Does dubas remain GM if the leafs get bounced by Florida?

Does dubas remain Leaf’s GM if Toronto loses out in rd 2 ?

• Yes

Votes: 172 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 239 48.1%
  • Depends how the leafs lose in rd 2

Votes: 86 17.3%

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Dubas has already signed a deal was the conversation....and if he has I was just saying how awkward the presser would be especially if they bow out tonight and get swept......with Shanny saying Dubas has an extention....
I doubt they would have a press conference for that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I mean ....I am not sure why your dragging this out and nitpicking but you are totally missing the point of the statement.
was the statement not that the press conference would be awkward?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Leafs GM competency test. (the ability to do something successfully or efficiently).

Question: Should Leafs keep and extend Kyle Dubas?

Kyle Dubas choice of goalies to lead Leafs to 2023 Cup : Matt Murray, Ilya Samsonov and Erik Källgren.

Test: Season on the line.

Obvious choice go with Lou Lamoriello's self drafted prodigy Joseph Woll.

Conclusion: Results speak for themselves.
I was just thinking about this in relation to that thread on the main board giving way too much praise to Dubas' tandem of Murray & Samsonov after 20 games.

The season is about to end and the guy in net was the 4th string at the start of the year, and not a part of Dubas' master goaltending plan

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I have a suspicion that the extension is already done & dusted.
If so, the timing of said announcement is going to end up being a bit of a rough one. Probably don't want to announce it while the team is still playing (after the Round 1 win would have been a great time otherwise) and announcing it soon enough after the team potentially (and perhaps meekly?) bows out to Florida is...

For my part, I'm not 100% either way about a return for Dubas or being able to entirely rule that possibility out.

Reactions: myleafs

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Leafs GM competency test. (the ability to do something successfully or efficiently).

Question: Should Leafs keep and extend Kyle Dubas?

Kyle Dubas choice of goalies to lead Leafs to 2023 Cup : Matt Murray, Ilya Samsonov and Erik Källgren.

Test: Season on the line.

Obvious choice go with Lou Lamoriello's self drafted prodigy Joseph Woll.

Conclusion: Results speak for themselves.
This was some superb trolling. I laughed. Bravo, sir!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If so, the timing of said announcement is going to end up being a bit of a rough one. Probably don't want to announce it while the team is still playing (after the Round 1 win would have been a great time otherwise) and announcing it soon enough after the team potentially (and perhaps meekly?) bows out to Florida is...
If they lose to Florida they will delay the announcement as long as possible. Probably announce it around midnight like Kawai going to L.A was. Seriously, they fire him whether he has been extended already or not, if they lose to Florida.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If they lose to Florida they will delay the announcement as long as possible. Probably announce it around midnight like Kawai going to L.A was. Seriously, they fire him whether he has been extended already or not, if they lose to Florida.
I suppose the justification for letting him go could be in just having the lone series win after all of this time on the job? Conversely, it also might seem awkward to cut bait now after finally nabbing that elusive series win.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was just thinking about this in relation to that thread on the main board giving way too much praise to Dubas' tandem of Murray & Samsonov after 20 games.

The season is about to end and the guy in net was the 4th string at the start of the year, and not a part of Dubas' master goaltending plan
These are Kyle Dubas goalie choices and additions since he became GM that he believed would carry the Leafs to playoff success.

Dubas Master Goaltending Plan since 2018
=============================
Garret Sparks
Michael Hutchinson
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Jack Campbell
David Rittich
Petr Mrazek
Erik Kallgren
Matt Murray
Ilya Samsonov

Yet there are actually Leaf fans that fear the loss of Dubas leaving, when others fear the retention even more. :wg:

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
If they lose in the typical Leaf fashion tonight and Dubas and Keefe are let go, I can't see a new GM trading any of Matthews, Tavares or Marner. MLSE will probably do a "re-tool". Probably trade Nylander to make it appear they're making changes.

Bring it all back under a new coach is what I can see happening. Dominate the regular season, and then crap the bed in the playoffs.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I suppose the justification for letting him go could be in just having the lone series win after all of this time on the job? Conversely, it also might seem awkward to cut bait now after finally nabbing that elusive series win.
I think most people do not think much of the win over Tampa, especially after their performance in round #1. They were outplayed in 4+ of the 6 games and the game they won handily, Hedman and Cernak played a combined 17?? minutes. They have 1 regulation win in 9 playoff games.

If they lose in the typical Leaf fashion tonight and Dubas and Keefe are let go, I can't see a new GM trading any of Matthews, Tavares or Marner. MLSE will probably do a "re-tool". Probably trade Nylander to make it appear they're making changes.

Bring it all back under a new coach is what I can see happening. Dominate the regular season, crap the bed in the playoffs probably.
Who knows maybe a new coach can get the most out of these guys in the playoffs. I'd kick the tires on Gallant but have concerns as to why he was let go by the Rags.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I think most people do not think much of the win over Tampa, especially after their performance in round #1. They were outplayed in 4+ of the 6 games and the game they won handily, Hedman and Cernak played a combined 17?? minutes. They have 1 regulation win in 9 playoff games.

Who knows maybe a new coach can get the most out of these guys in the playoffs. I'd kick the tires on Gallant but have concern as to why he was let go by the Rags.

If the stars of this team can't put in effort, I don't know what coach can make them.

My 9 week old puppy can chase after pucks with more aggression and passion than these players.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Question:

Where has Dubas and Shanny been through all of this?

If TOR get swept I doubt they are going to be preparing "killer instinct" speeches.

Is there a level of disassociation from every level now?

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018

Bring it all back under a new coach is what I can see happening. Dominate the regular season, and then crap the bed in the playoffs.
If the right moves were made, someone could build a new team that has more success than the current team by trading any of the core. Problem is navigating through the minefield of potential wrong moves. Hopefully if a new GM is hired, they will be someone who competent to assess which moves to make, based on what's available/offered and not based on what the board thinks they should do...

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Who knows maybe a new coach can get the most out of these guys in the playoffs. I'd kick the tires on Gallant but have concerns as to why he was let go by the Rags.
The mixture of players they have hasn't worked. I'll be honest and say I was thrilled we got JT and thought he was the final piece.
A shame really

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019

I heard, not by any source per se, that he was reluctant to make any in-game tactical changes. Boy, does that sound familiar if so!

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Sure they would. Matty will never be a Mack but throw him on the Canes and he'd be running rails with the rest of them consistently potting goals in the post season. Although not sure how much damage has been done by now.

Anderson looking to cruise into the ECF with a .930+, not bad.
Ya man, anyone playing for Brind'amour would be giving 120%, dude is an awesome coach.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Honestly, I wasn't very sold on the Lafferty and McCabe one. Just didn't think McCabe should have been a guy we target considering his lack of PO experience. He's also over eager in pinching always which you cant do in the playoffs.

Could we see the Hunters come back and take over?

Mark as GM, Dale as HC?
Ugh

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
These are Kyle Dubas goalie choices and additions since he became GM that he believed would carry the Leafs to playoff success.

Dubas Master Goaltending Plan since 2018
=============================
Garret Sparks
Michael Hutchinson
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Jack Campbell
David Rittich
Petr Mrazek
Erik Kallgren
Matt Murray
Ilya Samsonov

Yet there are actually Leaf fans that fear the loss of Dubas leaving, when others fear the retention even more. :wg:
My God it looks even worse when you put in writing

If the leafs do lose tonight and the Leafs need a re-tool. I trust Dubas more in rebuilding the core than someone else.
What………….?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad