Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
He's had some good playoff performances and he has over 50 playoff points

He's capable of doing it
He really hasn't though. The overwhelming majority of his playoff points have been empty calorie secondary assists in blowout games that were pretty much already decided.

Have you seen his numbers in games 5 to 7? He's been borderline invisible.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
He really hasn't though. The overwhelming majority of his playoff points have been empty calorie secondary assists in blowout games that were pretty much already decided.

Have you seen our new captain and his playoff stats.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Marner will lose his “A” when his contract runs out and goes to free agency and signs with another team

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
To me this is a bellweather moment. If Mitchy is indeed on his way out of Toronto because the team doesn't want him they will tell him (indirectly) that your A belongs to Tavares, and Morgs or Willie gets the other one.

If they cater to his fee-fees, all bets are off.
Yeah, it will be very telling if marner doesn’t retain his “A” in some capacity. Shanahan is in his final year as well. If things don’t end well again, shanahan year end presser will be all about throwing marner under the bus. It’s why there is zero chance Toronto resigns Mitch during the season. Shanahan needs the “throwing Mitch under the bus” card at years end to try and save his own hide. Whether that works will be up to Pelly

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Marner barely clinging to a top 10 winger spot on NHL Network’s list of top wingers with Stu Grimson not even having him as a top 10 winger.

Strip him of the A now

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
How can you refuse to waive when you were clearly never asked? Making up stuff again eh?

You and other Mitch sucking trolls can't have it both ways. Mitch is either untradable due to pathetic play and cap hit or he refused to wave.

Mitch is still heres should tell you he won't wave or can't fetch you 7th rounder on this contract. He also publicly stated he is not going anywhere.

Only you can hear Mitch talking about staying in Toronto for the remainder of his NMC protected contract and think no one asked him to wave.

yeah, I'm also spreading round earth lies around the interwebs :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You and other Mitch sucking trolls can't have it both ways. Mitch is either untradable due to pathetic play and cap hit or he refused to wave.

Mitch is still heres should tell you he won't wave or can't fetch you 7th rounder on this contract. He also publicly stated he is not going anywhere.

Only you can hear Mitch talking about staying in Toronto for the remainder of his NMC protected contract and think no one asked him to wave.

Lmfao, are you dense or something? He was NOT ASKED TO WAIVE. What part of that are you not understanding?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Why so binary in thought? The hubris in this guy ...LOL .... orrrr ..drumroll for the people who believe in basing their opinions with facts ... HE WAS NEVER ASKED .... everything that his agent, Tree and Berube said indicated Mitch was coming back. Why is it so hard for you to admit that reality? A couple of gossip columnist in Toronto start spreading Mitch is getting traded rumors, so they can get clicks and you ate it up like a hungry little baby bird.... nom nom nom... them baseless empty calorie rumors are delicious ... nom nom nom ....

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

False, A majority of Marner’s playoff points is not secondary assists. He leads the team in primary assists for the playoffs.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The overwhelming majority of his playoff points have been empty calorie secondary assists
The overwhelming majority of his playoff points have been primary points. He actually has a higher primary point percentage than Nylander.

Reactions: bax

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
How do you know he was not asked to waive?

People close to the team reported it. CJ, Terry Koshans, Steve Simmonds all reported Marner was not asked to waive his NMC this summer. Of course that doesn’t mean that they didn’t shop him. But what we know for sure is that he was not asked to waive. So he didn’t block a deal. Maybe the value wasn’t there or the leafs just decided they wanted to keep him and fooled everyone. But we know for sure Marner not being traded isn’t because he blocked a deal. If that happened it would be front page news. The leafs would leak that instantly to get the public on their side. Common sense.

Reactions: ACC1224 and bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

I think Marner is overpaid. From what I’ve read here over the years most of his fans do as well. But do you truly believe if the Leafs said to any team that they can have Marner for one more year at his contract and all we want in return is a 7th that there would be no takers? Lol you don’t think this take is just a tad extreme 😂 it doesn’t matter what lack of playoff success he’s had. If a selke nominated, play all scenarios and nearly 100 point and multiple time all star winger was available for a 7th round pick teams would be doing whatever they could to make room for him. You know it’s true.

Reactions: francis246

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Eh, I'm ultra-critical of Marner's leadership but even I think he's going to keep that A. While he can't hack it in the playoffs, he's still one of our team's key leaders 82 games a year and a central figure in the dressing room. I think taking the C away from JT is the big step so that Matthews can now fill that role, I don't think they need to force Marner out of a position that the players likely see him in.

The big difference is that JT is a weak leader and it's critically important that your Captain be a strong leader (and there's many different successful leadership styles), Alternate captains are subordinate leaders and you have a lot more flexibility for strengths and weaknesses there. We needed to fire JT from the Captain's job, while we need Marner to embrace his job as a team leader. I'd argue that his playoff struggles are largely due to a focus on himself, rather than leading his teammates by example.

I still think we should trade Marner, but if he's here, he's deserving of the A. The goal is to either cut bait on the player or to rehabilitate him. Humiliation is not productive.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
No doubt that would be optimal but Marner is a hometown kid and they are always going to be after him for something quotable or to get clicks. Those infidels.
Unfortunately I agree. I’m a fan and I believe he can figure it out (maybe I’m naive lol we’ll see) but I have wondered for years how he’d be if he didn’t have to face the cameras on a daily basis.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
People close to the team reported it. CJ, Terry Koshans, Steve Simmonds all reported Marner was not asked to waive his NMC this summer. Of course that doesn’t mean that they didn’t shop him. But what we know for sure is that he was not asked to waive. So he didn’t block a deal. Maybe the value wasn’t there or the leafs just decided they wanted to keep him and fooled everyone. But we know for sure Marner not being traded isn’t because he blocked a deal. If that happened it would be front page news. The leafs would leak that instantly to get the public on their side. Common sense.
If Marner blocked a trade this board would have crashed lol

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I think Marner is overpaid. From what I’ve read here over the years most of his fans do as well. But do you truly believe if the Leafs said to any team that they can have Marner for one more year at his contract and all we want in return is a 7th that there would be no takers? Lol you don’t think this take is just a tad extreme 😂 it doesn’t matter what lack of playoff success he’s had. If a selke nominated, play all scenarios and nearly 100 point and multiple time all star winger was available for a 7th round pick teams would be doing whatever they could to make room for him. You know it’s true.

He's just Trollin', he's been getting more and more trolly with his takes to get a raise out of people... no one can be that daft ...

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Why all the hoopla, it appears they didn't get far enough to test his value or ask him directly:

The Leafs postured that they were going to move Marner. Tre said "Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing, if there's a way to make our team better we're going to do it". Rumors started to spill about other teams engaging.

Then Ferris broadcasted very publicly that Marner was not going to waive his NMC. Leafs declined the fight.

So they wanted to move him, or at least see if they could, and Marners camp proactively told everybody "No".

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why all the hoopla, it appears they didn't get far enough to test his value or ask him directly:

The Leafs postured that they were going to move Marner. Tre said "Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing, if there's a way to make our team better we're going to do it". Rumors started to spill about other teams engaging.

Then Ferris broadcasted very publicly that Marner was not going to waive his NMC. Leafs declined the fight.

So they wanted to move him, or at least see if they could, and Marners camp proactively told everybody "No".
Marner and his camp know the only place he gets his ridiculous ask is from the Leafs by repeating what Willie did last year. I'm hoping Leafs tell his camp that there won't be any offers until after we see how he plays in the playoffs.

Same for Tavares unless his camp tells the Leafs he is willing to give the Leafs a huge discount.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad