Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Look back at my post history and I was saying Woll was the best goalie we had since he played in the season. However...you play him in the playoffs and he loses in the first round and you may never get a job in the NHL again. The only way he was getting a chance was in relief and he got it. The problem wasn't goalies this post season, it was coaching and spending too much on the core.
You already shouldn't have an NHL job when you come in with Mrazek and Murray at their cap hits as legit options. You could get Murray level goaltending from Kallgren for $4m less. That's a major problem

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I imagine every Leafs fan having logic like this. Every year - blame something new.

(apologies to those w/ emotionless logic brains btw)

The trouble truly lies in Matthews’ and Marners’ RFA contracts. It’s been discussed so many time our ears are bleeding. Do I think it’s fair to fire Dubas? Yes. He signed this core to these contracts…and what has he delivered? Nothing.

Let somebody else have a crack. Can it get worse? Yes. But has Dubas accomplished anything? No. (imo)
Dubas and Keefe have accomplished less than nothing. A roster of journeymen and a core overpaid neverachievers and a coach who 7 years before getting his NHL gig was a junior A coach.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He had cost controlled Freddy left over for free, whose hugging his Jennings trophy cruising into the ECF with a 935.

Poor Freddy got ran out of town by mgmt after playing 60 game seasons posting solid numbers behind a defense purposely built for a rebuild, all for moneyball statsheet bargain Campbell. And then Murray.
Poor Freddy? he's as much of an enigma as Murray and Carolina started him as backup this playoffs. He was letting in softies in the playoffs for the leafs as well.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Dubas overpaid the core, initially sold,the idea grit wasn’t needed on his skill skill skill philosoph, backpedaled and got the wrong type of grit in past their best before dates or useless in Thornton, Clifford, simmonds and ZAR, signed mrazek who had inconsistency and injury problems, then followed it up with trading for a more inconsistent injury prone goalie in Murray at an even higher caphit, traded a 1st for an injured foligno, traded kadri for butter soft Barrie and kerfoot, signed jarnkrok to a multi year deal who did nothing, oh and hired his buddy keefe who is the only coach he has ever hired as a gm, then after embarrassing losses to Columbus, Montreal and Tampa, he rewards keefe with a 2 yr extension. This organization doesn’t know accountability, and just rewards failure.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'd keep Dubas. I think the team he assembled was good enough for more and I like what he did with the goaltending department, he drafts well (found a gem in Knies), and our defence is at a respectable level for the first time in the salary cap era (this was fixed even before this season).

My only caveat is he fires that buffoon of a coach that couldn't properly utilize the roster he was given. Keefe never settled on a lineup during the regular season and in the playoffs he got outcoached in both series, winning against Tampa by the grace of God and our best players showing up. Far too slow to make adjustments and had a blind love for certain players.

If Dubas won't fire Keefe then jettison both of them.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I why does everyone worry about what happens with the next organization?
Who cares. I’m concerned about what isn’t happening here.
Exactly, I’m so glad dubas was given the opportunity to learn on the job here in the most pivotal era of leafs hockey and squandered the assets and cap space. This reminds me playing NHL be a gm, where I overtrade and screw up my team, learned my ways and hit “new franchise” button and win a cup!

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Yeah... Well goalie depth wasn't bad this year. Might have been the best in Dubas years. I'll take all three we had this season over Campbell.

Murray was trash all year. Samsonov had a .898 in the playoffs, same as the worst runs that got Andersen and Campbell got run out of town. Woll was a .902 going into game 5 and bumped that up to .915 in a game where sadly he was the second best goalie (the same criticism that Andersen and Campbell got in playoff runs where they posted .930ish). It sure looks closer to the worst year than the best.

Reactions: JKG33

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Murray was trash all year. Samsonov had a .898 in the playoffs, same as the worst runs that got Andersen and Campbell got run out of town. Woll was a .902 going into game 5 and bumped that up to .915 in a game where sadly he was the second best goalie (the same criticism that Andersen and Campbell got in playoff runs where they posted .930ish). It sure looks closer to the worst year than the best.
Vasy was trash too... He cost what 10 mill ish? Bob would've been traded at the drop of a hat if anyone wanted him for free and also makes around 10 mil. The problem isn't goalie, it was coaching and cap spent entirely on forwards. And most of those forwards significantly overpaid for what they bring in playoffs.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Poor Freddy? he's as much of an enigma as Murray and Carolina started him as backup this playoffs. He was letting in softies in the playoffs for the leafs as well.
Fewer softies then our current tandem and no more than the typical top goalie during the playoffs. In retrospect, obviously not the problem - a warrior for years and then you watch the amazon series . . .

915 after 10 years on three teams. Coulda been even better.

These are the things you get with a circus in mgmt, and then the fan base gets confused.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Ao_b434HSb8cQetHPMomn6HKzrQ=.gif

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We shouldn't care if Dubas is successful with another team. It might sting a little if that happens, but the real question is if he can be successful in Toronto.

Double down on the GM that kept one of the worst coaches in Leafs history even after he failed against MTL. Ya I trust that guy to fix things now. It's such backwards logic.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I remember reading that when Carrer Verhaeghe was a UFA, Dave Morrison (who drafted him) went to Dubas and told him to sign him. Dubas talked to Verhaeghe but refused to pay his 1 million asking orice. He wanted Verhaeghe to sign for less for the chance to play with overpaid stars!

Didn't work.... Carter signed with Florida. Great job Dubie! Probably would have paid the 1 mill if Carter had played for the SOO.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I remember reading that when Carrer Verhaeghe was a UFA, Dave Morrison (who drafted him) went to Dubas and told him to sign him. Dubas talked to Verhaeghe but refused to pay his 1 million asking orice. He wanted Verhaeghe to sign for less for the chance to play with overpaid stars!

Didn't work.... Carter signed with Florida. Great job Dubie! Probably would have paid the 1 mill if Carter had played for the SOO.
Imagine this team with two playoff stallions like Verhaeghe and Marchment, even at their current cap hits. Subtract say roughly Kerfoot and Murray to fit them in. But nope, we can't have nice things.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018

He also didn't have room on the roster for Corey Perry (after being in SC Finals with Dallas) because he signed Simmonds.

Reactions: JKG33

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

Dubas has zero foresight

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Weird how that happens. ROR is aging but even on the busted Blues in the regular season he still looked like warrior in the games I saw.

Come here and the look is confusion and drifting to the background. Wonder what could be wrong.

I take ROR back next year with a fresh start if the deal reasonable no questions.
I think ROR is hurt during Game 4 against TB. Think that’s the game where he won like 1 or 2 faceoffs. Ever since that game, he just was not the same.
If ROR is reasonable, I hope he comes back bc he is someone who can really teach the young guys how to play properly.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I would want to hear what Dubas’s plan before showing him the door.
If he is sticking with everyone, then he is gone.

If he is planning to hire a new coach who will bring more discipline to the team, a better PP coach who is going to set up Willie and AM on both sides for a one timer, get a mental coach for MM, also looking for hockey trade for JT while also convince him to leave, I don’t see why Dubas needs to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad