TSN: Dion almost signed? Mod warning post #277

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
He has horrible luck then!

Failure just follows him around. Poor Dion
Again, he's not a bad hockey player. Just not a guy I want being the captain and inking a deal at 7 for 7.

I'll take my chances in a trade

Weber has horrible luck then!

Failure just follows him around, poor Shea.
Again, he's not a bad hockey player. Just not a guy I think should be the captain or inking him to a 8x13 deal.

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008
Dmen like Dion are as hard to find as #1 C`s, once you have one you don`t let him go just cause some fans think you should.

Exactly.

It's been a decade since we had a #1C, and we're no closer to having one than we were the day Sundin left. No one can deny that this is a huge hole in our lineup, one that's crippling the team.

People get on Dion because he's a notch below Weber, Chara, Doughty, Pietrangelo etc. Well, compare Sundin to his contemporaries; he wasn't even close to being the player Mario was, and was a notch below Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, etc. That doesn't mean he wasn't a hell of a hockey player and a huge asset for this franchise.

The hardest things to find today are a #1C and a #1D. Getting rid of Phaneuf will leave this team with not one, but two gaping holes that can't be filled. It would be beyond stupid!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Exactly.

It's been a decade since we had a #1C, and we're no closer to having one than we were the day Sundin left. No one can deny that this is a huge hole in our lineup, one that's crippling the team.

People get on Dion because he's a notch below Weber, Chara, Doughty, Pietrangelo etc. Well, compare Sundin to his contemporaries; he wasn't even close to being the player Mario was, and was a notch below Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, etc. That doesn't mean he wasn't a hell of a hockey player and a huge asset for this franchise.

The hardest things to find today are a #1C and a #1D. Getting rid of Phaneuf will leave this team with not one, but two gaping holes that can't be filled. It would be beyond stupid!

I think one issue is ,that Dion wants to be paid a notch above or even level with those names.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I am not opposed to Dion being signed either, I just don't think he's worth 7 million.. Is he? He got that big contract in Calgary where he was the highest scoring defenseman in the league I believe (goal wise).

But his goal numbers have not been close for a while now and he still makes rookie mistakes and doesn't seem to have the drive or compete level other top end players have. I personally don't think he's worth 7 million and tbh would rather trade him then sigh him to that kind of money.

But it does leave a big hole and I don't think Gardiner is the answer either. That being said he will be resigned and it will likely be 7 - 7+ million over the next 6 years +. So I doubt it really matters if we want him or don't want him in Toronto at that cap hit.

He doesn't have the drive? Are you freaking kidding me?! So what, do you think he just casually shuts-down top lines?

Mar 26, 2010
Dmen like Dion are as hard to find as #1 C`s, once you have one you don`t let him go just cause some fans think you should.

Dion is NOT a #1 D. He is not worth $7M. Comparing him to the value of a #1 C is no even close.

He should not be paid more than $4M or less.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Dion is NOT a #1 D. He is not worth $7M. Comparing him to the value of a #1 C is no even close.

LOL, Dion is as close as we're gonna get to a #1D in a long long time. Rielly will be a good #2 someday, Gards is a #3/4 on a great team. He's definitely not a top 5 or even a top 10 all around d-man but he's in the top 15 in the league. No player is worth 5+ mil. Very very few players (superstars like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos) are truly worth the money but its a business. Players are gonna get paid, specially good players.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Anyone else concerned with his offense?

I mean, he's tied for like 50th in Dmen points and has 0 powerplay goals (while getting significent PP time).

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Agreed, Dion should apologize for not being a god.

The point I'm trying to make is about the needing to build around him. Look at the team around him 06-09

You guys keep saying all we need to do is get him better centers and support on the blue line. He had all that in Calgary and they never made it out if the first round.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

I don't think you are serious about resigning him. He is worth around $5.5M on a 5 year, but his ego and more importantly Newport Sports will want in excess of $7M per on a long term. He is at best a #2 or 3 on a very good team. If we ever have visions of becoming a very good team, you do not sign him to #1 D money. Unfortunately (or not), the only way to realize value from Phaneuf is to trade him while you still can.

DaveT83*

Nonis just no NMC - he's got to be traded. But he's got to be signed first. Keep it reasonable - give yourself the flexibility to move him.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The point I'm trying to make is about the needing to build around him. Look at the team around him 06-09

You guys keep saying all we need to do is get him better centers and support on the blue line. He had all that in Calgary and they never made it out if the first round.

That's like blaming Kadri for us not being good now.

Iginla and the leadership core that forced Phaneuf to be moved is to blame for Calgary not winning.

Phaneuf was a developing youngster in that core, much like Kadri here currently.

You can blame Phaneuf for not winning here in his 3 full seasons, but doing so without looking into the fact the roster was under massive change since the moment he got here is simply unfair.

He's brought stability on the back end we have not seen in almost a decade.

Sadly the only appreciation he'll ever get here is after he leaves. For his own personal sake I don't understand why he wants to stay here.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Nonis just no NMC - he's got to be traded. But he's got to be signed first. Keep it reasonable - give yourself the flexibility to move him.

This I agree with.

Limited NTC protection is fine for someone of his calibre. But if he wants an NMC it should only be on a short term 3-4 year deal. 7 years with an NMC is too much.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
our blueline is so pathetic im OK with whatever we give phaneuf. we paid clarkson 5.2m. phaneuf isnt getting under 7

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
LOL, Dion is as close as we're gonna get to a #1D in a long long time. Rielly will be a good #2 someday, Gards is a #3/4 on a great team. He's definitely not a top 5 or even a top 10 all around d-man but he's in the top 15 in the league. No player is worth 5+ mil. Very very few players (superstars like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos) are truly worth the money but its a business. Players are gonna get paid, specially good players.

Even good players are worth $5mil in this cap system.

Hell by the end of the CBA that's going to be the average salary. People need to either learn how the cap works or stop obsessing over the numbers it creates if they're complaining about $5mil per contracts.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Sign and Trade.

He can still be your favourite player - just somewhere else. You can still kiss his poster on your wall before bed every night.

In NHL 14 sign and trades are super popular.

In reality they don't work. You sign and trade your captain and you might as well go fishing in Afganistan with the Taliban on July 1 because you're not going to be a popular destination for the top UFA's.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
This I agree with.

Limited NTC protection is fine for someone of his calibre. But if he wants an NMC it should only be on a short term 3-4 year deal. 7 years with an NMC is too much.

David freaking Clarkson has a NMC, you don't think that Phaneuf will get one when he can use that as a comparable?

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
He doesn't have the drive? Are you freaking kidding me?! So what, do you think he just casually shuts-down top lines?

Well why does he give up on plays so much? He doesn't seem to lead by example, I understand you support him and that's great. I am just pointing out what I see on a nightly basis. He rarly gives a a full game of compete and at time seems complacent.

Other times he looks like a franchise type defenseman but follows it up with a stinker. His consistency is lacking, his leadership for me is in question and his decision making and compete levels are not consistent from shift to shift.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
As much as I like the way Phaneuf's game as evolved here in Toronto, have some real concerns about a long term deal over 7 million a year. I know he's been our best defenceman this year by a country mile and couldn't imagine the blueline without him, I would say it says as much about the personnel on the blueline as it does about Phaneuf. As important as he is, Nonis must look at his overall game in relation to other players around the league. In other words, if we are going to pay a guy close to 8 million a year, he better make sure he plays like an 8 million dollar player and not just the best of a bad lot. You kind of get the impression he will ask for the moon, but you could also argue he has been vastly overpaid since arriving here and its only really this season where I would say he has looked like a 6 million dollar player. Tough decision looming here, and I wouldn't allow a rising salary cap to alter any long term decisions. Pay a player based on what he is worth, otherwise it could be a recipe for disaster down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad