Confirmed with Link: Devils trade #77 for RW Beau Bennett

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Ya this is what I was talking about. Don't like this at all.

If you like Bennett and think there is potential that's one thing, but I don't like this idea of, we got the pick for nothing thus it's cool to be sloppy with it.

I like the trade, but I like it even more for that reason.

Bennett, if he can stay healthy, could be a 30 point player. His production in the NHL reflects that, I think his PPG is somewhere around .35 or ~28 points. He's also struggled from injuries and consequently with confidence the last few years. He's getting a fresh start with a new organization that should be able to give him a scoring role on the RW.

He will be put into position to succeed and he has the skills to do so. The only question mark is staying healthy. For a third round pick, to get a player that can potentially put up 30 points now rather than maybe put up 30 points in 5 years, is huge. If he can rebound and be a productive 30-50 point player, that is one less void we have to fill.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I don't like this line of thinking. Or the similar, we got it for nothing thus who cares.

pretty sure shero is familiar with bennett i would imagine he is the one that drafted him,no? so to suggest he was just piiiissssinng into the wind is suspect. time will tell

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You can criticize not using the third to move up in the draft if you want...clearly they felt the players in the early second/third weren't worth moving up for relative to their board and who they got since they had all the ammo to move up if they wanted and didn't. They might have wanted to move up in the first but the top ten didn't move out of it, maybe the teams drafting in the top ten felt (like this board did) that there was a deliniation after the top ten.

People call a third round pick nothing because the chances of said player ever becoming a real NHL contributor are slim at best. I'm not that sure Bennett will be a real contributor either but obviously this regime knows the player and felt it was worth taking a chance on him.

1)As long as the people that are here saying a 3rd rnder is nothing are not getting excited about the potential of a 3rd rnd or later draft pick in another thread, then OK.

2)We've been on a good run in recent years, starting with Rico I guess, where our 3rd and 4th rounders have turned into good looking prospects in the years following.

3)Obviously Shero likes the deal, that's what I'm arguing against.

And again, I don't hate the deal, certainly I hope Bennett can get healthy and fullfill some of that potential, but he has been on a 5 year run where he has lost pretty significant time due to injury in each of those years. I'm not confident that trend turns in our favor.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Playoff games count. Bennett has also played in 21 playoff games. So he's played in 194 pro games.

In addition, Josefson turned pro at 19 and was 19 for most of his first pro season, Bennett turned pro at 20 and 11 months. These are fatuous comparisons.

I'm fine with the move, Bennett's been a good player when healthy - if they get one mostly healthy season out of him where he performs, it's a win.
You've argued that the ability to stay healthy is an important aspect of evaluating players. Bennett get's an F in this regard.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Adrian Foster had unrealized potential too.

Just think about who the Devils had in the organization and on the NHL team at that time. Prospect pool was loaded and our NHL team had a strong core that was still young. It made sense to take a high-risk gamble on a player with serious skill.

Right now, it makes sense to take the chance on Bennett. We have a top goalie in Schneider. We have a young, growing defense that should reach it's peak over the next few years. Over the next couple years, we're going to be watching out young forwards (Boucher, Blandisi, Quenneville, Zacha, Coleman, Pietila, Wood) push their way onto the roster. Guys like Zajac, Henrique, DSP, and Palmieiri should still be young enough to be effective players. In short, the next two or three years is when this team is going to need to start competing, before Schneider gets too old.

Bennett, if he works out, helps us do that more than any player we would have picked at #77.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just think about who the Devils had in the organization and on the NHL team at that time. Prospect pool was loaded and our NHL team had a strong core that was still young. It made sense to take a high-risk gamble on a player with serious skill.

Right now, it makes sense to take the chance on Bennett. We have a top goalie in Schneider. We have a young, growing defense that should reach it's peak over the next few years. Over the next couple years, we're going to be watching out young forwards (Boucher, Blandisi, Quenneville, Zacha, Coleman, Pietila, Wood) push their way onto the roster. Guys like Zajac, Henrique, DSP, and Palmieiri should still be young enough to be effective players. In short, the next two or three years is when this team is going to need to start competing, before Schneider gets too old.

Bennett, if he works out, helps us do that more than any player we would have picked at #77.

I don't know about that... Our #82 overall in 2008 was centering our top line just 3 years later and scoring one of the most significant goals in recent Devils history.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't know about that... Our #82 overall in 2008 was centering our top line just 3 years later and scoring one of the most significant goals in recent Devils history.

Henrique also developed better than anyone could have expected and I'm trying not to nitpick but that was four years removed from his draft. Like I said, that was likely the best development curve possible for Henrique as well.

Regardless, the odds are Bennett helps us in three years more than who we draft right now. He's an NHL player right now with room to grow.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Bennett is a fine trial candidate for this season. We are still in the process of molding and building a compete level roster.

If Bennett doesn't get it done or DSP either, then they will both be jettisoned either during the season or not brought back next offseason.

Low risk and potentially significant reward. Bennett is a better forward in terms of how he plays the game up and down the ice right now than Yakupov. Staying healthy is his big problem. Having him and DSP compete for minutes would be great to force them to seize a role and produce.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

You really want to play this game? Sure, Henrique is a huge part of the team then and now. The last 3rd round pick to make a serious impact on the Devils before him? Brian Gionta. There's 14 3rd round picks between the two of them.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Henrique also developed better than anyone could have expected and I'm trying not to nitpick but that was four years removed from his draft. Like I said, that was likely the best development curve possible for Henrique as well.

Regardless, the odds are Bennett helps us in three years more than who we draft right now. He's an NHL player right now with room to grow.

Odds are more that Bennett is out of hockey in three years based on past performance/ history.

And not to nitpick but Henrique was drafted June 21st in 2008 and by November 2011 he was centering Parise and Kovalchuk. That's 3 years 4 months from the time he was drafted.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

Ok, I'm guessing you're excited about Brandon Gignac then. No idea how anyone could be against trading 77 for an NHL player when we had another pick at 80.

Nature's Minister

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
You really want to play this game? Sure, Henrique is a huge part of the team then and now. The last 3rd round pick to make a serious impact on the Devils before him? Brian Gionta. There's 14 3rd round picks between the two of them.

I would like to play this game. You are saying that our third round draft picks contribute roughly 1/8 of the time? Beau has remained healthy enough to contribute at the nhl level 0/4 times.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You've argued that the ability to stay healthy is an important aspect of evaluating players. Bennett get's an F in this regard.

I agree - that's why he was available. Health is a skill, and maybe Bennett hasn't got it - I'm not sure what his injuries were. Still, for a 3rd round pick when the Devils have 5 picks in the 3rd and 4th round, it's a worthwhile gamble. I like this move a lot better than e.g. Yakupov.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Odds are more that Bennett is out of hockey in three years based on past performance/ history.

And not to nitpick but Henrique was drafted June 21st in 2008 and by November 2011 he was centering Parise and Kovalchuk. That's 3 years 4 months from the time he was drafted.

Maybe I should have clarified that a bit. I was more commenting on a seasonal basis. That was the fourth year -- guess I should have said season -- after his draft 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-11, and then 2011-12.

Regardless, I still stand by the fact that odds are Bennett has a much better shot to make a difference in the next two/three seasons, when we would need it most. Given the organizational state and direction of the team, it makes sense to trade a third for him.

Last edited:

GDDevils*

Not sure why there's such an uproar about this trade. Most posters wanted to go for a boom or bust prospect with this pick. That's exactly what we got. The only difference is health. We got a player with a known skill level with health concerns instead of a healthy player with development concerns. Not sure why that's an issue I guess.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not sure why there's such an uproar about this trade. Most posters wanted to go for a boom or bust prospect with this pick. That's exactly what we got. The only difference is health. We got a player with a known skill level with health concerns instead of a healthy player with development concerns. Not sure why that's an issue I guess.

People see things different ways, doesn't make them wrong or right. Regardless, it's useful to see a different perspective and debate about it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I would like to play this game. You are saying that our third round draft picks contribute roughly 1/8 of the time? Beau has remained healthy enough to contribute at the nhl level 0/4 times.

This is a 'kind' of logic - faulty logic. Teams don't hit on 1/8 3rd round picks - the success rate is much lower than that. In addition, Bennett has contributed when he's healthy, and it's not like his role was so important or that he was paid so much money that the Penguins were hamstrung by his absence.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I think it's always a bit of a shock when you're watching the draft and you're expecting your team to pick an exciting young prospect and instead they trade the pick for a player. I think the default position for people watching - people invested enough in prospects and the draft to be watching - is to be upset.

Nature's Minister

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
This is a 'kind' of logic - faulty logic. Teams don't hit on 1/8 3rd round picks - the success rate is much lower than that. In addition, Bennett has contributed when he's healthy, and it's not like his role was so important or that he was paid so much money that the Penguins were hamstrung by his absence.

Excuse me, but did you not just quote the time between Gio and Henrique as part of an argument in your favor?

GDDevils*

I think it's always a bit of a shock when you're watching the draft and you're expecting your team to pick an exciting young prospect and instead they trade the pick for a player. I think the default position for people watching - people invested enough in prospects and the draft to be watching - is to be upset.

I guess my position is that we got more of a known commodity with this trade than we would have by picking. Yes it's still a risk but the potential for a productive NHL player is greater with this trade.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Pretty much this is where I'm at :laugh:

There's always one contreversial pick or move every year. Last year it was Blackwood. A couple years back it was Matteau for obvious reasons. Most people did like the Palmieri trade last year to be fair so it's not just a prospect thing. But in this case I think people don't like Beau Bennett cause we have seen what he's been as a pro and haven't been impressed to this point. In some ways it's basically trading an unknown for a not liked known.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

We are talking a high 3rd here, #77 overall.

Severson was a #60, Speers was a #67, Wood was a #100, Boucher was a #99, Wedgwood was #84..These are good prospects and far more valuable than an injury prone project player.

So sure the hit rate on 3rd rounder maybe miniscule but we are in a position that we need as many viable prospects as possible in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad