Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Oilers dont need a 18yo projecting to be a #1D anyway.

I would rather draft a forward and trade our existing top 6 players if the return is comparable.

Draft Matthews - Trade RNH
Draft Laine - Trade Hall
Draft Puljujarvi - Trade Eberle\RNH

Sure we take a hit on experience but we get rid of some of the old core & bring in bigger bodies.

sometimes no experience > bad experience

I would prefer to keep the experienced guys and trade the pick for an experienced D. More growing pains with rookie kids sounds awful.

I have been pushing to trade this pick for months now. To me that is the best possible solution. I want to push hard to make the playoffs next year. Not in a few more years when whoever we draft to replace Hall/RNH/Eberle is ready to fill that void completely.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I would prefer to keep the experienced guys and trade the pick for an experienced D. More growing pains with rookie kids sounds awful.

I have been pushing to trade this pick for months now. To me that is the best possible solution. I want to push hard to make the playoffs next year. Not in a few more years when whoever we draft to replace Hall/RNH/Eberle is ready to fill that void completely.

McDavid is already better than Nuge. Matthews could be by the end of this year as well. Laine or Pulju could be better than Eberle by years end. These are special players.

Trading the old core frees up cap space and brings in new voices.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton

QFT. Trade the damn pick and get this ship turned around. One wasted McDavid season is enough.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
McDavid is already better than Nuge. Matthews could be by the end of this year as well. Laine or Pulju could be better than Eberle by years end. These are special players.

Trading the old core frees up cap space and brings in new voices.

McDavid is McDavid. Everyone knew what he was going to be. Comparing anyone from this draft class to him is simply unfair for that player.

Laine, Matthews etc are standard top of the draft players. Think Landeskog, MacKinnon, Eichel, etc. Laine isn't going to come in a produce at a Hall or even Eberle level for years, if ever. Matthews won't bring the 2 way game RNH has currently for a while either.

The shiny new toy isn't always the best option.

Unless the trade offers are garbage and we can't take a good bite out of fixing the D by trading the pick, the Oilers should trade the pick.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
McDavid is McDavid. Everyone knew what he was going to be. Comparing anyone from this draft class to him is simply unfair for that player.

Laine, Matthews etc are standard top of the draft players. Think Landeskog, MacKinnon, Eichel, etc. Laine isn't going to come in a produce at a Hall or even Eberle level for years, if ever. Matthews won't bring the 2 way game RNH has currently for a while either.

Unless the trade offers are garbage and we can't take a good bite out of fixing the D by trading the pick, the Oilers should trade the pick.

In this case, the shiny new toys will blow the golden boys out of the water. If Laine and Matthews were on the table for 2 of Hall/RNH/Ebs, I'd make that trade all day. I'm not even going to bother bringing up contracts. Neither are $5M better than Laine/Matthews. They had 5-6 years to carry the team out of the basement and never did. Time to let go. Hall stays tho.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

There's been some discussion on the Jets board about whether we would consider trading Trouba for the 2nd overall. Most Jets feel that we wouldn't do it unless we are having issues signing Trouba.

If that was the case & you had the second overall pick, would that be a fair trade?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There's been some discussion on the Jets board about whether we would consider trading Trouba for the 2nd overall. Most Jets feel that we wouldn't do it unless we are having issues signing Trouba.

If that was the case & you had the second overall pick, would that be a fair trade?
No..

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I don't think the Oilers would do it, and if they wouldn't, I don't see any other team doing it either.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Trouba for RNH/Ebs makes more sense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Not until I heard his ridiculous asking price for his next contract was coming down, I wouldn't.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just ran one simulator, and only one. Talk about weird results.

1. Colorado
2. Arizona
3. Edmonton

East and the rest of Canada gets shut out, Oilers get Plujujarvi or Dubois? Sign me up.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
3 more days until we find out if we're keeping the pick (top 3) or trading the pick (4th or 5th)

things will get clearer then

I doubt they'll be any clearer..

I suspect, if we don't win 1st, we'll end up 4th. However, we have no idea whether either pick (1st to 5th) would be traded until after the playoffs and perhaps not even then until the draft.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
If the only way the Jets would deal Trouba for #2 overall is if his asking price was so bad that they had to trade him, then why would we then trade the #2 overall pick for someone else's headache?

I have no idea how much they value him.

I would think trading Trouba for #2 overall if he signed a Hamonic type steal for 6+ years would make sense.

But then why would the Jets deal him?

Doesn't seem to add up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

It's not that simple though. There's the cap to think about and the expansion draft (likely).
This pick has become an exceedingly value asset not only because it's a core player on the cheap for the next 3 years but also because it's an exempt core player in case of the expansion draft.

They are going to need to move some salary out at some point because they are going to bring in salary while also changing the look of the forward group (out with the one dimensional floaters and in with players who are tougher to play against).
I'm not against dealing the pick if it's for a top Dman and I would be 100% for dealing it if it drops to 4 or 5 but there's a lot of complications in dealing the pick. I think Chia's preference is dealing some of the pricey forwards.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the only way the Jets would deal Trouba for #2 overall is if his asking price was so bad that they had to trade him, then why would we then trade the #2 overall pick for someone else's headache?

I have no idea how much they value him.

I would think trading Trouba for #2 overall if he signed a Hamonic type steal for 6+ years would make sense.

But then why would the Jets deal him?

Doesn't seem to add up.

well they have two RHD already, so maybe they want some scoring. They probably would most prefer to make a lateral one-for-one trade for a LHD.

As for the contract issues between both sides, I wouldn't put much stock in it. Trouba's an RFA so they know they can take their time and try to chisel his asking price down as much as they can get away with.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
In this case, the shiny new toys will blow the golden boys out of the water. If Laine and Matthews were on the table for 2 of Hall/RNH/Ebs, I'd make that trade all day. I'm not even going to bother bringing up contracts. Neither are $5M better than Laine/Matthews. They had 5-6 years to carry the team out of the basement and never did. Time to let go. Hall stays tho.

Every year, at this time the draft players seem like sure fire absolute steals and they will be better than everyone currently on the roster. This time next year, half the names taken in the top 15 will be possible trade targets for way less than their current draft position.

Kids aren't going to fix this team. Experienced top 4 D will.

I'd consider it, but probably try to aim higher, like Faulk. I still like Trouba and think he just had an off year. But if it's the Laine pick, I'd want more than just him. JMO

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
It's not that simple though. There's the cap to think about and the expansion draft (likely).
This pick has become an exceedingly value asset not only because it's a core player on the cheap for the next 3 years but also because it's an exempt core player in case of the expansion draft.

They are going to need to move some salary out at some point because they are going to bring in salary while also changing the look of the forward group (out with the one dimensional floaters and in with players who are tougher to play against).
I'm not against dealing the pick if it's for a top Dman and I would be 100% for dealing it if it drops to 4 or 5 but there's a lot of complications in dealing the pick. I think Chia's preference is dealing some of the pricey forwards.

Imo, you don't move out salary until you have to. Look at how teams like Chicago and LA flirt with the cap and bring in high cost players every year even when stretched to the limit. Worry about the cap when you're forced to.

As for expansion, pretty sure there is a limit on the number of guys that can me taken from one team. And it isn't like the Oiler players have the best rep around the league atm. Other teams are worrying about their guys getting taken as well. LV will only be taking 6 or so D. Will our exposed guys be amongst the top 6 exposed guy for the draft? Worrying about getting good players because then they might get exposed just means we're writing off next season as well already.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Every year, at this time the draft players seem like sure fire absolute steals and they will be better than everyone currently on the roster. This time next year, half the names taken in the top 15 will be possible trade targets for way less than their current draft position.

Kids aren't going to fix this team. Experienced top 4 D will.

2 top 4 D's and RNH+Ebs can get you those. Both no longer a fit on this team and it's becoming exceedingly clearer by the day.

Look at all the top rookies this year and what impact they made to their teams. Those are the comparable I see in Matthews/Laine. Kids who will come into the league and make an impact from the get go.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
2 top 4 D's and RNH+Ebs can get you those. Both no longer a fit on this team and it's becoming exceedingly clearer by the day.

Look at all the top rookies this year and what impact they made to their teams. Those are the comparable I see in Matthews/Laine. Kids who will come into the league and make an impact from the get go.

All those teams that bring in kids surround them with Vets in order to actually improve the team. Trading vets and bringing in kids is exactly what we have been trying for the last decade. How's that working out so far?

I expect one of Ebs/Yak to be gone in a trade for a D. That makes sense. But trading RNH seems very silly. He's the only insurance this team has for a C injury. If Drai or McDavid goes down we're looking at Lander/Letestu in the top 6. Just think about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad