Niemeläinen and Stanley if they fall, Lucas Carlsson, Filip Hronek and Andrew Peeke. 4th round and beyond you have David Quenneville, Jordan Sambrook, Riley Stillman, Ben Gleason, Stepan Falkovsky, James Greenway, and Adam Fox. I could go on.

Overall there's a lot of good d prospects in this draft. As I've said before, I wouldn't be surprised if the best d-man in this draft comes from outside of the 1st round.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not too bad of a list. I really wanted the Oilers to draft Vehilvilainen last year and just like I thought, he dominated this season. He will probably be drafted in the 4th or 5th.

I was never a fan of Vehviläinen and I'm still not but even I thought it was odd he didn't get drafted last year. Will most likely get drafted this year. I would prefer if it wasn't by the Oilers though.

5 - Dubois (C/W)
32 - Fabbro (RHD)
62 - Katchouk (LW/RW)
PIT 3rd - Fortier (RW)
122 - Sawchenko (G)
STL 5th - Soy (C)
152 - Quenneville (RHD)
182 - Burke (C)

I would be good with that draft but I think it's unrealistic for Fabbro to fall to 32nd at this point. Also prefer Sawchenko over Vehviläinen and would probably use the 3rd for him and the other pick for another goalie like Jack LaFontaine or someone if I had to take another goalie.

Anyway, trying to predict a realistic draft that I'd be happy with:

5 - C/W Pierre-Luc Dubois
32 - LD Kale Clague
62 - RW Jordan Kyrou
FLA/MIN 3rd - G Zach Sawchenko
PIT 3rd - LW/RW Jesper Bratt
122 - LD Lucas Carlsson
STL 5th - C Aapeli Räsänen
152 - RD David Quenneville
182 - LD Yegor Rykov

Would be really happy with something like that, good diversity between the picks and you get a little bit of everything but mostly a ton of skill.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I was never a fan of Vehviläinen and I'm still not but even I thought it was odd he didn't get drafted last year. Will most likely get drafted this year. I would prefer if it wasn't by the Oilers though.

I would be good with that draft but I think it's unrealistic for Fabbro to fall to 32nd at this point. Also prefer Sawchenko over Vehviläinen and would probably use the 3rd for him and the other pick for another goalie like Jack LaFontaine or someone if I had to take another goalie.

Anyway, trying to predict a realistic draft that I'd be happy with:

5 - C/W Pierre-Luc Dubois
32 - LD Kale Clague
62 - RW Jordan Kyrou
FLA/MIN 3rd - G Zach Sawchenko
PIT 3rd - LW/RW Jesper Bratt
122 - LD Lucas Carlsson
STL 5th - C Aapeli Räsänen
152 - RD David Quenneville
182 - LD Yegor Rykov

Would be really happy with something like that, good diversity between the picks and you get a little bit of everything but mostly a ton of skill.

I took Sawchenko in my draft too, just in the 5th round :laugh: I wouldn't be at all against drafting a couple goalies this year.

I thought seriously about Kyrou, but I know someone in the Greyhounds organization that loves Boris Katchouk to the moon and back. High quality kid on and off the ice, tireless work ethic, and his teammates love him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I almost wish we had more lower round picks in last year's draft. Not that I'm unhappy with our draft picks, but imagine if we'd snagged a couple extra 6th and 7th round picks and picked up Soy, Leveille, and Vehilvilainen?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I almost wish we had more lower round picks in last year's draft. Not that I'm unhappy with our draft picks, but imagine if we'd snagged a couple extra 6th and 7th round picks and picked up Soy, Leveille, and Vehilvilainen?

We didn't need the low picks. I could have signed them.

Imagine we signed those two and drafted Barzal/Connor and Sebastian Aho. That could be the best draft

McDavid
Barzal/Connor
Aho
Jones
Bear
Marino
Paigin
Soy
Leveille

JA

Here is a 17-minute highlight package featuring all of Patrik Laine's goals and shift highlights from his 2016 MVP, championship Liiga playoff campaign with Tappara.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We didn't need the low picks. I could have signed them.

Imagine we signed those two and drafted Barzal/Connor and Sebastian Aho. That could be the best draft

McDavid
Barzal/Connor
Aho
Jones
Bear
Marino
Paigin
Soy
Leveille

Signing them would have put us in jeopardy with the 50 contract limit. Drafting them with low picks, however, would still have them be our property.

No way Soy falls through the draft again with the season he had, but I'd invite Leveille back to camp this year. He had a pretty decent year again in Cape Breton and we are still desperate for RHD.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

5 - Dubois (C/W)
32 - Fabbro (RHD)
62 - Katchouk (LW/RW)
PIT 3rd - Fortier (RW)
122 - Sawchenko (G)
STL 5th - Soy (C)
152 - Quenneville (RHD)
182 - Burke (C)

Vehvilainen's play at the WJC is going to hurt his draft stock a lot, I'd be surprised if he went before the 5th round this year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Vehvilainen's play at the WJC is going to hurt his draft stock a lot, I'd be surprised if he went before the 5th round this year.

His name is an absolute ***** to spell anyway :laugh:

Well, if not him, what goalie would you pick with our first 3rd? I'd like to see it go:

1st: Forward
2nd: Best RHD still on the board
3rd: Best goalie or forward on the board
3rd: Best forward or goalie on the board
Remainder: BPA.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Probably been asked 100 times before but i don't want to look thru 30 pages what time is draft lottery tomorrow?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Here is a 17-minute highlight package featuring all of Patrik Laine's goals and shift highlights from his 2016 MVP, championship Liiga playoff campaign with Tappara.

He moves around the ice a lot like Rick Nash. Shot is definitely a beast. Slight concern that a lot of his goals come when he's got a tonne of space. He's not going to have that kind of space in the NHL. Going to be an adjustment period there for sure I think.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
Probably been asked 100 times before but i don't want to look thru 30 pages what time is draft lottery tomorrow?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...matthews-maple-leafs-oilers-toronto-april-30/

WHAT IS THE DRAFT LOTTERY? A weighted system implemented and utilized to determine the order of selection in the first round of the 2016 NHL Draft, which takes place June 24-25 at the First Niagara Center in Buffalo.

WHEN DOES IT HAPPEN? Saturday, April 30, 7 p.m. ET.

WHERE WILL IT TAKE PLACE? The winner will be revealed at the Hockey Central studio inside CBC headquarters in downtown Toronto.

WHERE CAN I WATCH IT? Prior to puck drop for a marquee second-round series game on CBC, starting at 7 p.m. ET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad