Confirmed with Link: Devils trade #77 for RW Beau Bennett

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Excuse me, but did you not just quote the time between Gio and Henrique as part of an argument in your favor?

Yes, and it was in my favor - it was merely a small sample size example of how often 3rd round picks have worked for NJ, which has actually been better than average. Now imagine what the average is.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We are talking a high 3rd here, #77 overall.

Severson was a #60, Speers was a #67, Wood was a #100, Boucher was a #99, Wedgwood was #84..These are good prospects and far more valuable than an injury prone project player.

So sure the hit rate on 3rd rounder maybe miniscule but we are in a position that we need as many viable prospects as possible in my opinion.

How the hell is a #77 a high third? It's not even in the top half of 3rd round picks.

Wedgewood was trash up until this past year, please do not cite him as a good prospect. Regardless, how's Connor Chatham doing? Ryan Kujawinski? Ben Johnson? These are players taken in the 3rd round within the last 4 years who have almost no chance of contributing at the NHL level.

The Devils also need roster players - they have 5 signed forwards - and Bennett's a good buy-low opportunity.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Kujawinski and Johnson are in the pros and contributing to Albany... they might not(probably not) ever play a single game in the NHL but they are pros contributing to this organization. I define that as a small degree of success.

And Wedgwood had a fantastic year in Albany and a very good showing the NHL saying he's not a good prospect is beyond ridiculous

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Kujawinski and Johnson are in the pros and contributing to Albany... they might not(probably not) ever play a single game in the NHL but they are pros contributing to this organization. I define that as a small degree of success.

And Wedgwood had a fantastic year in Albany and a very good showing the NHL saying he's not a good prospect is beyond ridiculous

So is saying that moving an extra third round pick for a former 1st rounder who we know can contribute to an NHL team was a bad move. If he gets injured again or disappoints, oops, we lost a pick with a 75% + chance of being nothing in the NHL. If he's good, yay. It's really not a big deal and it's the kind of low risk move you should've expected to see this offseason.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Had the Devils known the future, they easily could have signed UDFAs who would have the same amount of production and traded away the 3rd round picks.

He had a fantastic half-year in Albany and a very good 4 games in the NHL. Then he put up an .897 SV% in the playoffs - his combined SV% between playoffs and regular season is .920. He has been mediocre at best before that. He is not a good prospect. It may turn out that this jump in play is real and that he's actually good, but I'd love to get in a bet in on the opposite.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So is saying that moving an extra third round pick for a former 1st rounder who we know can contribute to an NHL team was a bad move. If he gets injured again or disappoints, oops, we lost a pick with a 75% + chance of being nothing in the NHL. If he's good, yay. It's really not a big deal and it's the kind of low risk move you should've expected to see this offseason.

Would you rather have another prospect in the stable or a player who is going. Give you 30 games and 10 points?

That is how I see it right now and anything else is "if".

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Had the Devils known the future, they easily could have signed UDFAs who would have the same amount of production and traded away the 3rd round picks.

He had a fantastic half-year in Albany and a very good 4 games in the NHL. Then he put up an .897 SV% in the playoffs - his combined SV% between playoffs and regular season is .920. He has been mediocre at best before that. He is not a good prospect. It may turn out that this jump in play is real and that he's actually good, but I'd love to get in a bet in on the opposite.
Did you watch the playoffs? He was amazing. And his low SV% was largely due to one game they got bombed.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
This was a great trade. I'm trusting that if scout truly liked a few guys late in the draft they'd have kept this pick, and even then it'd be a little foolish for them not to take this thinking they had 'beat the market.'

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Would you rather have another prospect in the stable or a player who is going. Give you 30 games and 10 points?

That's is how I see it right now and anything else is "if".

If he can give us 60 games, 25+ points I'll be happy. And if the other prospect in the stable was Kujawinski or Johnson, I'll take that season from Bennett over them any day of the week. And if he can actually stay healthy (MAJOR if) and he plays like even a mediocre NHL player, it was a fantastic move. Chances are the guy we would've selected in the 3rd wouldn't be anything.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
25-30 points isn't exactly ideal if the guy's gonna be a top six winger here. Which he likely will be.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Did you watch the playoffs? He was amazing. And his low SV% was largely due to one game they got bombed.

He played well in stretches for sure - kept them in the series in Game 6 - but he was not good in Game 7. Also his low SV% is the result of several games where he gave up several goals, not one game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If he can give us 60 games, 25+ points I'll be happy. And if the other prospect in the stable was Kujawinski or Johnson, I'll take that season from Bennett over them any day of the week. And if he can actually stay healthy (MAJOR if) and he plays like even a mediocre NHL player, it was a fantastic move. Chances are the guy we would've selected in the 3rd wouldn't be anything.

"If" he goes 60 games, it'll be twice as many as he's averaged over the last 4 years and more games in any single season he's played since before he was drafted...

Forget about points, that is an awfully big hurdle for him.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
"If" he goes 60 games, it'll be twice as many as he's averaged over the last 4 years and more games in any single season he's played since before he was drafted...

In 2012-13, Beau Bennett played in 71 professional hockey games.

He has averaged 48.5 games per hockey year since turning pro.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
25-30 points isn't exactly ideal if the guy's gonna be a top six winger here. Which he likely will be.

See, but this type of thinking is just so, so silly. For one, he doesn't have to play in the top six for this to have been worth it.

You're talking about a guy that has a history of bone break injuries and not soft tissue injuries, he seemingly hasn't sustained a concussion. When he plays, he plays alright. Call him soft, call him skinny, but bone breaks are literally and statistically freak accidents no matter how you slice it unless the kid has osteoporosis. Any healthy, medically normal individual doesn't have bones that are so significantly weaker than others that they should be broken by anything outside of putting themselves in an unfortunate position during play.

The chances of him putting together a 60+ game season and giving us over thirty points while driving possession are greater than the chances of a third round pick turning into a player that even sees a game of NHL time, nevermind one that is useful on top of that.

Regardless, we need scoring and if you're debating what the chances are that this kid will contribute over 30 points a season v.s. the chances that a third round pick will, I can't really see how anyone can argue it's smarter to take the pick.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Health is a skill. No doubt about it. There is also no doubt that Bennett doesn't have it. However, there are outs here that just don't exist for a 3rd round pick, and we do need actual players to play for us next year. To expect to get all of them via FA is folly.

He could stay healthy and have a nice season, in which case we stole him.
He could stay healthy enough to play 37 games to hit the magic 70 number.

We don't need both of them to happen, and if neither of them do, then all we lost is a middle 3rd rounder, of which we had two others.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

That's the risk Shero was willing to take. I think it was obviously worth it because we were playing with house money first of all...Second of all, a mid third round has a tremendous chance of being zero. Third, we desperately needed a roster player and a RW specifically.

It's just not something worth getting mad about. We now have another body on the RW that we didn't have before. He has talent. We drafted 8 guys. It's just a non issue. Let it play out before you throw a fit haha.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In 2012-13, Beau Bennett played in 71 professional hockey games.

He has averaged 48.5 games per hockey year.

He's averaged 32 NHL regular season games over 4 years

But if you want to count AHL + NHL + playoffs that 71 number actually illustrates my point even more.

That 71 represents 37% of his 194 total Pro games ovet 4 years.

That means in his last 3 seasons he's only played 123 Pro games NHL, AHL and playoffs combined.

I'm not sure how you don't see a young player missing half of his last 3 years as a major problem?

DanteDevilsHockey

Jun 21, 2016
North Jersey
Didn't know too much about Bennett before the trade despite him being injury-prone. After watching some of his highlights it is evident he brings decent speed and a good shot along with him to NJ. His hockey IQ is somewhat average after watching him make passes and plays that can be considered a "forced play". His NHL experience has been limited since he's been drafted, but now having been in the NHL for 4 seasons, playing 129 games and collecting 45 PTS, Devils fans cannot expect too much from Beau, which I don't think we are having overly high expectations. Bennett can compliment our playing scheme and possibly slot in anywhere from the 2nd-4th FWD line. Giving up No.77 in the draft wasn't too bad of an exchange with also having 2 other 3rd rounds picks. Happy we didn't trade for Yakupov despite many treasuring the fact that he was a first overall pick back in 2012, he doesn't fit our scheme and has been somewhat of a bust for EDM. Shero will be more active on July 1st potentially pursuing players like Loui Eriksson, Kyle Okoposo, David Backes, Milan Lucic and with a slight chance of a miracle, Steven Stamkos. Players like Beau Bennett can possibly help the Devils organization develop into a stable team once again. I'm not saying he will put up 30 goals and 40 assists but his youth and potential skill can attract better players.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The only thing I don't like about this trade is how it reinforces the notion that Shero has too much affection for "his" guys. Makes me wonder if he's really looking at team building as objectively as he should be.

As far as the trade itself, I'm fine with it. I'd rather spend a 3rd to bring in Bennett instead of another Bernier or Farnham. If he doesn't stay healthy, so be it. No more risky than any 3rd round pick we could have made. It's easy to compare him to Speers or Wood and come away disappointed, but for all we know neither of them end up any better. The unknown in their projections makes them look more attractive because we havent had a chance to be disappointed by them yet.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If there were no question marks about Bennett then we wouldn't have been able to get him for a late 3rd.

This is low risk/high reward. Either he's good and we got a great deal, or he's bad and we expose him in the expansion draft. Either way, you can't tell me we missed out on someone at #77 when we made picks 5 spots before and 3 spots after.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
The only thing I don't like about this trade is how it reinforces the notion that Shero has too much affection for "his" guys. Makes me wonder if he's really looking at team building as objectively as he should be.

As far as the trade itself, I'm fine with it. I'd rather spend a 3rd to bring in Bennett instead of another Bernier or Farnham. If he doesn't stay healthy, so be it. No more risky than any 3rd round pick we could have made. It's easy to compare him to Speers or Wood and come away disappointed, but for all we know neither of them end up any better. The unknown in their projections makes them look more attractive because we havent had a chance to be disappointed by them yet.

I wouldn't say he has too much "affection" because I don't think affection is what he has for "his guys."

He picks his guys in the first place because he sees something in them. That's not to say he hasn't shown evidence of an ability to see he was wrong in the first place. For example, he obviously didn't hire Dan Bylsma again for a reason. If what he saw to start with is still there, he's going to pull the trigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad