Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
There is no reason to get rid of Dubas after what he has done this season to improve the team. He laid it all out there, this isn't on him, it's on the players.

Hate the Leafs, but gotta give this guy his credit.

What Dubas should do is trade one of your "core 4" or whatever they are calling them. If he doesn't and you get same result next year, then maybe dump him.

Out of the 4, I'd probably trade Nylander. Marner isn't going to get the return you guys want, trading mathews may be suicidal, and Tavares would probably retire a leaf. Nylander is odd man out. Would like to have him on the Wings, so if anyone has trade proposals with the Wings, would like to see where your heads are at. TOR can't really take roster players back with the cap (i am assuming)

Det:
Nylander

TOR:
BOS 2024 1st
Wallinder or Albert Johansson (A Prospects-defense)
I am assuming another pick
I know Detroit about as well as I know Toronto.

Absolutely not.

No to the trade and no to trading Nylander.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Has any NHL GM ever given up so much in terms of draft picks and prospects and gotten virtually nothing in return?

I'm sure someone will go back and tally everything Dubas has traded away in his tenure all for one single playoff series win. And that doesn't even count the tens of millions he gave out like Halloween candy to the young "stars" who refused to take a penny off their demands and in return delivered exactly, you guessed it, one series win.

It's a pretty damning indictment.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Here's the list of players with sub-50% xGF% in the playoffs, from worst to best (from naturalstattrick):

ZAR
Kampf
Giordano
Holl
ROR
Lafferty
Kerfoot
Acciari
McCabe
Liljegren

ROR had 9 points at least, while Jarnkrok was (along with Tavares) slightly over 50% but managed a whole three points.

Dubas sold anything that wasn't nailed down to remake the defense and bottom 6 for the playoffs and they almost all sucked. Schenn is basically the only one who overperformed. The rest were a big black hole of zero offense with ROR being the only exception, and even that took Vasilevskiy playing some of the worst hockey of his career.

Matthews & Marner are getting flak for ghosting in the second round but most of Dubas' acquisitions were useless all playoffs long. Maybe he made some decent late picks of Knies & co. but he gambled big on a collection of mostly underwhelming depth players and lost.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Out of the 16 playoff teams Leafs are 15th in CF% , 13th in FF%, 13th in SF%, 13th in GF%, 10th in xGF%, 15th in SCF%, 14th in HDGF% and 15th in HDSV%

And we're discussing re-signing the GM :laugh:

This feels like a /thread moment
Guess it was /thread. All the evidence was in plain sight this was gonna end badly

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Here's the list of players with sub-50% xGF% in the playoffs, from worst to best (from naturalstattrick):

ZAR
Kampf
Giordano
Holl
ROR
Lafferty
Kerfoot
Acciari
McCabe
Liljegren

ROR had 9 points at least, while Jarnkrok was (along with Tavares) slightly over 50% but managed a whole three points.

Dubas sold anything that wasn't nailed down to remake the defense and bottom 6 for the playoffs and they almost all sucked. Schenn is basically the only one who overperformed. The rest were a big black hole of zero offense with ROR being the only exception, and even that took Vasilevskiy playing some of the worst hockey of his career.

Matthews & Marner are getting flak for ghosting in the second round but most of Dubas' acquisitions were useless all playoffs long. Maybe he made some decent late picks of Knies & co. but he gambled big on a collection of mostly underwhelming depth players and lost.
RoR made me look stupid. I said addition of him guaranteed we steam roll the league.

What a slow and washed up player. The bargain on the cap hit was a sign something isn't right. Screw his points.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Guess it was /thread. All the evidence was in plain sight this was gonna end badly
Even better, the evidence was in plain sight the moment he was hired.

Handed the keys to an OHL team. A couple years as an AGM. And suddenly he's a prodigy???

I'll be honest, even I didn't think it'd go this badly. Although I thought he would've been shit canned by about year 3 at the latest

Reactions: LeafEgo

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Has any NHL GM ever given up so much in terms of draft picks and prospects and gotten virtually nothing in return?

I'm sure someone will go back and tally everything Dubas has traded away in his tenure all for one single playoff series win. And that doesn't even count the tens of millions he gave out like Halloween candy to the young "stars" who refused to take a penny off their demands and in return delivered exactly, you guessed it, one series win.

It's a pretty damning indictment.
What prospects did Dubas give up that were worth a damn? Sandin trade was something on its own to me. I can't see the O'Reilly trade being anything but worth it when it came with Accari as well. McCabe trade was alright for a decent Dman with some toughness. Lafferty was OK. Can't complain about the Schenn trade when he played much better than expected.

I'll take all those moves over Tampa throwing a stack of picks for player like Jeannot.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
These are Kyle Dubas goalie choices and additions since he became GM that he believed would carry the Leafs to playoff success.

Dubas Master Goaltending Plan since 2018
=============================
Garret Sparks
Michael Hutchinson
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Jack Campbell
David Rittich
Petr Mrazek
Erik Kallgren
Matt Murray
Ilya Samsonov

Yet there are actually Leaf fans that fear the loss of Dubas leaving, when others fear the retention even more. :wg:
To be fair he didn't have a lot of options. #1 goalies don't grow on trees and he did the best he could with the cap he had. He just put way too much money on the core and was extremely cocky and naive to bet it all on one of the greenest coaches probably ever to coach at the national hockey league level.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
To be fair he didn't have a lot of options. #1 goalies don't grow on trees and he did the best he could with the cap he had. He just put way too much money on the core and was extremely cocky and naive to bet it all on one of the greenest coaches probably ever to coach at the national hockey league level.
The cap he had??? You said it yourself he overpaid the core. And spending $4m+ on Mrazek and Murray in back to back offseasons is grounds for termination on its own. Seriously. You can't claim no cap space for a goalie when you spend that kind of money on duds

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
RoR made me look stupid. I said addition of him guaranteed we steam roll the league.

What a slow and washed up player. The bargain on the cap hit was a sign something isn't right. Screw his points.
Weird how that happens. ROR is aging but even on the busted Blues in the regular season he still looked like warrior in the games I saw.

Come here and the look is confusion and drifting to the background. Wonder what could be wrong.

I take ROR back next year with a fresh start if the deal reasonable no questions.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Don't get how this is Dubas fault but ppl will rage so have at it. 31 of 32 GMs will lose every year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Kyle Dubas got taken to the cleaners last time he tangled with Nylander, Matthews, and Marner's agents.

If I'm Brendan Shanahan -- I've gotta do my best to figure out if he's learned his lesson on that front...

But I also think Shanahan should be on the hot seat.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The cap he had??? You said it yourself he overpaid the core. And spending $4m+ on Mrazek and Murray in back to back offseasons is grounds for termination on its own. Seriously. You can't claim no cap space for a goalie when you spend that kind of money on duds

Yeah... Well goalie depth wasn't bad this year. Might have been the best in Dubas years. I'll take all three we had this season over Campbell.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Don't get how this is Dubas fault but ppl will rage so have at it. 31 of 32 GMs will lose every year.
Do you believe the GM is responsible for putting together the roster?

Yeah... Well goalie depth wasn't bad this year. Might have been the best in Dubas years. I'll take all three we had this season over Campbell.
Seriously? Murray is ass. Samsonsov wasnt any better than Andersen. Kallgren is ass. Dubas didn't want to give Woll a look until Kallgren was out.

Reactions: centipede2233

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado

I imagine every Leafs fan having logic like this. Every year - blame something new.

(apologies to those w/ emotionless logic brains btw)

The trouble truly lies in Matthews’ and Marners’ RFA contracts. It’s been discussed so many time our ears are bleeding. Do I think it’s fair to fire Dubas? Yes. He signed this core to these contracts…and what has he delivered? Nothing.

Let somebody else have a crack. Can it get worse? Yes. But has Dubas accomplished anything? No. (imo)

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Do you believe the GM is responsible for putting together the roster?

Seriously? Murray is ass. Samsonsov wasnt any better than Andersen. Kallgren is ass. Dubas didn't want to give Woll a look until Kallgren was out.
Look back at my post history and I was saying Woll was the best goalie we had since he played in the season. However...you play him in the playoffs and he loses in the first round and you may never get a job in the NHL again. The only way he was getting a chance was in relief and he got it. The problem wasn't goalies this post season, it was coaching and spending too much on the core.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
He had cost controlled Freddy left over for free, whose hugging his Jennings trophy cruising into the ECF with a 935.

Poor Freddy got ran out of town by mgmt after playing 60 game seasons posting solid numbers behind a defense purposely built for a rebuild, all for moneyball statsheet bargain Campbell. And then Murray.

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad