Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

6. Smarter goalies will require better collaboration

Keefe cites hockey sense as Devon Levi’s biggest strength. Levi, Sabres’ property after being traded from the Panthers in the Sam Reinhart deal, anticipates where pucks will go. He also has the power and athleticism to get to his spots.

It becomes critical for a weak-side defenseman, for example, to know that rushing to occupy a shooting lane may not be the best move if his goalie can get there. The defenseman’s better play may be to stay put and deny a slot-line pass.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
I am a BU alum, from the DiPietro era.

My loyalty to BU hockey is close to the loyalty I have to the Sabres (grew up splitting time between Pittsford and Penn Yan, NY).

I never actually played organized hockey - I was a competitive skier and the schedules conflicted - but I spent many hours playing street hockey, and I always played goal.

Devon Levi had me rooting against BU with barely a twinge of guilt.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Not sure he'll reach any of his NCAA goals this season with the team in front of him.

GAA: Ranked 37th
SV%: Ranked 24th
Win%: Ranked 31st
In the matter of a little over 2 weeks his counting stats have improved pretty significantly. NCAA hasn't updated their site from last night yet but these are roughly where he ranks now.

GAA: Ranked 37th -----> now 22nd
SV%: Ranked 24th ----> now 4th
Win%: Ranked 31st ----> now 24th

Since his 8 goal shelling against Harvard he's 6-1 with 1 SO, a .955 Save % and roughly a 1.6 GAA. That's the kind of rebound you love to see from a young goalie. Definitely seems to have a lot of mental toughness.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In the matter of a little over 2 weeks his counting stats have improved pretty significantly. NCAA hasn't updated their site from last night yet but these are roughly where he ranks now.

Since his 8 goal shelling against Harvard he's 6-1 with 1 SO, a .955 Save % and roughly a 1.6 GAA. That's the kind of rebound you love to see from a young goalie. Definitely seems to have a lot of mental toughness.

NESN's broadcast had a graphic that he was .971 in his last six going into last night's game. I'm curious how a rematch will motivate him next week. If ever there is someone who seems like he will emphatically make a statement game against a rival who embarrassed him last time out, it seems like that would be Levi.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Per the post you quoted, I was not doubting him as a prospect (or his mental toughness). I was questioning whether the team NEU iced was good enough to support his goals and if going back to college was the right choice. I watched a few periods here and there in late Nov and early Dec during that losing streak, and NEU looked outmatched regularly.

It's good to see him rise to the occasion and at least get a shot at a bean pot. I still am not sure if the Hobey Baker or NCAA final 4 are in the cards with the NEU team, but perhaps they are a sleeping giant and are turning it on at the right time.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Per the post you quoted, I was not doubting him as a prospect (or his mental toughness). I was questioning whether the team NEU iced was good enough to support his goals and if going back to college was the right choice. I watched a few periods here and there in late Nov and early Dec during that losing streak, and NEU looked outmatched regularly.

It's good to see him rise to the occasion and at least get a shot at a bean pot. I still am not sure if the Hobey Baker or NCAA final 4 are in the cards with the NEU team, but perhaps they are a sleeping giant and are turning it on at the right time.
Oh I was more just using your post to show the statistical improvement from then, not to say you doubted him or anything like that. Since you had his rankings from the 21st nicely laid out it made it easier to show how well he's been bouncing back.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To paraphrase a conversation I had with the lad while we were watching Dustin Wolf in the WHL a few years ago - big, small... can you stop pucks?

And Levi is very, very good at stopping pucks.
Skating and processing are two skills that can help a shorter goalie excel at the next level.

Those are the things that separate Wolf, Levi, and Saros from their competitors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad