Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Reading all the posts about he was asked/ no he wasn’t I have to agree with the “no he wasn’t “ camp. However that is a major failing from Leafs management at all levels.
They have taken the easy way out…….run it back fro the 9th year

It's a terrible look if it isn't here.
So you are firmly in the camp to run it Back for the 8th or 9th year regardless of the cost?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Which makes perfect sense - over the last five playoffs, Nylander leads the team in goals (and has a higher points %).
Not sure what you think you're saying here, or what it has to do with Nylander's playoff production being more reliant on secondary assists.
Will he get as much, or even close to as much, from another team as he would from Toronto?
Of course he would. Probably more.

Reactions: bax

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I especially admired when he tried to get in her car. Omg guys it's not that bad to try and get into a woman's car at night with your buddies and then try and hide it so you can still be named captain. Stop being negative guys. I hope to buy a Carter Hart and Dillon Dube jersey at Real Sports in the near future.
There was an allegation of that.

Reactions: myleafs

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Should be Matty drives the 1st, Mitch drives the 2nd and JT centers the 3rd. If the players bitch, too damn bad , figure out a way to make it work.

Willie is more of a shooter, stick him on LW with Mitch at RW, can't remember if he shoots left or right but Euro wingers play their off wing all the time, I think the best Euro (Kuch) plays his off wing. Try to get AM easy match ups, partner him with Domi and now we have 3 solid lines. JT as your 3rd line center, pair him with McMann ( I think McMann has a legit 20 goals, year in year out, in him), with JT's faceoff abilities and net front presence, that would make the third line really strong,
I think Willy is more the 'line driver' than Mitch, but my question is "who's on 2C?" (Apologies to Bud and Lou.) Plus I'm not sure it's possible to get the best scorer in the league "easy match ups".

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I especially admired when he tried to get in her car. Omg guys it's not that bad to try and get into a woman's car at night with your buddies and then try and hide it so you can still be named captain. Stop being negative guys. I hope to buy a Carter Hart and Dillon Dube jersey at Real Sports in the near future.
There is nothing admirable about what he did, and I very specifically do not want to condone any sort of "boys will be boys" behaviour. But it's categorically insane to equate jiggling a door handle to the alleged gang-rape of a young woman.

Is what he did alarming? Yes. Is it an action that could have precipitated more heinous crimes? Yes. Did those more heinous crimes happen? No. Is there any indication that those more heinous crimes were intended? Also no.

He did a bad thing. He also did not get anywhere near committing a heinous crime for which public judgement would be reasonable. He has not demonstrated that this sort of malicious behaviour is a pattern, nor has he shirked accountability or made excuses for his behaviour. He has apologized and moved on with his life. I believe his apology is genuine, and he has learned from his behaviour.

If we are talking about morality, then we must speak of virtue along with vice. Forgiveness is virtuous, and I believe Matthews has demonstrated that he should be forgiven for this incident. Therefore, I no longer care, and am skeptical of arguments that this should be held over his head. It was disorderly conduct, not a sex crime, and he has apologized and not done it again. What more do you want?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not sure what you think you're saying here, or what it has to do with Nylander's playoff production being more reliant on secondary assists.

Of course he would. Probably more.
I said Nylander got more goals, and you somehow read that as 'secondary assists'? :laugh:

In case you don't know, if you score a goals you do not get an assist on it.

And your habit of making partial quotes to avoid the real point is as childishly annoying as usual, but that's probably why you do it, right?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If having an 'A' means post game interview obligations and media responsibilities...then Marner should run far away. Having a camera and mic on him is a one way ticket to his own demise.

If he's such a leader/good teammate that everyone says he is, why should it matter? Do it in the room and behind the scenes, unless his ego can't handle it.

Shambles is a terrible leader. Bumbles and fumbles interviews and cries on and off the ice in playoffs. Then gives attitude to the media like yo dont you know we are like gods here.

He is the most expensive trainwreck we have ever had. Probably tied with Clarkson.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I said Nylander got more goals, and you somehow read that as 'secondary assists'?
The discussion you entered was about secondary assists.
The overwhelming majority of his playoff points have been empty calorie secondary assists
The overwhelming majority of his playoff points have been primary points. He actually has a higher primary point percentage than Nylander.
I have no clue why you started talking about goals.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bigger issue with Nylander was the goals against more so than the goals for.
Hopefully he’ll be a plus player going forward.

Reactions: bax

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I think Willy is more the 'line driver' than Mitch, but my question is "who's on 2C?" (Apologies to Bud and Lou.) Plus I'm not sure it's possible to get the best scorer in the league "easy match ups".

McDavid? :D

With the way this roster is built there is no good answer to your question, you have either a guy who has zero years of experience in the NHL or guys who are better suited for the 4th line or AHL..

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I said Nylander got more goals, and you somehow read that as 'secondary assists'? :laugh:

In case you don't know, if you score a goals you do not get an assist on it.

And your habit of making partial quotes to avoid the real point is as childishly annoying as usual, but that's probably why you do it, right?

Since when? :sarcasm:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Leafs are over 100 years old ... removing any player isn't going to destroy poop.
They are all temps.
The Toronto Maple Leafs will continue to exist as a franchise, but the quality of our current team would be damaged.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The question is not 'will he get paid?' but 'how much?'

Will he get as much, or even close to as much, from another team as he would from Toronto?

I know you're sure he would, but I wonder if his camp is as confident.
We don't have to pay more than another team, infact we can more than likely pay 1/2 million less. 11 max.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs are over 100 years old ... removing any player isn't going to destroy poop.

They are all temps.
If they do it right it could improve the team, if they do it wrong, they go back to being a playoff bubble team like they’ve been 6 of the past 8 years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Johnny Hockey got paid but he got less than what he turned down from the Flames. There will always be a dumb GM (see Kyle trade for EK65) that will pay Marner. It just won't be what he thinks he is worth IMO.

Willie won me over when he told Mitch to stop crying on the bench. He's still overpaid but he is most likeable of the 3. Can't say that was the case after he returned after his two month hiatus.
No question, Willy is a happy-go-lucky guy and fans like that in his personality.. Willy has never fought with the media or said stupid stuff like fans view him as a "GOD".

That was a massive turning point when Marner is throwing his temper tantrum on the bench, (Never a good look for so called leader), and Willy essentially told him to "stop crying and just play !!!!!",

For me also Willy gets less of the heat for the playoff loss because he was the only one that was actually contributing and while he is grouped in the core 4 he makes $7 mil not $11 mil like the others . So the expectations of the higher paid players are greater then the support players.

Willy also scored both goals in game #6 including the game winner to push the series to game #7 and then scored the only goal in game #7 in a 2-1 OT loss.

Nylander game log 2024 playoffs.

1723739718215.png

Tavares "C", Matthews "A" and Marner "A" all wearing letters as LEADERS, but Willy doesn't have one but let his goal scoring on the ice show his leadership.

I would not be surprised if Nylander got a letter to further motivate him considering he committed for the next 8 years to Leafs and his salary certainly suggests he needs to be leader statistically anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad