Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This.
You don’t pull a letter from the teams most popular player. The letters will remain with the same players, Tavares will just go back to an A.

Nylander is too immature and selfish to be given a letter.
This mentality is exactly what's wrong with this organization. We have zero accountability, and apparently popularity is what really counts. And if we're going talk about immature players, Marner's at the top of the list.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
This.
You don’t pull a letter from the teams most popular player. The letters will remain with the same players, Tavares will just go back to an A.

Nylander is too immature and selfish to be given a letter.

Nowhere else to go now after so many double downs?

He is closer to least popular. What makes him popular exactly? His playoff performance? Crying on the bench? Or the way he presents himself in media interviews? Add his refusal to wave and we have the most popular anchor ever :DD:sarcasm:

Nylander @6M selfish Mitch @11M market? ROFL Nylander scoring = selfish, Mitch crying= mature?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
In a contract year, when you want to convince a 100 point guy to stay, they way you go about doing that is to NOT rip the A off his sweater. JT is probably gone in a year, why create unnecessary noise by doing that, the A means nothing in winning or losing games but it means something to the player.

If you are going scorched earth, I think Tanev and OEL have both worn letters in the past, why not take an honest look at your team and give the letters to the players that represent what you want your team to be?

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Nowhere else to go now after so many double downs?

He is closer to least popular. What makes him popular exactly? His playoff performance? Crying on the bench? Or the way he presents himself in media interviews? Add his refusal to wave and we have the most popular anchor ever :DD:sarcasm:

How can you refuse to waive when you were clearly never asked? Making up stuff again eh?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's a great question and another opportunity to changes this up a bit.

Having said this,

Matthews - C
Rielly - A
Tavares - A

Marner not having a letter is another way to make him start earning what he gets here. I could see a season where Marner doesn't have a letter, a new contract, or Matthews on his line. Let's see what he does with this. Maybe it is the kick in the pants he needs?

I don't see Tavares not having a full-time A on his jersey, so it is easy to explain to Marner and the fanbase. Everyone can save face a bit. I also think Tavares is a fine A for this season, he is playing to prove something too.

Next year, if it didn't work out we can look at Tanev or Nylander taking that A.

Reactions: Eric bungay

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
This mentality is exactly what's wrong with this organization. We have zero accountability, and apparently popularity is what really counts. And if we're going talk about immature players, Marner's at the top of the list.
That poster is a troll. We all know that. Hopefully everyone puts him in ignore so he can argue with himself.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
It would probably be better if he lost the A and just went about his way. Would make him seem less high maintenance with less time in front of the cameras.

Most likely JT takes Mattys spots and rotates with Mitch, or they have three A's if allowed. Everything with Mitch always feels awkward and forced...

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
In a contract year, when you want to convince a 100 point guy to stay, they way you go about doing that is to NOT rip the A off his sweater. JT is probably gone in a year, why create unnecessary noise by doing that, the A means nothing in winning or losing games but it means something to the player.

If you are going scorched earth, I think Tanev and OEL have both worn letters in the past, why not take an honest look at your team and give the letters to the players that represent what you want your team to be?

Leafs can't get rid of him, no one is trying to convince homeboy to stay. Also he never reached 100 points and that's with the benefit of the best goal scorer in the league on his line.

Mitch is 70 point winger on D sounded team if tasked to carry his own line. And I'm being generous.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Curious to see if the C switch comes with a JT extension.
I’m pretty sure this issue wasn’t addressed last year, to distance Mayty’s $ demands from the perceived bump in leadership.
These letters are mostly optics anyway. Not sure what MM has done to usurp the leadership mantle.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I will bet you a toonie they do.......:sarcasm:
I guess I read the new threads in the wrong order! :laugh: "The cheque is in the mail."

I do think that it's more likely he gave it up, either at his suggestion or theirs, rather than them 'taking' it from him. We may never know, but it looks like that's the party line anyway.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: The Iceman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Matthews C
Rielly A
Tavares A

It was split between Matthews and Marner before depending on the game location. Would Tavares do that or is this another change to leadership group?

I could see that or

Matthews - C
Rielly / Tanev - A
Tavares / marner / Nylander

In Calgary

1723561601358.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
"You get an A, you get an A, you get an A, everybody gets an A"!

-Oprah-
:laugh:

I obviously meant that in the sense of Marner being significantly younger than Tavares (even though both have the same amount of time left on their contracts).

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
They could alternate the alternates. Teams have done it before.

Tavares and Nylander for home games, Rielly and Marner for away. Something like that.

Chicago did it before Toews became the captain, picking new alternates every month. Buffalo did it with co-captains Briere and Drury.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Doubt it. His ego has taken quite the hit already this offseason and I doubt the organization will want to ruffle his feathers any more. He’s not known to control his emotions well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With the official press conference scheduled to take place tomorrow morning to announce Matthews as the 26th captain in Toronto Maple Leafs franchise history, I'll be eager to see if they also announce who will be wearing an "A" under new head coach Craig Berube.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad