Confirmed with Link: Dmitri Samorukov traded to St. Louis for RW Klim Kostin

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Samu traded for a waivers fodder we could have just picked up... Pretty much traded for 25k of cap space

I guess blues could say the same

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I doubt that we gave up Samorukov for nothing. Kostin is around the same age, makes league minimum (this really helps our cap situation) and is big and can play physical. This is the player and role that we were hoping that Virtanen would fill. He will get a shot on our 4th line, I'm pretty sure of it.
This seems it. I've been asleep on Kostin. I watch the Blues when I can and I've hardly ever seen him in the lineup or getting any minutes.

He was sent down in March and this was his first season getting much of anything in STL. I doubt many Blues fans are even that much familiar with the player. They got 40 games and spot usage. last dozen games he was seeing only 8mins a night.

Clearly the player was expendable for the Blues but he seemingly didn't get a look there either.

Deserves to be said that big forwards can take longer to develop and this is a big boy. We need the physicality and if he takes any of the fighting load and it means Darnell not fighting theres that too. People can say fighting has disappeared but teams were taking liberties against us last season with no response.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Seeing as both foegele and samorukov were held out of the last 2 pre season games and we've seen Sammy traded, what's the chances we see foegele moved in the next 24 hours for cap
Chances are good I think. Jesse bought himself another chance here with that last game, so Foegele would make sense. Then they could go Ryan Shore Kostin for the 4th maybe?

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I know basically nothing about the player. Both the Oilers release and his NHL.com page show him as a centre. If he's indeed a centre it's probably not a bad trade I'm thinking. Does anyone know how. much C he's played in the NHL?
He has only taken 4 draws in his 46 regular season games so it seems he hasn't played much there. His skating looks a little awkward so probably a reason for that. I like him as a wing if he brings a heavy game and sticks up for his team mates when needed.

Reactions: Biltmore and ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This seems it. I've been asleep on Kostin. I watch the Blues when I can and I've hardly ever seen him in the lineup or getting any minutes.

He was sent down in March and this was his first season getting much of anything in STL. I doubt many Blues fans are even that much familiar with the player. They got 40 games and spot usage. last dozen games he was seeing only 8mins a night.

Clearly the player was expendable for the Blues but he seemingly didn't get a look there either.

Deserves to be said that big forwards can take longer to develop and this is a big boy. We need the physicality and if he takes any of the fighting load and it means Darnell not fighting theres that too. People can say fighting has disappeared but teams were taking liberties against us last season with no response.
Kostin has a better chance to play this year than Samorukov

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't get this trade. Kostin will never amount to anything, and Samorukov might still end up a bottom-pairing guy. What is the upside of this trade for us? Makes no sense.
Its a needs now trade. We're dialed in for this season, and not what Samu futures could be. Its evident Samu can't make the Oilers now, and frankly isn't close on the depth chart, he's not in topten.

We need some protection, we got rid of Kassian at high pay and got Kostin to perform some similar roles and who presently has better hands than Kass. Look at it from the standpoint of getting a hitter 4th line player that fights for league minimum on a club that was being seen as soft.

If Kostin prevents one injury this season from how our players are targeted he's worth it.

Holland is right to look at what the club needs now and its an energy player that hits. We thought we had it in Virtanen but he didn't bring that package. Blues have an excess of bang in the lineup and didn't need Kostins attributes But we need them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kostin has a better chance to play this year than Samorukov
No doubt. If he bangs here and is willing to dance and is even reasonable in ownzone play he'll get games. Nice price tag.

This is likely the value add. A young player that was first round just 5yrs ago that never got a chance in STL because of the makeup of that club. Blues specifically didn't require his foremost attributes. But other clubs do. This was probably a good pick up. Now that I've looked at some of the counting numbers and his spot use I can see that the player has some potential.

The gamble here is can the kid play in the league consistently. Holland bet that he can be of use. While Holland hasn't always been right on that it should be mentioned that Kostin is still a young player and prospect. usually we bring in DOB that are suspects by the time they get here in bottomsix.

This one is different. Age 23.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Its a needs now trade. We're dialed in for this season, and not what Samu futures could be. Its evident Samu can't make the Oilers now, and frankly isn't close on the depth chart, he's not in topten.

We need some protection, we got rid of Kassian at high pay and got Kostin to perform some similar roles and who presently has better hands than Kass. Look at it from the standpoint of getting a hitter 4th line player that fights for league minimum on a club that was being seen as soft.

If Kostin prevents one injury this season from how our players are targeted he's worth it.

Holland is right to look at what the club needs now and its an energy player that hits. We thought we had it in Virtanen but he didn't bring that package. Blues have an excess of bang in the lineup and didn't need Kostins attributes But we need them.

Great post, this 100%

And yeah, Blues have a ton of depth style forwards (their issues are not lack of forward depth), so them shedding a redundant player for a position of need makes a lot of sense for them too. This wasn’t them getting rid of garbage.

As good as the Oilers top 6 is now (and what looks to be a solid 3rd line), bottom 6 is still suspect, this helps. Oilers had too many depth D

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Seeing as both foegele and samorukov were held out of the last 2 pre season games and we've seen Sammy traded, what's the chances we see foegele moved in the next 24 hours for cap
I remember Big Bob saying about a month back there was possibility of us trading a player to another team in the pacific for a similar player on a smaller cap hit and few years remaining on his contract. He didn't give a lot of details but let your imagination be your guide.

If it is Foegele he was talking about I wonder if Comtois is the target?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
knowing Samo better and knowing that D take longer to develop and that he suffered some injuries along the way, From a prospect quality perspective I would have preferred to keep Samo. But from an organizational perspective and for individual development opportunities, this makes some sense. I love 2 way multidimensional D and Samo has some small chance still of being one at the NHL level, so I dont love it as a fan but maybe he will get a Better chance in STL

Reactions: Biltmore

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Some thoughts on Kostin:

Has all the tools to be a very good bottom 6 winger but has struggled to put it together consistently and has been passed by a couple guys on the Blues depth chart. He is a left shooting winger...KLIM KOSTIN IS NOT A CENTER.

Has good top end speed but not great agility. Gets his shot of quickly and can surprise goalies but not a sniper by any means. Hits a lot and can be physical on the forecheck but doesn't seem to cause a lot of turnovers leading to possesion in the ozone or protect the puck well enough. Will occasionally drop the gloves and when he does drop them Kostin is a very good fighter. His hockey IQ and consistent motor/drive have been questioned by many.

Kostin needed a change of scenery badly, hope he does well for you guys in Edmonton. I think he can be a decent bottom 6 wing option, but he is quickly running out of NHL chances.

All in all, seems like a good trade for both sides.
:cheers:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Great post, this 100%

And yeah, Blues have a ton of depth style forwards (their issues are not lack of forward depth), so them shedding a redundant player for a position of need makes a lot of sense for them too. This wasn’t them getting rid of garbage.

As good as the Oilers top 6 is now (and what looks to be a solid 3rd line), bottom 6 is still suspect, this helps. Oilers had too many depth D
Thanks. I think people often fail to see what respective team lineups and attributes are. A perhaps odd thing that happens in pro sports is teams start drafting for propensity. So that a tough Blues club liked tough players that can fit into that lineup and play that style. Other clubs might draft more exclusively for speed/skills. Blues had redundancy in what Kostins brought to that lineup. Its much different here. He can fill more of a role here.

Anybody that was complaining about the Kassian contract (near everybody) should be liking this addition and contract at league minimum. This is a physical forward that had brought that packaged to STL and he's skilled enough that he was 2017 first round pick. Its possible that both teams benefit.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Some thoughts on Kostin:

Has all the tools to be a very good bottom 6 winger but has struggled to put it together consistently and has been passed by a couple guys on the Blues depth chart. He is a left shooting winger...KLIM KOSTIN IS NOT A CENTER.

Has good top end speed but not great agility. Gets his shot of quickly and can surprise goalies but not a sniper by any means. Hits a lot and can be physical on the forecheck but doesn't seem to cause a lot of turnovers leading to possesion in the ozone or protect the puck well enough. Will occasionally drop the gloves and when he does drop them Kostin is a very good fighter. His hockey IQ and consistent motor/drive have been questioned by many.

Kostin needed a change of scenery badly, hope he does well for you guys in Edmonton. I think he can be a decent bottom 6 wing option, but he is quickly running out of NHL chances.

All in all, seems like a good trade for both sides.
:cheers:
Did he get any PK time at all for you guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad