Value of: Devon Toews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
i dont think so. you're certainly not going to get kent johnson lol. i think you have unrealistic expectationsj
DT is a #1 D in his prime and will come with an extension to which ever team trades for him. His value will be pretty damn high

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Why would the Avs trade a “top 5 Dman in the league”?? Lol

Mostly cap. If there was no cap, toews would retire an Avs.

Asset management would suggest trading toews but I doubt the Avs would actually do it. NHL is about winning cups not asset management.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Toews probably will get $6-7M/year on his next contract. It will probably be too expensive for Avs, considering Byram will need to get a new contract and is a bigger priority.

Toews is a really good all round defender. Since joining Avs three seasons ago he has 126 points (17th in the league), is +112 (1st in the league) and has 105 ES points (3rd in the league). He's just not going to get any PP1 time with Makar around.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
No shit, no teams trade for a players of his caliber without having a very good idea of knowing what it will take to sign the player
That's much more a common thing here than in real life.
NJ just traded for Timo Meier without an extension

Cool reach to be confrontational, but he meant he will extend with whatever team trades for him.
No, it's how it read

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Whether or not they need to trade him will depend on whether they bridge Byram or not. If Byram agrees to a two year deal at a team friendly cap hit, they could afford to keep Toews and have amazing defensive depth. If Byram wants a long term deal, which he might considering his health issues, they'll have to move Toews. Byram could easily take his place with Makar imo.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
That's much more a common thing here than in real life.
NJ just traded for Timo Meier without an extension

No, it's how it read
Meier is still an RFA after this year, so the Devils are probably not in a hurry to extend him and will get it done in the off-season.

It’ll take at least an offer like the Canucks got for Bo Horvat for the Avs to even consider it. Even then, I think the Avs should do everything in their power to find a way to keep Toews. He’s a rock solid two-way top pairing defenseman in his prime and is a big part of the team’s success.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Meier is still an RFA after this year, so the Devils are probably not in a hurry to extend him and will get it done in the off-season.

It’ll take at least an offer like the Canucks got for Bo Horvat for the Avs to even consider it. Even then, I think the Avs should do everything in their power to find a way to keep Toews. He’s a rock solid two-way top pairing defenseman in his prime and is a big part of the team’s success.
I'd point to what the Canucks paid the Wings for Hronek. Then ask for something more.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
People will hate this one but I'm on the side of resign Towes, move Byram for a center prospect, and run Toews-Girard as your top two LD for the next 5 years.

Certainly possible but the upside of Byram is too hard to pass up. We'll have to see how big of a problem 2C is for us in the coming playoffs.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Fehervary + McMichael?

Fehervary becomes long term Siegenthaler like partner for Makar, can probably be signed cheaply. McMichael becomes 3C then 2C behind MacKinnon, also could be signed to a cost controlled contract. Too much for one year of Toews but not sure what Colorado could send back.

Toews-Carlson/Sandin-Jensen/Alexeyev-TVR should be a substantially upgraded D from this year.

If I'm the Avs though I try to sign him to an 8x7.5 deal and give him Girard's money

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I thought Compher was Nate’s money (plus the cap space we already have) :laugh:

MacK's contract is doubling (an additional 6.3 million); Compher's expiring deal is just 3.5 million.

With the projected cap of 83.5 million next year the Avs are already at 69.5 million spent on 13 guys. That means they've got 14 million to spend on 9-10 players...including re-signing Byram and Newhook and finding a #2 and #3 centre. The Avs will either be filling out their depth with mediocrity/crap or will need to start moving Toews/Girard and possibly a winger in exchange for cheaper options to fill in their centers.

Reactions: howboutahug

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
MacK's contract is doubling (an additional 6.3 million); Compher's expiring deal is just 3.5 million.

With the projected cap of 83.5 million next year the Avs are already at 69.5 million spent on 13 guys. That means they've got 14 million to spend on 9-10 players...including re-signing Byram and Newhook and finding a #2 and #3 centre. The Avs will either be filling out their depth with mediocrity/crap or will need to start moving Toews/Girard and possibly a winger in exchange for cheaper options to fill in their centers.
They should be moving Newhook while he has remotely any value. Unless we want to trade him for Nico Sturm in a few years.

Reactions: Galactico

Avs44

May 16, 2011
They should be moving Newhook while he has remotely any value. Unless we want to trade him for Nico Sturm in a few years.
Oh, I'm inclined to agree. But if he is re-signed he won't be getting much anyways, so it doesn't really address the cap crunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad