Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I would prefer to keep the experienced guys and trade the pick for an experienced D. More growing pains with rookie kids sounds awful.

I have been pushing to trade this pick for months now. To me that is the best possible solution. I want to push hard to make the playoffs next year. Not in a few more years when whoever we draft to replace Hall/RNH/Eberle is ready to fill that void completely.

Factor in that the experienced guys in question make 6M\yr and havent really played Chiarelli hockey.

Would you really prefer RNH over Laine and Puljujarvi over Eberle on the Oilers next season? IMO these would be instant upgrades in terms of the direction this team is going.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
All those teams that bring in kids surround them with Vets in order to actually improve the team. Trading vets and bringing in kids is exactly what we have been trying for the last decade. How's that working out so far?

I expect one of Ebs/Yak to be gone in a trade for a D. That makes sense. But trading RNH seems very silly. He's the only insurance this team has for a C injury. If Drai or McDavid goes down we're looking at Lander/Letestu in the top 6. Just think about that.

Hall\RNH\Eberle just arent great "veterans". They are kids who never got sheltered.

The defenseman we bring in needs to be in his prime but trading away one of the 6M forwards wouldnt really be a bad thing.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Factor in that the experienced guys in question make 6M\yr and havent really played Chiarelli hockey.

Would you really prefer RNH over Laine and Puljujarvi over Eberle on the Oilers next season? IMO these would be instant upgrades in terms of the direction this team is going.

I absolutely want guys with experience. I want to trade the pick for more experience. If this team ends up with any of the top 5 names from this draft on the team next year, I will consider that a failure for Chia. The pick should get traded for D help.

Add a great shut down D, ideally Hamonic. And add a good puck mover like Vatanen, Barrie or Faulk(dream). Then see what the forwards can do. We should be able to do that by moving Eberle/Yak + the pick + filler, imo

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I absolutely want guys with experience. I want to trade the pick for more experience. If this team ends up with any of the top 5 names from this draft on the team next year, I will consider that a failure for Chia. The pick should get traded for D help.

Add a great shut down D, ideally Hamonic. And add a good puck mover like Vatanen, Barrie or Faulk(dream). Then see what the forwards can do. We should be able to do that by moving Eberle/Yak + the pick + filler, imo

No amount of D will not stop RNH/Ebs from being weak against the boards. This is where Matthews and Laine blows them out of the water. Bigger, stronger, faster. That's what you call men.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
All those teams that bring in kids surround them with Vets in order to actually improve the team. Trading vets and bringing in kids is exactly what we have been trying for the last decade. How's that working out so far?

I expect one of Ebs/Yak to be gone in a trade for a D. That makes sense. But trading RNH seems very silly. He's the only insurance this team has for a C injury. If Drai or McDavid goes down we're looking at Lander/Letestu in the top 6. Just think about that.

That's a really black and white way of looking the situation. Chia is a smart guy, so if he were to deal RNH he would have a backup plan already in place to fill the 3C role with a much better player than Letestu.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Keep the pick and choose a great, young forward. Then trade one of the $6 million Golden Boys for D. This way we have one less guy to worry about protecting in the expansion draft.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Keep the pick and choose a great, young forward. Then trade one of the $6 million Golden Boys for D. This way we have one less guy to worry about protecting in the expansion draft.

I agree with this. The best teams in the league always have an influx of cheap players that they develop or draft. I think you can solve the D issues with UFA (Demers) or other assets.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That's a really black and white way of looking the situation. Chia is a smart guy, so if he were to deal RNH he would have a backup plan already in place to fill the 3C role with a much better player than Letestu.

That is a less talked about issue but a very big one. It is by far the biggest problem we have on the forward core imo. We need a 3C, a real checking line player. Well, ultimately we need a truly great third line period, but imo getting that center will fix the problem.

Like you say, it should be someone we should be comfortable with in the top six when need be, or in certain key situations that call for it. Ideally, he should be a right handed shot as well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Imo, you don't move out salary until you have to. Look at how teams like Chicago and LA flirt with the cap and bring in high cost players every year even when stretched to the limit. Worry about the cap when you're forced to.

As for expansion, pretty sure there is a limit on the number of guys that can me taken from one team. And it isn't like the Oiler players have the best rep around the league atm. Other teams are worrying about their guys getting taken as well. LV will only be taking 6 or so D. Will our exposed guys be amongst the top 6 exposed guy for the draft? Worrying about getting good players because then they might get exposed just means we're writing off next season as well already.

Chicago and L.A. flirt with the cap as contenders and L.A. was somehow able to circumvent the cap with some voodoo magic. The Oilers will soon be flirting with the cap as a bottom feeder trying to work their way up the league if they are adding good players this offseason. They can't afford to add good Dmen and keep all the pricey forwards while also adding needed forwards. It's just not feasible.

You have to plan for the expansion draft, it's a part of the process, and the pick is more valuable than guys like Nuge and Eberle because of that. I'm not saying that they should hoard the pick and deal those guys just for the hell of it, you need to get value in return for them, but you need to get full value for the pick if you're dealing it especially if it's top 3. That asset is gold right now and could be the Oilers most valuable asset outside of McDavid if it lands top 3.

It's entirely possible that chia is looking to deal the pick and several of the high end forwards if rumors are to be believed that he is looking to facelift the roster so all bets are off as to what his intentions are.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

So do you prefer RNH\Eberle over Draisatil?

I dont like the lumping of 5 picks together. I would make Draisatil the benchmark... Limited experience and all.

Would Matthews not be an upgrade over Drai as early as next season?
Would Laine not be on par with him?

The ones after top 2 I agree that I would rather have experience than a skilled prospect. Laine and Matthews would be the exception.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Too many people to reply to individually on my phone.

I am sticking with that my opinion that my preference is to move the pick for a top dman. I want to improve as much as possible next season. Expansion, salary cap, all secondary concerns compared to making the playoffs. By the draft our pick will be very valuable and it will be out best shot at the top pairing D this team needs more than anything.

I have no interest at all in having Laine or Matthews or whoever on this team next year unless there are no top pairing D available for the pick.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Getting a #1 D and a #1 goalie reminds of the Habs. Lots of pretenders up front. Too much losing stinks that even a #1D cannot fix. If we are going to fix the backend, it should come in the form of 2017 pick+RNH+Ebs+Yak+Reinhart+Nurse and UFAs. Not someone who will be the 2nd best player on the Oilers after McDavid

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

This is the way I see it too. If RNH, Ebs get traded it's not only because they could bring back some quality dmen, it's because Chia is trying to change the makeup of the team. That why I would be really shocked if they were to trade Hall (although he's certainly not 100% safe), because he fits the style they're looking for a lot better than RNH/Ebs.

If they Oilers pick top 3, I expect them to take one of the big forwards. And even if they don't pick top 3, I bet they take a very hard look at Tkachuk. Not because they are enamored with their latest new toy, but because he's a style closer to what Chia is trying to build.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think after Matthews and Laine there's a pretty big drop-off in this draft.

There's some forwards who look pretty decent.

s7ark I know you're not a fan of Chychrun, but I feel like teams develop guys like him, and then they become extremely, extremely expensive to acquire if you don't develop them yourself.

He could be our Pietrangelo or Hedman.

We shouldn't expect this year's draft pick, other than maybe Matthews, to be helping us make the playoffs in the next couple of years.

Even if Chychrun turns out like Klefbom, which in some ways he is similar to, then we'd have 2 Klefboms on the LHD.

HeavyHitter97 is the pro and I'll trust his opinion - maybe he can give us a scouting report on Chychrun. People are concerned because he wasn't as flamboyant this year and his scoring was on par to last year, but I think Hatcher as the coach has a say in that (ask Alexander Ovechkin).

We saw the Chychrun everyone is excited about against Sweden in the U-18s.

His critics point to "hockey IQ", but people throw that around like "intangibles" and "leadership", and I kinda feel you can find hockey IQ in a player you like, and find it's lacking in a player you don't like, if that makes sense.

He plays 30 minutes per name in all situations - EV, PP and PK and doesn't get tired. He appears to be able to skate out the puck or pass it up quickly in transition.

I think Sergachev probably has a better shot and maybe better overall offensively, but Chychrun is already 6'2" 215 and can do everything.

I dunno. This pick isn't likely to make or break the Oilers, but every year I always get focused on one player I'd like the Oilers to pick.

In 2014, it was Draisaitl. :)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think after Matthews and Laine there's a pretty big drop-off in this draft.

There's some forwards who look pretty decent.

McKenzie's annual pre-draft survey of scouts indicates that the drop-off occurs after Puljujärvi at 3. After that the scouts start scattering their picks among the next three forwards - Tkachuk, Dubois, and Nylander and then the three defensemen - Chychrun, Juolevi, and Sergachev. Any of the defenseman are ranked as high as 4 and as low as top-15 with a not much consensus about where they should be drafted.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
McKenzie's annual pre-draft survey of scouts indicates that the drop-off occurs after Puljujärvi at 3. After that the scouts start scattering their picks among the next three forwards - Tkachuk, Dubois, and Nylander and then the three defensemen - Chychrun, Juolevi, and Sergachev. Any of the defenseman are ranked as high as 4 and as low as top-15 with a not much consensus about where they should be drafted.

I think Matthews/Laine are Eichel/Tavares level prospects. Pulj is Mackinnon/Hall Dubios/forwards are RNH/Reinhart level prospects. Ofcourse this is just comparisons as draftees. So even the forwards after 4 are still good talents even if a step down from Laine. I mean Dubios/Thachuk are putting up around 100 points as draft -1 players. Thats around what some past top 3 picks were doing.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
So Bobby Mac yesterday said top 6 are all forwards according to his scouts. He has his top15 out today sometime. Said teams in top 6 would be silly to take a dman, as there is no clear cut top dman in the draft this year.

I wonder what it would take to move that 32nd up to seventh then.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
There's been some discussion on the Jets board about whether we would consider trading Trouba for the 2nd overall. Most Jets feel that we wouldn't do it unless we are having issues signing Trouba.

If that was the case & you had the second overall pick, would that be a fair trade?

No, Trouba is asking for the moon. Too much money.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Getting a #1 D and a #1 goalie reminds of the Habs. Lots of pretenders up front. Too much losing stinks that even a #1D cannot fix. If we are going to fix the backend, it should come in the form of 2017 pick+RNH+Ebs+Yak+Reinhart+Nurse and UFAs. Not someone who will be the 2nd best player on the Oilers after McDavid

Who is that the guy we pick at #4 cause that is the most likely spot we draft at. Even if it's not I think we've seen by now that it's almost impossible to get top end D but offensively talented wingers are not nearly as difficult. I dont think Laine or Pulujarvi or even Matthews have as much impact on this team moving forward as adding a top end defenceman.

The Habs were tops of the Eastern conference earlier this season until Price went down with injury.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
You think we could land Drouin for a 2nd+Yak? That would free up RNH to trade for a guy like Vatanen. Then trade either Eberle or the pick for a guy like Hamonic. That way we have an extra center in case of injury and two new, solid, defense men.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
You think we could land Drouin for a 2nd+Yak? That would free up RNH to trade for a guy like Vatanen. Then trade either Eberle or the pick for a guy like Hamonic. That way we have an extra center in case of injury and two new, solid, defense men.

RNH for Vatanen? What is wrong with you. We get killed in that deal. Badly.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
RNH for Vatanen? What is wrong with you. We get killed in that deal. Badly.

Well obviously it wouldn't be a one for one trade. Anaheim would have to add.

But RNH for any good offensive defencemen immediately improves this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad