Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I don't say this often about a player but wow is Stanley awful and is confirming my thoughts from my viewing of him in the OHL. Zero hockey sense, pathetic decision making in the offensive zone, isn't consistently physical, doesn't keep players out of the crease and is easily beat in battles. By far the worst player on team Canada and maybe on the ice in this game. Oh but he is tall so he'll go first round :facepalm:

^sounds like the perfect Oiler. let's draft him!! :laugh:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Did a Mock Draft as the Oilers.. here's what I came out with..

1st round, 3rd overall - RW, Jesse Puljujarvi (Karpat, SM-Liga)
2nd round, 33rd overall - LW, Tyler Benson (Vancouver, WHL)
3rd round, 63rd overall - G, Zachary Sawchenko (Moose Jaw, WHL)
3rd round, 76th overall - LW, Brayden Burke (Lethbridge, WHL)
3rd round, 81st overall - RW, Eetu Tuuola (HPL, SM-Liga)
5th round, 123rd overall - RW, Nikolai Chebykin (MVD Balashikha, MHL)
5th round, 147th overall - LW, Beck Malenstyn (Calgary, WHL)
6th round, 153rd overall - RD, David Quenneville (Medicine Hat, WHL)
7th round, 183rd overall - Not picked yet

If the Oilers came out of the draft with something like this I would be very happy. I was lucky to get Quenneville before his U-18 performance. Don't think he'll be available in the 6th round. I wanted to address what I think is a very weak forward prospect pool. I actually planned on taking Fitzpatrick at 76th (two very good G prospects IMO) but he got selected before. Probably would've taken him over Sawchenko if I had a re-do.

Full draft here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2045417

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pulju with a beauty! Another goal.

Top 3 we get a Finn and McDavid gets his Kurri. Both 6'4 and right shot.

#1/2 - Laine
#3 - Pulju

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

If the Oilers came out of the draft with something like this I would be very happy. I was lucky to get Quenneville before his U-18 performance. Don't think he'll be available in the 6th round. I wanted to address what I think is a very weak forward prospect pool. I actually planned on taking Fitzpatrick at 76th (two very good G prospects IMO) but he got selected before. Probably would've taken him over Sawchenko if I had a re-do.

I would be ecstatic if that was our draft.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Pulju with a beauty! Another goal.

Top 3 we get a Finn and McDavid gets his Kurri. Both 6'4 and right shot.

#1/2 - Laine
#3 - Pulju

As talented as Laine is, there is just something about Pulju that makes me smile. He seems like he is having so much fun out there and his celebrations after scoring are awesome. He also has a real nose for the net and ability to make plays that let his teammates set up. Factor all that in with his speed and rawness and you can't help but love the kid.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As talented as Laine is, there is just something about Pulju that makes me smile. He seems like he is having so much fun out there and his celebrations after scoring are awesome. He also has a real nose for the net and ability to make plays that let his teammates set up. Factor all that in with his speed and rawness and you can't help but love the kid.

He was a little sluggish first game coming over but since then he's looked fantastic, excellent skater and excellent shooter. His hockey IQ is also through the roof.

I've gone from badly wanting a top 2 pick to top 3.

Damn, new system might screw us (but we really cant complain)

Hoping for a Finn, the hockey gods want 97 to have his Kurri :yo:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Even before the U18 Quenneville wasn't going to be there In the 6th. Also no chance Malenstyn falls to the 5th.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
This rely underlines the grim reality that Chia has spent too much time with MacT.

MacT is under contract still and regardless of how bad a GM he might have been, he was a good player and coach in the NHL.

I don't think he's doing any damage since I'm sure he will be gone once his contract is up, which I thought was at the end of this year.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
This rely underlines the grim reality that Chia has spent too much time with MacT.

I would be OK with it if he fired most of the other scouts and replaced them. Then it would send a message that Mac T, otherwise shrewd evaluator, was misled by bad scouting and Chiarelli agreed and adjusted the staff. Our Pro scouting especially.

Unfortunately only MacGregor has paid the price that I know of, and he was pretty solid. Was not the worst head scout around thats for sure -- most of the gems he found were shipped out by dunces so we received no benefit. And we just have a continuation of past failures ongoing.

As a side note, we will go into next year with Woodcroft as head PP coach, and anyone else who failed will probably still be around too. We'll cull one or two guys who are actually useful and have potential and lock in all the crap.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I wonder if we see something like this for a first three picks:

2. Laine
32. Fabbro
62. Best remaining goalie prospect

Agreed with the first 2. I think this draft is the year we get our elite powerforward and our RHD with top pairing upside prospects

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
32nd is an interesting pick especially with multiple 3rds to move it up if desired. There are always guys who fall and it's not uncommon to be able to get a top 15-20 talent at 25-35. That 2nd rounder will be the most interesting pick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad