Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is going to be interesting, If Dubas had made round 3 his extension in my opinion would be a lock, if he had lost in round 1 he'd be done no doubt about it.

But made round 2 and so we are in a strange spot.

I could see him getting fired.

I could also see him getting an extension because he won a round and that might be enough and also because by all accounts Matthews believes in Dubas and Matthews needs an extension.

Regardless though Keefe is gone he HAS to be, he consistently allows himself to be out coached.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I’ve criticized him in the past, this one isn’t on Dubas, this is on the team. I’d actually keep him, I think he’s finally starting to figure it out. His stars let him down, the pieces he added were mostly good.

But, he has to tell Shanny how he fundamentally changes this team, running it back isn’t an option.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’ve criticized him in the past, this one isn’t on Dubas, this is on the team. I’d actually keep him, I think he’s finally starting to figure it out. His stars let him down, the pieces he added were mostly good.

But, he has to tell Shanny how he fundamentally changes this team, running it back isn’t an option.

If Dubas stays he's running it back, and I will say that until he shows a willingness to even consider not running it back which he hasn't done at ANY point EVER.

And now that they made round 2 he can point to "progress" so running it back seems even more likely assuming Dubas stays.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If Dubas stays he's running it back, and I will say that until he shows a willingness to even consider not running it back which he hasn't done at ANY point EVER.

And now that they made round 2 he can point to "progress" so running it back seems even more likely assuming Dubas stays.
If he runs it back I don’t want him back, he has to make the case how he can change this team or bye. That was last year.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

The acquisitions of O'Reilly, McCabe, Schenn, Lafferty and Acciardi was his best trade deadline by far. But this is a long haul evaluation. Too little too late. The poor constitution of the upper part of this roster with its star players who only deliver regular season compete levels in the playoffs is a fatal flaw. The GM coddled the stars into being satisfied with being soft pros. The GM undermined the coach who attempted to harden up these young stars in favour of his inexperience bud. The GM had his chances and delivered a soft playoff team. And all while having these performative tantrums like a 6 year old in the press box.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he runs it back I don’t want him back, he has to make the case how he can change this team or bye. That was last year.

But how do you change this team?

Do you fire Keefe? I would

Do you try to package Samsonov to Winnipeg and try to bring in Hellebyuck if he's available? That would be a BIG change.

What else can you do? I can't see them blowing up a team that's put up 225 points combined over the last 2 years.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
But how do you change this team?

Do you fire Keefe? I would

Do you try to package Samsonov to Winnipeg and try to bring in Hellebyuck if he's available? That would be a BIG change.

What else can you do? I can't see them blowing up a team that's put up 225 points combined over the last 2 years.
Samsonov is UFA.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1683984655660.png

Will it be Kyle Dubas leading the Leafs through this offseason's decisions? Or will Toronto go another direction?

General manager Kyle Dubas is on an expiring contract. Deciding what to do about that will be team president Brendan Shanahan's first priority. Does Dubas want to come back after another deflating end to a season? Will Shanahan offer to extend Dubas? And if so, for how long? Dubas and Shanahan built this team together around a core that has repeatedly let them down when it matters most (i.e., in the playoffs). They'd have to be on the same page about how to fix that problem before committing to keep their managerial marriage alive.

If Dubas' future isn't in Toronto, then the search begins in earnest for who will replace him -- and that will open the door to even more change for the Leafs.

Mopar

May 3, 2021
Dubas can't remain the GM.

This organization needs a culture change. Shanahan, Dubas and Keefe need to go.

A new management team can come in and asses things and start to retool.

Dubas made some very good moves to improve this team but he made some critical mistakes that cost us numerous times, year after year.

The 'Core 4' contracts, Sheldon Keefe and his inability address the goaltending will ultimately be his downfall. We can analyze things much deeper than that but those three things are my bullet points if I'm calling him into the boardroom for discussion.

It's a results business. This management team's time is up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He gutted this team so he could pay the petit 4.

Shanahan lost his vision when Dubas was hired. Was that under pressure of the organization because Dubas was a snake oil salesman? I don't know for a fact. He rode it out and it was an abject failure which needs to have the book closed on.

Don't make us wait, Fire Dubas and Keefe and lets get on with life. (((Shanny too if Dubas was his)))

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Well Dubas went to war for Keefe. Keefe should have been fired after the Habs

You can do 100 things right in titanic, but if you get the wrong captain, does it really matter?

For all his good work, Dubas really fu-ed up with Keefe

Especially considering Cassidy, Gallant and few other coaches

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Shanahan lost his vision when Dubas was hired. Was that under pressure of the organization because Dubas was a snake oil salesman? I don't know for a fact. He rode it out and it was an abject failure which needs to have the book closed on.

Don't make us wait, Fire Dubas and Keefe and lets get on with life. (((Shanny too if Dubas was his)))
The dominos will fall once Leafs announce what they are doing with Dubas. It smells like Dubas goes to the Pens and maybe Treliving and Gallant/Laviolette come here.

Reactions: thewave

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
I would expect a decision to be coming within a week max 2. They have 10 ufas and more importantly Marner and Mathews full NMC coming into effect in 6 weeks.

Reactions: thewave

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

This organization focused too much on being this "disney on ice', consultant, NGO firm
Say nice things, look good instead of being good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad