Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I do blame management, 100%.

I also blame Marner for not being what is needed and insisting on being paid like an elite player, which he has proven he is not

Marner is not the only problem, but he is a part of the problem, and all problems need to be moved on from, particularly one that wants $12m to do nothing in the playoffs.

It's a negotiation, Dubas having zero backbone and folding to all of Marner’s demands isn't his fault
The Leafs were allowed to say no at any time

Marner isn't the GM, he can't trade himself
That's on the team and obviously they were willing to accept the results

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It's a negotiation, Dubas having zero backbone and folding to all of Marner’s demands isn't his fault
The Leafs were allowed to say no at any time

Marner isn't the GM, he can't trade himself
That's on the team and obviously they were willing to accept the results
So you are on board with saying Marner is overpaid and considering his repeated failure to show up in the playoffs should disqualify himself from asking for a raise and should consider resigning for less with Toronto?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So you are on board with saying Marner is overpaid and considering his repeated failure to show up in the playoffs should disqualify himself from asking for a raise and should consider resigning for less with Toronto?

I always said I thought he was overpaid, but I blame that on our management team not the player

He's had some very strong playoff series, he isn’t the reason we aren't advancing

He can ask for whatever he wants, it's up to management to negotiate him down to something acceptable

Reactions: Metroid and ACC1224

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I always said I thought he was overpaid, but I blame that on our management team not the player

He's had some very strong playoff series, he isn’t the reason we aren't advancing

He can ask for whatever he wants, it's up to management to negotiate him down to something acceptable
You have now said this twice. What strong playoff performances are you referencing?

I can only think of the first playoff series against the Bruins at the beginning of his career. Otherwise Marner has been a complete nothing in the playoffs.

Agree that Dubas screwed the pooch on his contract, agreed that Marner isn’t the sole thing ailing this team, and Arya player can ask for whatever he wants.

My problem with Marner is his body of work doesn’t merit his pay, let alone a salary increase and every indication is Marner is going to insist on the maximum he can get, ignoring what he’s failed to deliver on.

Pay expectations based on earned merit I can get behind. Pay expectations based on what that other guy got, ignoring where that other guy delivered and Marner didn’t, I don’t have much patience for.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Mar 26, 2010
They won’t take it away from him, but I believe Willy deserves it more than him.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You don’t pull a letter from the teams most popular player. The letters will remain with the same players, Tavares will just go back to an A.

Nylander is too immature and selfish to be given a letter.
Lol... What exactly makes Nylander more immature than Marner? It's not like Nylander's the one dancing, singing, and making childish high-pitched noises in the dressing room. Plus, he handles criticism way better than Marner. This post is giving me flashbacks to when you were calling out Nylander for not playing physical—yet you're Marner's biggest fan. Talk about a double standard.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
After he's extended, he'll play an even bigger role. I don't foresee him losing an "A"
How can MM play a bigger role than he is now?

Like he plays with the highest paid player in the league on even strength and PP.
Plays on PK.

What role can MM possibly play that is bigger than what he is doing now?

Also, lets not kid ourselves, having a Letter on the chest or not won't make the player better or not choke in playoffs.
They are still the same players that won ONE playoffs round in the past 8 years. The difference is that two of them are getting paid more, while the other two might be their last year as Leafs.

Reactions: Racer88

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
He absolutely should.

But again Matthews getting the C was probably more to placate the fans wanting change than anything else (he hasn't earned it at all if you value the playoffs).

So with that said Marner won't be stripped because the same awful logic/leadership is still running Toronto.

Implementing extreme meritocracy at this point would require balls that the ownership and Shanabozo don't have. It looks like the Matthews move was that direction, but Matthews has 1 more goal in the last 11 playoff games than Mitch, so it isn't that (captaincy should be EARNED and not just a season thing). It's a fake pretend move that really doesn't do much.

Personally I think only Rielly should have a letter, then just play the season with him wearing the A and leave it at that. But again, we are run by soft cowards so you can't be mean to the overpaid forwards that don't show up in the playoffs every year. Nylander performs around his salary come playoff time, but he's not even close to McDrai level (even though he is paid in that range).

Reactions: LFKevin21

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They won’t take it away from him, but I believe Willy deserves it more than him.

I like Nylander more ... everyone has their bias ... everyone. Even judges who are not supposed to bring a bias recuse themselves because of it.

But if you were to ask me who acts more mature on the ice and off the ice ... is there any debate?

If I said Leafs and spoiled little boy who would immediately think Robertson?

I'd give Nylander the A, or at least share it with him. Committed, for likely the rest of his career, to the team.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Nowhere else to go now after so many double downs?

He is closer to least popular. What makes him popular exactly? His playoff performance? Crying on the bench? Or the way he presents himself in media interviews? Add his refusal to wave and we have the most popular anchor ever :DD:sarcasm:

Nylander @6M selfish Mitch @11M market? ROFL Nylander scoring = selfish, Mitch crying= mature?
When did he refuse to wave?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
C Matty
A Tanev
A Rielly
A OEL maybe
A JT maybe

Neither Mitch or Willy will get an A .. neither drives team .. time to let each guy know they dont drive da bus

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Jesus, what's wrong with you people?

Marner has been a productive, hard working Leaf who has given us over half a decade of all star caliber play

It's not his fault our GM was a moron who overpaid him and gave him everything he wanted contractually, that's on management not the player

Not changing the team composition is on management as well, they had plenty of opportunity to make changes but didn't, that's on them not the player

Marner is still a Leaf and as such we should all hope he kills it next season and I'd have zero problems with him keeping the A, he hasn't done anything to have it stripped off him
Believe me dude. Even the haters want him to kill it. But let's be realistic here. He won't. Especially come playoff time. We have 8 years of data to go by to come to this conclusion.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Don't know if they would do it but it makes some sense. Him and JT out, and Mo and someone else in. I don't think it would affect his game but it might make another player elevate theirs. I fully expect him to be resigned but with only a single year commitment right now, does it make much sense to reaffirm the letter?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What are the contracts for?
Regular season point totals drive contracts in todays pro hockey game .. also for D who drive and control game play .. it is all a part of da new CAP and CBA system .. does not mean they are best players .. Mitch is not even top 10 on his own team in speed races goal line to goal line .. but then again he never was fast even as a kid my kid just blew by him in straight line puck races in practice

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Feels like the A on Marner’s jersey is more for his benefit than because he leads the troops.
Describe the feeling. Is it a tingle or something else? I never considered using a feeling to judge it. Only what players have said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad