Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Not sure he'll reach any of his NCAA goals this season with the team in front of him.

GAA: Ranked 37th
SV%: Ranked 24th
Win%: Ranked 31st

* Not going to get Richter or Hobey Baker
* Not a clear favorite to win Hockey East
* NEU may not even make the tournament

Maybe he can steal a Bean Pot.

Probably would have been better off in Rochester.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Not sure he'll reach any of his NCAA goals this season with the team in front of him.

GAA: Ranked 37th
SV%: Ranked 24th
Win%: Ranked 31st

* Not going to get Richter or Hobey Baker
* Not a clear favorite to win Hockey East
* NEU may not even make the tournament

Maybe he can steal a Bean Pot.

Probably would have been better off in Rochester.
Agreed. His Coaches have been criticized as well, college is overrated.
I still have a slight worry about his size. Playing in the A will be interesting for him.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So we start him on a night we wear the AGH. He can keep and feel comfortable in his NE gear, color scheme match, everyone wins.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign him to an NHL deal, but rather he signs a deal to kick in next year and reports to Rochester on a ATO to finish the AHL season. Levi has always been one to do things his way, and be very methodical about his development, so skipping the AHL to burn a year off his contract might actually not be the path he chooses.

It certainly would be Adams preference one would think, especially if UPL is up here, there will be starts to be had in Rochester.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I actually wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign him to an NHL deal, but rather he signs a deal to kick in next year and reports to Rochester on a ATO to finish the AHL season. Levi has always been one to do things his way, and be very methodical about his development, so skipping the AHL to burn a year off his contract might actually not be the path he chooses.

It certainly would be Adams preference one would think, especially if UPL is up here, there will be starts to be had in Rochester.
Even with his unconventional development path, this feels more like wishful thinking than anything else to me. Signing an ELC that starts this season does not mean skipping the AHL, it just means he doesn't play there this season. He'll almost certainly see time there next year regardless. In addition, I'm not sure he sees many pro games this season wherever he is, if for no other reason than workload management. Whether or not Northeastern makes the NCAAs or goes deep in the Hockey East tournament, he's been ridden quite hard (he's appeared in all but one game so far this season).

In fact, I might place better odds on the idea that, considering his history, he doesn't sign at all to finish out the season, finishing out the school year, then signing during the off-season.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He COULD. We never know. I just personally don't see it happening with leaks coming out that he would be open to testing Free Agency
I had a heart attack for a minute there, this is in response to Portillo?

Makes sense, I've been on record since last year, maybe the year before saying he wasn't going to sign. Same with Ryan Johanson.

College kids would have signed already to burn an ELC year and get paid faster.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I had a heart attack for a minute there, this is in response to Portillo?

Makes sense, I've been on record since last year, maybe the year before saying he wasn't going to sign. Same with Ryan Johanson.

College kids would have signed already to burn an ELC year and get paid faster.
No, this is in response to the "rumors" that Levi wants to stay at school until Levi can sign with the Habs as a free agent.

It seems like a click bait thing aimed at hopeful Habs fans and worst case scenario Sabres fans.

Reactions: Zman5778

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No, this is in response to the "rumors" that Levi wants to stay at school until Levi can sign with the Habs as a free agent.

It seems like a click bait thing aimed at hopeful Habs fans and worst case scenario Sabres fans.
Oh I thought that was more about the Canadians trying to trade for him. The French Canadians are very inclusive, they only vote for a Prime Minister that is french. As a hockey fan, you know the Habs organization only hires french GM's and coaches. It's not as bad in Montreal as it is going further North into Quebec but it's still bad.

I worked for a french company a few years ago, I had friends but the upper management didn't really care for me because I didn't speak french. It's like that there so any French Canadian with ties they want. Same with Toronto fans thinking that any kid from Ontario or Toronto will want to play for Toronto.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oh I thought that was more about the Canadians trying to trade for him. The French Canadians are very inclusive, they only vote for a Prime Minister that is french. As a hockey fan, you know the Habs organization only hires french GM's and coaches. It's not as bad in Montreal as it is going further North into Quebec but it's still bad.

I worked for a french company a few years ago, I had friends but the upper management didn't really care for me because I didn't speak french. It's like that there so any French Canadian with ties they want. Same with Toronto fans thinking that any kid from Ontario or Toronto will want to play for Toronto.
It wouldn't surprise me if Devon spoke French.

He grew up in the Montreal area and is buddies with Yaniv Perets.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Pretty nice stretch for Levi. Back to back wins over Merrimack - Last weekend on Friday - let in 1 goal on 33 shots in a 5-1 win. Saturday, stopped all 37 shots he faced in a 1-0 shoutout win. Shutout number 4 of the year.

That follows consecutive wins of UConn: 4-1 at Fenway Park and then 4-3 the following week at UConn. Maybe his rough patch is over.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It wouldn't surprise me if Devon spoke French.

He grew up in the Montreal area and is buddies with Yaniv Perets.

Likely speaks French well, growing up in Montreal. He's a Jewish kid, educated in English. Jewish Montrealer Devon Levi represents Canada in WJC as starting goalie

I'd love to see him succeed in Buffalo. Seems like a very smart educated person too which I really like. I always thought Miller was one of the more intelligent Sabres and it helped his game.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Likely speaks French well, growing up in Montreal. He's a Jewish kid, educated in English. Jewish Montrealer Devon Levi represents Canada in WJC as starting goalie

I'd love to see him succeed in Buffalo. Seems like a very smart educated person too which I really like. I always thought Miller was one of the more intelligent Sabres and it helped his game.

You want your goalies smart, a little weird, and a bit frisky. That’s the recipe all good goalies have! @oldgoalie right?

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Pretty nice stretch for Levi. Back to back wins over Merrimack - Last weekend on Friday - let in 1 goal on 33 shots in a 5-1 win. Saturday, stopped all 37 shots he faced in a 1-0 shoutout win. Shutout number 4 of the year.

That follows consecutive wins of UConn: 4-1 at Fenway Park and then 4-3 the following week at UConn. Maybe his rough patch is over.
It's funny to me that even with his rough patch and that 8 goal game, he's still top 10 in the NCAA in save % with a .926, and the top in the NCAA right now is .933 so he's not even that far off from the leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad