Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Haha there's already crying by other teams GMs during the GM meetings.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1...-furious-if-oilers-win-lottery-again-1.478885

Boo frickin hoo Doug Armstrong. Maybe you should just miss the playoffs just to get this "opportunity":laugh:

To me, it must be a small minority of GMs who are really so furious. If there really were a huge appetite for a rule limiting lottery wins, they would have made the rule after the Oilers won last time. It's not like it's hard to change things, like with the changes in how they called penalties, and adding 3 on 3 OT, etc..

I'm not against the idea of a rule limiting 1st overall picks though. I'm fine with it as long as the league doesn't step in an block us if we win this time. Maybe GMs don't want the rule to change because they want lots of top picks if they are lucky enough, and they think that we will improve in time not to be affected by the new rules! :naughty:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
if the oilers win the lotto--this entire board will need to be put in the relocation program for a month

it will be glorious.

This, more than any other reason is why I want to win the lottery.

Obviously for asset help, I'm hoping for one of the lottery picks, but if we fall to 5, its a tradable asset.

Before last year I was a bit bitter about how weak our 1st overall draft options were, but McDavid made up for it. I'm content moving forward in that regard.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wonder if Kale Clague will be available at #32? I've been impressed with him when I've seen him play.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So Bobby Mac yesterday said top 6 are all forwards according to his scouts. He has his top15 out today sometime. Said teams in top 6 would be silly to take a dman, as there is no clear cut top dman in the draft this year.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
So Bobby Mac yesterday said top 6 are all forwards according to his scouts. He has his top15 out today sometime. Said teams in top 6 would be silly to take a dman, as there is no clear cut top dman in the draft this year.

Hockey gods Dblocking the Oilers again..

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

I have been thinking for a while that Oilers fans are so desperate for a D that we're seeing things that aren't there in this draft class. Like a guy with a good shot at being a 1D.

Trade the pick for a D.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Do you know where he said this? I just think it's strange that McKenzie, who would know as well as anyone the reason behind players rising and falling, would call taking a defenseman in the top 6 "silly".

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Do you know where he said this? I just think it's strange that McKenzie, who would know as well as anyone the reason behind players rising and falling, would call taking a defenseman in the top 6 "silly".

I listened to the interview on tsn site, it was vancouver radio.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Picking Dubios or a forward is not necessarily a problem. Some forwards will be traded for D anyway

Plus I like our chances with UFA D more than I do with UFA forwards

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I listened to the interview on tsn site, it was vancouver radio.

Ah, ok, I just listened to it. He didn't say silly... he said if teams took a defenseman in the top 6, they would just need to be sure they're not passing up a possible impact player in Tkachuk, Dubois or Nylander.

He also said some teams have a defenseman in the top 5.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
To me, it must be a small minority of GMs who are really so furious. If there really were a huge appetite for a rule limiting lottery wins, they would have made the rule after the Oilers won last time. It's not like it's hard to change things, like with the changes in how they called penalties, and adding 3 on 3 OT, etc..

I'm not against the idea of a rule limiting 1st overall picks though. I'm fine with it as long as the league doesn't step in an block us if we win this time. Maybe GMs don't want the rule to change because they want lots of top picks if they are lucky enough, and they think that we will improve in time not to be affected by the new rules! :naughty:

I think most of the gm's are smart enough to know this rule could come back and bite them in the ass.

Imagine if the #1 pick the year you won was extremely underwhelming. And the next year or year after (depending how long you're excluded from winning) is the next McDavid.

There's a possibility you could have teams obstain from the lottery.

It's not likely.. course it's not likely the Oilers would do what they've done.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I have been thinking for a while that Oilers fans are so desperate for a D that we're seeing things that aren't there in this draft class. Like a guy with a good shot at being a 1D.

Trade the pick for a D.

There's not guaranteed #1 guy there but I think 3 guys have a good chance at being our best d-man, it'll take a few years but it could be worth it. I like the idea of trading the pick for a D but if the trade isnt there I'm ok with trading back a few spots and picking up a Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Ah, ok, I just listened to it. He didn't say silly... he said if teams took a defenseman in the top 6, they would just need to be sure they're not passing up a possible impact player in Tkachuk, Dubois or Nylander.

He also said some teams have a defenseman in the top 5.

oh my bad on the silly sorry. I didnt realize thats what your quote was about or I would of corrected it. I took it as silly though.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Picking Dubios or a forward is not necessarily a problem. Some forwards will be traded for D anyway

Plus I like our chances with UFA D more than I do with UFA forwards

Just curious, who is on your UFA list for D. I like Kris Russell. I think he could be half cheap and can move the puck

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Trade the pick for a D.

This please.

The only guy I would hesitate trading tbh is Laine.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Just curious, who is on your UFA list for D. I like Kris Russell. I think he could be half cheap and can move the puck

Demers (number 1 target)
Goigolski
Yandle

These guys arent better than UFA forwards, but I think the market for these guys will be better for us. Some teams will fight eachother for Okposo/Lucic/Backes and I think Demers will go under the radar. I think hell come cheaper than the forwards (relative to his play)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Trade the pick for a D.

Oilers dont need a 18yo projecting to be a #1D anyway.

I would rather draft a forward and trade our existing top 6 players if the return is comparable.

Draft Matthews - Trade RNH
Draft Laine - Trade Hall
Draft Puljujarvi - Trade Eberle\RNH

Sure we take a hit on experience but we get rid of some of the old core & bring in bigger bodies.

sometimes no experience > bad experience

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I imagine his top 15 looks something like this:

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujarvi
4. Dubois
5. Tkachuk
6. Nylander
7. Chychrun
8. Jost
9. Bean
10. Keller
11. Fabbro
12. Juolevi
13. Sergachev
14. Brown
15. McLeod

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers dont need a 18yo projecting to be a #1D anyway.

I would rather draft a forward and trade our existing top 6 players if the return is comparable.

Draft Matthews - Trade RNH
Draft Laine - Trade Hall
Draft Puljujarvi - Trade Eberle\RNH

Sure we take a hit on experience but we get rid of some of the old core & bring in bigger bodies.

sometimes no experience > bad experience

This seems like a move from MacTs handbook.

Draft Petry> move Gilbert
Sign Justin Schultz > move Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad