Value of: Devon Toews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Avs would be way better off keeping Toews and trading Girard for a futures based package around a young C prospect.

You don’t trade a top end D for cap reasons.

The suggestion of Jenner for him was laughably bad and that poster should feel ashamed for even defending it let alone suggesting it in the first place.

Reactions: Galactico

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The two triggers for me are if Toews wants to extend this off season and the Avalanche's expectation of the salary cap.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I love Avs fans. Makar is the best d-man in the world. Byram is a #1. Toews is a #1. Girard a top pairing d-man.

You guys are hilarious.
Remember when San Jose had Burns who was a #1. Vlasic was a #1. Karlsson was the best d-man in the world and San Jose won a cup. Oh wait..

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Toews for Fehervary and McMichael .
Girard+Newhook and pick(???) for Lundell
Sign Soucy

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Toews is fantastic. He hasn’t been quite as amazing this year as he was last year but every deep dive metric is still good to great across the board at even strength from offense to possession to defense. His PP production is down this year as is his shooting percentage so his raw point totals have dipped a bit but he’s still on pace for a 45 point, +30 season (which will lead the team again, easily this year) - more than a handful of that without Makar by his side. He also leads the defense in penalty killing time by a considerable margin.

He’s a beautiful skating two-way defender who can effortlessly put in 25+ minutes a night. He’s not a franchise defender but yeah, I’d say you can definitely put him on that top 15-20 tier. Barring unforeseen injury I’d say he’s a good bet to age extremely well too. Late bloomer, doesn’t quite have all the miles, skating for days. He will probably age into more of a slightly poor man’s Slavin than continue to be a big point producer….just a guess.

The Avs certainly aren’t going to short-circuit their 2023-24 season by trading him while he is on this amazing deal. My guess is if his expectations are within feasibility, the Avs will move the pieces around to re-sign him. And if they aren’t, they’ll let him walk into unrestricted free agency in the summer of ‘24.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
makar and toews are. byram has the potential to be a #1, but right now hes 2nd pair. girard is a 2nd pair d.
Makar is the best d-man. Toews is top pairing. I wouldn't take him as a #1. Agreed on Byram and Girard.
Certainly any claims along the lines of Byram being a #1 right now or something of that sort are absurd, but I think we should be able to say the Avs have an excellent defense and the following is true: Makar is arguably the best defender in the league and certainly sits in the top 5 in any given season right now; Toews is clearly a high-end top pairing defenseman; Girard is a pretty good second pairing defender; and Byram, while currently a spotty/erratic second pairing defender (in part because of his lengthy missed time due to injuries) certainly has the potential to be a quality top pairing defender. Whether he reaches that potential is another question, but it certainly has to be built into his value. And then Manson, when healthy, is a pretty decent second-pairing defender as well.

If the Avs do move Toews this offseason, which is the topic of this thread, due to the coming cap press and the rather desperate need to acquire cheaper forward talent down the middle then I have to think there'd be a lot of suitors. He's 29; eats 25 minutes a night on the top pair; is going to eclipse 40 points this season; had 57 points in 66 games last year; and in last year's cup run played 26 minutes a night and had 15 points in 20 games.
I can get on board with most of this. Well said.
If the Canadiens or Sharks ever have a good defenseman never mind four who would immediately be the best on those teams you might get it.
Have you ever heard of Erik Karlsson?
Byram is overrated by Avs fans. The rest is all simply true, although Girard hasn't played like a Top pairing guy thus year...

There's a reason we completely torched the league last year and won the cup despite getting below league average goaltending.
I was poking fun. But I don't think Girard is a top pairing guy. Byram has sky high potential, but he hasn't shown he's a legit #1 like many have suggested.
Girard is a second pairing defenseman, the rest is completely accurate.
Disagree on Byram. I don't think Toews is a #1. Makar is probably best in the league. Agreed on Girard.
Love fans of lessor teams saying this.
Ouch.
Its facts backed with stats. Your ignorance is adorable
No it's not.
Remember when San Jose had Burns who was a #1. Vlasic was a #1. Karlsson was the best d-man in the world and San Jose won a cup. Oh wait..
That wasn't all simultaneous, like some Avs fans claim though. Nice try though.
You forgot Jack Johnson other than that it's spot on ! :sarcasm:
:laugh:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That wasn't all simultaneous, like some Avs fans claim though. Nice try though.
I don't know any Avs fan that have claimed all of Girard, Byram, Makar, and Toews were a #1 simultaneously. I haven't seen any Avs fan calling Girard a top pairing defenseman since the 2020-21 season.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't know any Avs fan that have claimed all of Girard, Byram, Makar, and Toews were a #1 simultaneously.
Just 3/4, with Girard as top pairing, like I said originally. I do think the Avs have a stacked defence though. Just poking some fun.

Reactions: PAZ

PenderB

Jun 9, 2019
I dunno if it’s fair to say “very minor”, as Girard would be top 4 on most teams and even top pairing on some.

That being said, yes the return on Toews would be greater. However with Makar and Byram in the lineup I think Girard is more expendable.

So my view is the only reason you move Toews is if you aren’t going to be able to re-up him. I’d rather move Girard for nothing (won’t happen, just illustrating my viewpoint) than get a haul for Toews.
K

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I think Makar and Toews are #1D. Girard is a 2nd pairing dman. Byram is still relatively unknown last year in the playoffs he played like a #1D but sample is just too small to label him that. He has the potential but would still qualify him as 2nd pairing dman too.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Avs need to find a way to keep Toews, he is the Seabrook to Maker's Keith and plays the Avs style very well.

With Mack, Makar, Rantanen, Nuke, Toews, Byram, Landeskog, Girard etc on the team eventually something will have to give but I would rather it not be Toews. He would be sorely missed if he were to leave.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Avs should probably trade Manson and a winger and try to keep their top 4 dmen around. Probably still not possible though

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
With Makar dealing with some concussion issues this year it would risky putting Toews on the market. You trade Toews and Makar goes down for an extended period there goes your top pairing.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
With the Avs most likely going to suffer a cap crunch, I wonder if Toews would ever be available? Byram is knocking at the door and Girard's contract isn't super enticing for most teams to want. Toews would actually be able to fetch some nice pieces back.
That's an interesting one
Colorado need to think about it because after next season Toews will get a 8M per year contract and Colorado can't afford it.
Colorado objective are simple: Get Byram ready to replace Toews when Toews contract ended.
If Byram can stay Healthy yes he can take his place.
And Get Behrens ready to nhl at the same time.
Not sure Colorado will trade Toews but his value can be very high if Colorado win the Cup this year.
@ the draft if a team call and offer a top 15 pick, Colorado maybe need to change their plan and move Toews.
If they move Toews Colorado Defense can be next year :
Makar Byram
Manson GIrard
Hunt and Johnson (1 year contract around 2 M)
They can use Macdermid Middleton or J.Johnson

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Trade Girard instead . Byram is a good looking young player but has well documented concussion issues . Be risky to hand over the keys to the kingdom because of this imo .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad