Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This.
You don’t pull a letter from the teams most popular player. The letters will remain with the same players, Tavares will just go back to an A.

Nylander is too immature and selfish to be given a letter.
Lol, alright the doors are off. It's open season now so we can trash Marner all we like without recourse if this is how you're gonna talk about Nylander :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why all the hoopla, it appears they didn't get far enough to test his value or ask him directly:

The Leafs postured that they were going to move Marner. Tre said "Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing, if there's a way to make our team better we're going to do it". Rumors started to spill about other teams engaging.

Then Ferris broadcasted very publicly that Marner was not going to waive his NMC. Leafs declined the fight.

So they wanted to move him, or at least see if they could, and Marners camp proactively told everybody "No".
What did Ferris say?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner and his camp know the only place he gets his ridiculous ask is from the Leafs by repeating what Willie did last year. I'm hoping Leafs tell his camp that there won't be any offers until after we see how he plays in the playoffs.

Same for Tavares unless his camp tells the Leafs he is willing to give the Leafs a huge discount.
If there was ever a time to have Marner drive the 2nd line, Marner can always turn up big in the regular season.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Mitch finally snaps and goes super Saiyan puts up 100 points and gets another Selke nomination that's just something I'll have to suffer through 🤣
Fans can enjoy like WIllie's run last year. Unfortunately for Mitch, you do not pay the ferryman until he gets you to the other side.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lol, alright the doors are off. It's open season now so we can trash Marner all we like without recourse if this is how you're gonna talk about Nylander :laugh:
I find battling stupidity with stupidity to be effective considering the audience.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Nylander has never breathed a word of negativity to the media, nor made excuses for his play. He's a player with warts, but works hard and has steadily improved his game. He is no more selfish than the rest of our core, (Matthews and Marner are both considerably more selfish than we wish) and there is literally nothing, NOTHING, that indicates he is immature. He's not some golden boy, but he's absolutely a professional who is dedicated to his craft and quietly goes about his business. We all wish he was better defensively, but that doesn't make him selfish or immature. A winger being mediocre to bad defensively is not a moral failing.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agreed. And it's a terrible look if it's here
Johnny Hockey got paid but he got less than what he turned down from the Flames. There will always be a dumb GM (see Kyle trade for EK65) that will pay Marner. It just won't be what he thinks he is worth IMO.

Nylander has never breathed a word of negativity to the media, nor made excuses for his play. He's a player with warts, but works hard and has steadily improved his game. He is no more selfish than the rest of our core, (Matthews and Marner are both considerably more selfish than we wish) and there is literally nothing, NOTHING, that indicates he is immature. He's not some golden boy, but he's absolutely a professional who is dedicated to his craft and quietly goes about his business. We all wish he was better defensively, but that doesn't make him selfish or immature. A winger being mediocre to bad defensively is not a moral failing.
Willie won me over when he told Mitch to stop crying on the bench. He's still overpaid but he is most likeable of the 3. Can't say that was the case after he returned after his two month hiatus.

Reactions: LeafGrief

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

lol the only leaf with a moral failing is our new captain. He’s the only one who has done something publicly that was morally wrong.

Nylander hasn’t.

Even Marner hasn’t done anything wrong morally. People just don’t like how he went about his negotiations but there is nothing morally wrong with negotiating and winning those negotiations. That is not a moral failing. There is no moral obligation for an athlete to take less. That is just a hope and desire from fans and the organization. Marner isn’t the first and won’t be the last athlete in any sport to do so.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
lol the only leaf with a moral failing is our new captain. He’s the only one who has done something publicly that was morally wrong.

Nylander hasn’t.

Even Marner hasn’t done anything wrong morally. People just don’t like how he went about his negotiations but there is nothing morally wrong with negotiating and winning those negotiations. That is not a moral failing. There is no moral obligation for an athlete to take less. That is just a hope and desire from fans and the organization. Marner isn’t the first and won’t be the last athlete in any sport to do so.
I straight up do not give a hoot about Matthews showing his underpants to someone when he was drunk with his buddies. Stupid? Incredibly. Rude and alarming to the individual he "mooned"? Absolutely. Morally wrong? No way Jose, that doesn't move the morality needle.

I don't think Marner is being judged for any moral failings either.

Now, I did call them selfish in relation to their contracts, which Nylander is also guilty of. But I think that they're within their professional rights to be that sort of selfish, which is not a moral failing. Matthwes clearly wishes to retire as the highest paid player in NHL history, and Marner's self esteem is tied to his contract. Greed and avarice are moral failings, but I'm not going to judge these guys for the typical moral failures that everyone alive today has.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I straight up do not give a hoot about Matthews showing his underpants to someone when he was drunk with his buddies. Stupid? Incredibly. Rude and alarming to the individual he "mooned"? Absolutely. Morally wrong? No way Jose, that doesn't move the morality needle.

:clap::clap::clap:

Everyone gets drunk once in a while and wants to get in there and twerk that thang sire

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Additionally I was listening to Bogosians comments about Marner today. The guy is loved in that locker room. I was surprised that a guy like Bogosian had anything nice to say about Mitch. I’ve had my doubts, however every player that does interviews raves about him. I’ve watched a lot of interviews on player podcasts and guys are usually very honest about their experiences on those podcasts. But it does sound like Marner’s personality with the media is completely different than it is with the boys. Bogosian was basically going at it with Cam Janssen defending Marner. Bogosian was saying he doesn’t understand why Marner is the scapegoat.

So maybe your right, maybe getting Marner away from the media is the right thing.

In a small group he might be a great guy, and relaxed, in his environment.

On display it might be where he is uncomfortable. There have been cringe worthy moments in public, but one reason is he might care deeply and never learned from Spock. No not the doctor ...

As far as the playoffs drop-off, not everyone can be Draisaitl where his PPG is higher in the playoffs.

Give him an 'A' if it is necessary for his mental health.

Reactions: francis246 and bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
In a small group he might be a great guy, and relaxed, in his environment.

On display it might be where he is uncomfortable. There have been cringe worthy moments in public, but one reason is he might care deeply and never learned from Spock. No not the doctor ...

As far as the playoffs drop-off, not everyone can be Draisaitl where his PPG is higher in the playoffs.

Exactly.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
:clap::clap::clap:

Everyone gets drunk once in a while and wants to get in there and twerk that thang sire
We would probably be healthier if we didn't, but the truth is that everyone is a moral failure in some respects. Let him without sin cast the first stone. Substantial moral failings, such as crimes, might invite public scorn, but this particular incident has always felt like it was about having an issue with which to whip the individual, rather than an actual substantial moral failing.

If being involved in the captaincy is important for his mental health, trade him because that's not the quality you want in a leader. Being a leader is not about self-esteem, it's about the role that you play within your team. Good leadership is selfless, not selfish.

Give him the A because he fills that role on the team, and because wearing the A encourages him to be the best version of himself as a leader. If it's about his ego, that's poison to the entire team. Leaders can succeed with some ego, but leadership based on ego is doomed to failure.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If there was ever a time to have Marner drive the 2nd line, Marner can always turn up big in the regular season.

Should be Matty drives the 1st, Mitch drives the 2nd and JT centers the 3rd. If the players bitch, too damn bad , figure out a way to make it work.

Willie is more of a shooter, stick him on LW with Mitch at RW, can't remember if he shoots left or right but Euro wingers play their off wing all the time, I think the best Euro (Kuch) plays his off wing. Try to get AM easy match ups, partner him with Domi and now we have 3 solid lines. JT as your 3rd line center, pair him with McMann ( I think McMann has a legit 20 goals, year in year out, in him), with JT's faceoff abilities and net front presence, that would make the third line really strong,

Reactions: bax

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You and other Mitch sucking trolls can't have it both ways. Mitch is either untradable due to pathetic play and cap hit or he refused to wave.

Mitch is still heres should tell you he won't wave or can't fetch you 7th rounder on this contract. He also publicly stated he is not going anywhere.

Only you can hear Mitch talking about staying in Toronto for the remainder of his NMC protected contract and think no one asked him to wave.

yeah, I'm also spreading round earth lies around the interwebs :cool:
I don't think he's been asked to waive yet, because there is no point in asking until there is a potential deal that he might agree to waive for.

The problem is more likely that they haven't received an offer that meets the two main criteria:

1 - a return that the Leafs feel is acceptable
2 - a team that they feel he might be willing to go to.

For example, if the only offer they got was from Boston for a 2nd round pick, Marner might be willing to go there, but the team would want more. Or if they were offered two 1sts by Montreal, the team might like it, but probably know that Mitch would refuse. In either scenario, why bother asking him to waive?

Did you know that at one time the flat earth society website bragged that they had members all around the world?

Lmfao, are you dense or something? He was NOT ASKED TO WAIVE. What part of that are you not understanding?
I'm pretty sure that he hasn't been asked, for the reasons stated above, but do we actually know for a fact that he hasn't been asked?

OpenNetSniper

Mar 27, 2013
If having an 'A' means post game interview obligations and media responsibilities...then Marner should run far away. Having a camera and mic on him is a one way ticket to his own demise.

If he's such a leader/good teammate that everyone says he is, why should it matter? Do it in the room and behind the scenes, unless his ego can't handle it.

• Haha
Reactions: myleafs and thewave

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The overwhelming majority of his playoff points have been primary points. He actually has a higher primary point percentage than Nylander.
Which makes perfect sense - over the last five playoffs, Nylander leads the team in goals (and has a higher points %).

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

I especially admired when he tried to get in her car. Omg guys it's not that bad to try and get into a woman's car at night with your buddies and then try and hide it so you can still be named captain. Stop being negative guys. I hope to buy a Carter Hart and Dillon Dube jersey at Real Sports in the near future.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner is going to get paid, regardless of where it is or what he does this year.
The question is not 'will he get paid?' but 'how much?'

Will he get as much, or even close to as much, from another team as he would from Toronto?

I know you're sure he would, but I wonder if his camp is as confident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad