Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Malenstyn had 25 pts this year... Yes, good defensively and decent skater but you have to do better than that...

It's not always about stats. I wasn't his biggest fan this year but you can see that he is a lot better than his numbers would indicate. But who knows I guess, due to his lack of production he could fall. I like Stallard a lot more.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
As talented as Laine is, there is just something about Pulju that makes me smile. He seems like he is having so much fun out there and his celebrations after scoring are awesome. He also has a real nose for the net and ability to make plays that let his teammates set up. Factor all that in with his speed and rawness and you can't help but love the kid.

Yeah, the kid seems to just love playing hockey and has a ton of upside to boot, probably more room to grow than Laine and Matthews but also more raw at the same time. I do worry about his puck handling ability and get a bit of a Paajarvi vibe because of it, but he has all the tools to succeed and seems to have an infectious upbeat personality which teammates should gravitate towards.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, the kid seems to just love playing hockey and has a ton of upside to boot, probably more room to grow than Laine and Matthews but also more raw at the same time. I do worry about his puck handling ability and get a bit of a Paajarvi vibe because of it, but he has all the tools to succeed and seems to have an infectious upbeat personality which teammates should gravitate towards.

All the coaches have said he's the perfect teammate, and seems to have captain material, he just loves playing so damm much and it shows.

Last night 2 hours before the game he thought he couldn't play, he couldn't eat anything and had been throwing up the whole day, had to take local anesthetic on his arm and iced his wrist everytime he was at the bench and what did he do, completely dominate and when you looked at him wouldn't have guessed, his coach mentioned it just after the game :handclap:

I really hope the IQ questions around him will start to drop soon, I think he has shown enough to not to question it so much.

I just love watching him play and can't wait for draft and next season.

oilz89*

Did a Mock Draft as the Oilers.. here's what I came out with..

1st round, 3rd overall - RW, Jesse Puljujarvi (Karpat, SM-Liga)
2nd round, 33rd overall - LW, Tyler Benson (Vancouver, WHL)
3rd round, 63rd overall - G, Zachary Sawchenko (Moose Jaw, WHL)
3rd round, 76th overall - LW, Brayden Burke (Lethbridge, WHL)
3rd round, 81st overall - RW, Eetu Tuuola (HPL, SM-Liga)
5th round, 123rd overall - RW, Nikolai Chebykin (MVD Balashikha, MHL)
5th round, 147th overall - LW, Beck Malenstyn (Calgary, WHL)
6th round, 153rd overall - RD, David Quenneville (Medicine Hat, WHL)
7th round, 183rd overall - Not picked yet

If the Oilers came out of the draft with something like this I would be very happy. I was lucky to get Quenneville before his U-18 performance. Don't think he'll be available in the 6th round. I wanted to address what I think is a very weak forward prospect pool. I actually planned on taking Fitzpatrick at 76th (two very good G prospects IMO) but he got selected before. Probably would've taken him over Sawchenko if I had a re-do.

Full draft here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2045417

One Dman?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
One Dman?

Well tradition is important ;)

Have you seen the Oilers depth chart? I can't name a single Oilers forward prospect who i'd bet on having an impactful NHL career.

edit: ya done good Mr. McMoss

Forwards are a much bigger need than defenseman IMO. If Chiarelli's plan comes to fruition and he moves forwards for defenseman, we're going to need to have guys in the system to step in soon up front.

Take it for what it's worth but I know one of the head scouts for the Anaheim Ducks and he told me straight up that the Ducks (as well as most of the other top teams) NEVER draft for need. He told me that if the scouts decide that a winger is the best choice with every one of their picks that they will pick all wingers. GM Bob Murray has complete faith in his scouting group and doesn't put current team needs ahead of drafting BPA.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Take it for what it's worth but I know one of the head scouts for the Anaheim Ducks and he told me straight up that the Ducks (as well as most of the other top teams) NEVER draft for need. He told me that if the scouts decide that a winger is the best choice with every one of their picks that they will pick all wingers. GM Bob Murray has complete faith in his scouting group and doesn't put current team needs ahead of drafting BPA.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Interesting. Makes sense though. I mean, even if you look at the NFL, Bill Belichick and the Patriots always draft BPA no matter what too.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Interesting. Makes sense though. I mean, even if you look at the NFL, Bill Belichick and the Patriots always draft BPA no matter what too.

Yep exactly. You have to think, the chances of any pick outside of the 1st round making the NHL is so slim that it's obviously best to pick the best players with the highest upside.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yep exactly. You have to think, the chances of any pick outside of the 1st round making the NHL is so slim that it's obviously best to pick the best players with the highest upside.

It's remarkable, especially compared to the NFL, how few players drafted after the 1st round go on to even play in the NHL, let alone make a meaningful impact.

Of course there are a handful of players every draft, but it seems like a complete crapshoot after the 1st.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Did a Mock Draft as the Oilers.. here's what I came out with..

1st round, 3rd overall - RW, Jesse Puljujarvi (Karpat, SM-Liga)
2nd round, 33rd overall - LW, Tyler Benson (Vancouver, WHL)
3rd round, 63rd overall - G, Zachary Sawchenko (Moose Jaw, WHL)
3rd round, 76th overall - LW, Brayden Burke (Lethbridge, WHL)
3rd round, 81st overall - RW, Eetu Tuuola (HPL, SM-Liga)
5th round, 123rd overall - RW, Nikolai Chebykin (MVD Balashikha, MHL)
5th round, 147th overall - LW, Beck Malenstyn (Calgary, WHL)
6th round, 153rd overall - RD, David Quenneville (Medicine Hat, WHL)
7th round, 183rd overall - Not picked yet

If the Oilers came out of the draft with something like this I would be very happy. I was lucky to get Quenneville before his U-18 performance. Don't think he'll be available in the 6th round. I wanted to address what I think is a very weak forward prospect pool. I actually planned on taking Fitzpatrick at 76th (two very good G prospects IMO) but he got selected before. Probably would've taken him over Sawchenko if I had a re-do.

Full draft here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2045417

I would have taken Logan in the second. Other than that good draft!

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Ahh the fear that Jesse Niinimaki and Magnus Paajarvi had a love child and it's Jesse Puljularvi

Would love any of the top 3

Mc2Curious

Feb 24, 2007
It's remarkable, especially compared to the NFL, how few players drafted after the 1st round go on to even play in the NHL, let alone make a meaningful impact.

Of course there are a handful of players every draft, but it seems like a complete crapshoot after the 1st.

Don't forget they are mostly drafting 21 or 22 year olds that have played 3 or 4 years of University

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Don't forget they are mostly drafting 21 or 22 year olds that have played 3 or 4 years of University

Yeah that's what I think is the biggest reason, plus they have larger rosters as well with the same number of draft rounds is likely a factor too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yeah I mean the 2012 draft would just be getting drafted now. You have 4 years of NCAA player (football) to weed out the suspects

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Magnus Paajarvi was a great prospect, we just ruined him in development.

Tied with Kreider for fastest prospect out of the draft. Drove the net a lot. Had confidence and emotion. We sucked it right out of him.

The Oilers were worried about Kulikov due to KHL fears.

Last edited:

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Tied with Kreider for fastest prospect out of the draft. Drove the net a lot. Had confidence and emotion. We sucked it right out of him.

I don't think we ruined Paajarvi. The knock on him was always an inability to finish, and sometimes you just can't teach that. He's never been a big playmaker and has always relied on speed, so the assist totals were never going to be huge.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Great prospect but turned out to be a below average player. Even the Blues couldn't get anything out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad