Value of: Devon Toews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still think they'd be better served finding a landing place for Girard than breaking up Toews and Makar as a pair.

Reactions: Ncit3

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Toews case are very interesting how Colorado front office will manage it.
95% of chance He will terminate his contract with Colorado. After it will depend of how much he will ask @ 31 years old Probably Colorado will not be able and don't want to give him a 8m for 5 years contract but he will have some teams ready to give him this term.
Colorado target is to have this def in 2024-25
Byram Makar
Girard Manson
Behrens and a veteran D
Top 4 still very good

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Toews case are very interesting how Colorado front office will manage it.
95% of chance He will terminate his contract with Colorado. After it will depend of how much he will ask @ 31 years old Probably Colorado will not be able and don't want to give him a 8m for 5 years contract but he will have some teams ready to give him this term.
Colorado target is to have this def in 2024-25
Byram Makar
Girard Manson
Behrens and a veteran D
Top 4 still very good

DMen is likely the projection for next season. I wouldn’t be surprised if EJ returns at a low cap for the final position. Still very good, if they remain healthy. Not a lot of depth for injuries.

Toews trade cannot be avoided. It could help add an 2C with Compher gone as well and/or replenish a deleted farm.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd think Toews is among the last pieces the Avs would want to move. You find a partnertship like that with your star defenceman in Makar, and you hang onto that. I'd think they look to move Girard first...but if they can't do that, i think they'd honestly look to move Byram for a haul before they got rid of Toews. Byram is younger and has huge upside...but he also has a lot of durability concerns and doesn't have that natural chemistry with Makar.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd think Toews is among the last pieces the Avs would want to move. You find a partnertship like that with your star defenceman in Makar, and you hang onto that. I'd think they look to move Girard first...but if they can't do that, i think they'd honestly look to move Byram for a haul before they got rid of Toews. Byram is younger and has huge upside...but he also has a lot of durability concerns and doesn't have that natural chemistry with Makar.

The issue is Girard likely doesn't fetch nearly as good of a return, and Byram doesn't really provide and immediate cap relief on top of a likely underwhelming return given his durability concerns.

Toews is the best combination of cap relief and trade value that can meaningfully make a difference in our roster makeup for next year. Plus, he's quickly approaching 30. I really don't want the Avs to be the team that gives him a 6-7 year deal for $7M well into his mid 30s and beyond.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The issue is Girard likely doesn't fetch nearly as good of a return, and Byram doesn't really provide and immediate cap relief on top of a likely underwhelming return given his durability concerns.

Toews is the best combination of cap relief and trade value that can meaningfully make a difference in our roster makeup for next year. Plus, he's quickly approaching 30. I really don't want the Avs to be the team that gives him a 6-7 year deal for $7M well into his mid 30s and beyond.

I just don't think you trade your key piece...because that's got the "most value".

Byram, despite his durability concerns...would fetch an absolute haul.

Girard probably doesn't return that much, but i'd rather be left with the far better player and have less in trade, than move the far more important player and have some extra draft capital or whatever.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just don't think you trade your key piece...because that's got the "most value".

Byram, despite his durability concerns...would fetch an absolute haul.

Girard probably doesn't return that much, but i'd rather be left with the far better player and have less in trade, than move the far more important player and have some extra draft capital or whatever.

Hard disagree. Especially because of Toews age.

He's the best of the 3 LD right now, but within 2-3 years it's pretty unlikely he's still the best. And somebody is going to be paying him north of $7M at that point.

It's actually a really easy decision. Toews is the one that should go if the Avs want any chance at a cup window remaining open beyond the next couple of years. It's also why not going all in again this year was so dumb from our management.

Our chances of winning another cup after this year drop drastically because Mackinnons cap hit literally doubles.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hard disagree. Especially because of Toews age.

He's the best of the 3 LD right now, but within 2-3 years it's pretty unlikely he's still the best. And somebody is going to be paying him north of $7M at that point.

It's actually a really easy decision. Toews is the one that should go if the Avs want any chance at a cup window remaining open beyond the next couple of years. It's also why not going all in again this year was so dumb from our management.

Our chances of winning another cup after this year drop drastically because Mackinnons cap hit literally doubles.
I can see the idea here. I just subscribe more to the whole, "bird in hand is worth two in the bush" mentality. If you've got a terrific LD who pairs absolutely perfectly with your franchise D...i'd want to keep that guy. I think you're maybe underrating how important Toews is to the success of the Avs over this period.

Byram has huge potential, but he's come and gone from the lineup and had very little overall impact on success. Girard might not fetch much in trade, but i really think that's a reflection of his actual importance to the Avs success. He just doesn't matter as much as Toews. I think there's a danger in trying to be too clever there. Keep the most important guy if you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad