Does Marner lose his 'A' with the leadership changes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 53.8%

• Total voters

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They'll probably rotate the "A"s to continue the theme of not ruffling feathers.
The A really doesn't mean anything either way.

Took until 2016-2017 for LA to give Doughty an A, in which case the team was already out of playoff contention and the core being broken apart.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
the least resistable/controversial way is to just have either tavares/marner alternate the "a" captain

you'd just swap matthews's and tavares's role.

I'd still like to give an 'A' to a guy who gives it his all in rielly or even a McCabe tbh, dude puts alot on the line and doesn't take nights off, but keeping it the current way is the easiest and obvious path

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
With Tavares confirmed to wear 1 of the As ,and Marner+Rielly also in attendance I suspect either those 2 will rotate the other A, or all 3 rotate evenly.

Rielly will go letterless in some games for the first time since 2016-17 when he was 1 of 4 rotating As along with Bozak, Hunwick and Komarov. If the As rotate evenly Tavares will go letterless in some games for the first time since 2011-12 when he was a rotating A on the Islanders. Just to seemingly appease Marner and not strip him of a letter that he never deserved on his sweater in the first place.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Feels like the A on Marner’s jersey is more for his benefit than because he leads the troops.
Marner: Kyle, its Mitch, im willing to take a discount and lower my asking price from 11.5 million over 5 years and accept 10.893...you know the 93 is important because I want to be associated with Gilmour by fans...because hes beloved. Anyways, however, i want to wear a letter. If not.. im going to look at these huge offersheets that my agent has informed me of... that until now ive refused to even find out what was offered.

Yes or no? Let me know soon because Red Bull how offered me money to read a thank you letter to the fans that Id like to cash in on.

Dubas: Of course Mitchy! I promised Nylander as part of his deal that I wouldnt trade him while im the gm...and certainly I can and I will guarantee you a letter!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Marner with an A next year is a joke.

In no particular order after Rielly:

Rielly
McCabe
Tanev
OEL

Nylander

Marner is so down on the list it’s not even funny.
I would agree that he should be further down the list but realistically he'll probably still have an A, unless of course they are pretty confident he'll either be traded or walk next summer.

I agree with you on McCabe, though. I'd be happy with JT, Rielly, and him.

Reactions: LeafSteel

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I hardly think him losing his a makes a difference. More detrimental. You play up what a leader he his to get better trade offers. He may not win you anything but he is natural leader.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I honestly think Marner not having a letter would be best for him. Let him just play his game without any of the added media responsibilities. It’s not going to be for everyone and clearly he doesn’t seem to do well with it.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
With Tre confirming that John gets an 'A' next season, my assumption is that Mo and Marner will alternate as assistants throughout the season
I would not assume Marner is getting a letter.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Believe me dude. Even the haters want him to kill it. But let's be realistic here. He won't. Especially come playoff time. We have 8 years of data to go by to come to this conclusion.
He's had some good playoff performances and he has over 50 playoff points

He's capable of doing it

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I honestly think Marner not having a letter would be best for him. Let him just play his game without any of the added media responsibilities. It’s not going to be for everyone and clearly he doesn’t seem to do well with it.
I’m sure he’ll still get his daily media requests. Today someone from the media asked him about his contract status smh.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
To me this is a bellweather moment. If Mitchy is indeed on his way out of Toronto because the team doesn't want him they will tell him (indirectly) that your A belongs to Tavares, and Morgs or Willie gets the other one.

If they cater to his fee-fees, all bets are off.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’m sure he’ll still get his daily media requests. Today someone from the media asked him about his contract status smh.
I do agree with that person though, it’s best to try and limit his media statements

I don’t really care what he says, as I care more about his play than his mouth, but the media and others do care and make sure the world and maybe he knows it.

Just let him do his on-ice stuff and keep any and all distractions away

The bad side of this is people will say he is “scared” of the media, so there isn’t a winning scenario tbh

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The A seems irrelevant can change day by day house by house
Oprah You Get A.png

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I do agree and I also don’t think they’ll take it away from either.

It’s gonna be a major talking point from here on out. Wish they’d just get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Additionally I was listening to Bogosians comments about Marner today. The guy is loved in that locker room. I was surprised that a guy like Bogosian had anything nice to say about Mitch. I’ve had my doubts, however every player that does interviews raves about him. I’ve watched a lot of interviews on player podcasts and guys are usually very honest about their experiences on those podcasts. But it does sound like Marner’s personality with the media is completely different than it is with the boys. Bogosian was basically going at it with Cam Janssen defending Marner. Bogosian was saying he doesn’t understand why Marner is the scapegoat.

So maybe your right, maybe getting Marner away from the media is the right thing.

Reactions: bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Additionally I was listening to Bogosians comments about Marner today. The guy is loved in that locker room. I was surprised that a guy like Bogosian had anything nice to say about Mitch. I’ve had my doubts, however every player that does interviews raves about him. I’ve watched a lot of interviews on player podcasts and guys are usually very honest about their experiences on those podcasts. But it does sound like Marner’s personality with the media is completely different than it is with the boys. Bogosian was basically going at it with Cam Janssen defending Marner. Bogosian was saying he doesn’t understand why Marner is the scapegoat.

So maybe you’re right, maybe getting Marner away from the media is the right thing.
Yeah agreed completely. Just stop talking to the press lol he does himself no favours in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad