Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
AA is elite at scouting and identifying talent, decent at trades, and terrible otherwise, especially FA's.

AA is "elite at scouting"

Really?

What players that he's drafted are currently impact players in the league?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
AA has the power to veto any ridiculous idea seeing he's essentially the boss.
The guy seems like he'd be much better suited as a assistant GM. Ever since he's been in charge this team has been dysfunctional and underperforming. Like many successfull people will tell you, great operations always start at the top and it looks like AA cant get the job done.

A good GM isn't afraid to hire somebody smarter than him because most likely that good GM will become great.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well it's hard to assess his scouting because he typically drafts high school talents. Considering he's worked in four drafts, his earliest picks are roughly 22 years of age. Despite that, we've seen a number of his picks elected as top 100 prospects throughout recent years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
:facepalm:

In other news Boyd just tripled his minor league run output on the season in his first inning as a NH pitcher.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
AA is "elite at scouting"

Really?

What players that he's drafted are currently impact players in the league?

Pro scouting, not amateur scouting. Plus, you can't deny that a lot of the toolsy picks have talent. The problem is putting it together.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Well it's hard to assess his scouting because he typically drafts high school talents. Considering he's worked in four drafts, his earliest picks are roughly 22 years of age. Despite that, we've seen a number of his picks elected as top 100 prospects throughout recent years.

Fair enough but its way premature to say hes "elite at scouting".

Just because your ranked as a top 100 prospect doesnt mean jack. More then half of top 100 prospects never even come close to above average ML players.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Pro scouting, not amateur scouting. Plus, you can't deny that a lot of the toolsy picks have talent. The problem is putting it together.

Just drafting a bunch of toolsy prospects doesnt mean your good at amateur scouting.

Until some of these kids actually pan out its very premature to make really any concrete statements about his drafting skills.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
AA has the power to veto any ridiculous idea seeing he's essentially the boss.
The guy seems like he'd be much better suited as a assistant GM. Ever since he's been in charge this team has been dysfunctional and underperforming. Like many successfull people will tell you, great operations always start at the top and it looks like AA cant get the job done.

Agreed, kind of shocked to see so many here seemingly surprised by their futility. When AA sat on his chubby ass all offseason eating cheetos watching division rivals improving while he did nothing, it was pretty easy to tell we'd be bottom-feeding before long and the meaningless September baseball continues...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
but it's true. If the only option was failure then you can complain about it all you want, no matter what they chose to do they would have failed.

Keep him, he walks we get nothing, fail

Trade him for less, we fail

Trade him for what we did, they bust, we failed.

We were doomed to fail from the start.

Analogies tend to not relate to the thing you're comparing them too, it's kind of the definition of an analogy

Still a failure. Gose might turn into a good player but if he doesn't it's a failure.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
That's how prospects work. You aren't guaranteed anything. D'Arnaud who still has a chance to be good"unfortunately not with us" was part of a huge trade for us. Gose who was acquired with a prospect from the Halladay trade is the best of the three involved in that. It's not AA's fault that Gose regressed for whatever reason. Gose should be to us what Hamilton is to the Reds. Drabek has had serious injuries and you can't fault AA for that. He comes from a hell of a pedigree and his ceiling was higher than his fathers I believe. That is a hell of a return for a player in the last year of his contract that has indicated he was leaving once his contract was up and would only accept a trade to one team.

Agreed with what you said. I am not blaming anyone, just said the Halladay trade turned out poorly for the Jays.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't understand how this benefits at all.

I think it's because we don't have an off day for a long run and they want to stretch out the starts for Dustin and Morrow I believe. Either way it's an awful idea.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's like what the rockies did with their staff. I think there were a couple seasons where they didn't even have a guy exceed 175 innings.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I find it very humorous that these players always make excuses for their lack lustre play and wins. They claim there better than their record shows. Well there not!

Why don't these prima donnas become accountable .

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Why not just piggyback Mcgowan/Happ? Why must they set aside a day for each to start. Makes so little sense.

They need more innings out of starters so the BP isn't as tired... I guess Gibbons thinks that one day of rest will let Morrow and McGowan pitch past the sixth inning. Instead of realizing that Nolin and Stroman should be starting instead of them.

I question many decisions Gibbons makes. This just adds to the list.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Melky available to pinch hit and will probably play tomorrow in the outfield.

Thank baby jesus.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This is typically the type of pitcher the Jays smash.
Guy who relies heavily on a mediocre fastball. Jays should put up 5-6 runs on him.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

I don't even think you can say AA is good at pro scouting.

Some of his best trades have been no brainers... Lawrie for Marcum, Rasmus deal, Marlins swap. Anybody with half a brain would have made the first two moves because Lawrie and Rasmus were highly touted prospects who needed a scenery change. The Marlins deal involved high profile names that you don't need to "scout", even still we only have 2/4 players on the team now.

Then you look at the dud trades, Gomes for Rogers, Napoli for Francisco... These were crippling.

AA hasn't really got much to hang his hat on. He's done an average job, nothing more or less.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Brendan Kennedy ‏@BKennedyStar 5m
J.A. Happ will start Monday in Philly as #bluejays turn to 6-man rotation. "We'll see where that takes us," Gibby said.

I can't believe this is actually happening.

They're not even trying to even pretend they're going to contend this year.

Getz is starting at 2B? A six-man rotation?

It's unreal. They're entire strategy for this season seems to be: "let's do whatever comes to our heads and hope it works out for the best and we win."

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think it's because we don't have an off day for a long run and they want to stretch out the starts for Dustin and Morrow I believe. Either way it's an awful idea.

If those two are not capable of handing a month long stretch of pitching every fifth day (which, last time I check, is the exact job description of a major league starter - take the hill every frigging 5th day) - then they don't belong in a major league rotation and need to be replaced.

Going to a six-man rotation is just idiocy. It reduces the number of times your best starters actually pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad