Confirmed with Link: Devils trade #77 for RW Beau Bennett

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I want to like this but I have no reason to believe Bennett will be even an upgrade over DSP, much less an NHL top six winger. The Penguins have needed wings for years and this guy can't click on a team with Crosby and Malkin.

The need for wingers with the newly added bodies (like your Kessels and Hagelins) and young kids coming in (like your Shearys and Rusts) made it easy for Rutheford to move him. He was never healthy for prolonged periods of time to further develop his skill set or build some chemistry. Health is key. If he can put together a healthy season, it would be interesting to see what becomes of him, but I wouldn't say he's done yet. He's only 24. Unfortunately, injuries have kept him from being the stud, he could still yet become. For a 3rd round pick, it's a risk, but one that could pay off. His skill and talent has always been there, but you can't develop into something special if you're hardly playing...

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Beau's new profile pic on twitter LOL

cG3d_3K4.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was expecting more people to not be happy with this.

I'm surprised not many people actually have a problem with this aside from his questionable health, which is understandable.

Not that anyone really should have a problem with anything other than his health.

We also obtained another player that's better than Matteau, or at least has been MUCH better already in his career.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just watched the Shero interview about the acquisition. He was asked whether Beau was a top six player, Shero said "I think he can play top six, top nine, top seven". And I was like huh? Seven?

Then it hit me: expansion draft protection. If he doesn't work out but plays enough games, he could always fill part of that "leave 2 guys exposed" part of the deal.

aight I feel a little better now.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was expecting more people to not be happy with this.

I'm surprised not many people actually have a problem with this aside from his questionable health, which is understandable.

Not that anyone really should have a problem with anything other than his health.

We also obtained another player that's better than Matteau
, or at least has been MUCH better already in his career.

That really shouldn't be the bar though.

I don't hate the deal, cause its only a 3rd, but I don't look at this and think good move.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If he didn't make JJ look like an iron man I'd be a bit more optimistic.

Still better than the 3rd we traded away which most likely would never of sniffed a NHL game.

We traded away a long shot pick for a gamble. We are gambling with house money. If he fails we didn't lose anything of value. If he finds his game we win big.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But Bennett at least has produced close to a 3rd line clip in his career, unlike Josefson at all.

He is easily better than JJ all things being equal.

Beau healthy can be a top 6 player. JJ healthy is barely a fourth liner.

We used a 1st round pick on JJ. We spent an extra third on Beau. Beau is the better value.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

We used a 1st round pick on JJ. We spent an extra third on Beau. Beau is the better value.
Agreed on all points.

We had an extra third anyway, so it's not like we gave up our only one. There were proposals a while back about what it would take for us to get Bennett and if I recall correctly, there was a lot of talk about trading Merrill or Gelinas for him. That was on the trade board and on this board. Just fan talk though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think it was a waste of a 3rd round pick. This is a player who'll be 25 years old in November and has only played 129 NHLgames and 44 AHL games. 173 total pro games at 25 years old? For a random comparison Reid Boucher is two years younger and has played 73 NHL games and 164 AHL games for 237 pro games. Josefson is relatively the same age and has 60 AHL games and 238 NHL games for 298 pro games.

That lack of development time is significant.

Bennett has already lost a tremendous amount of time that he can never get back.

This is damaged goods and I'd much rather have a random prospect from the top 77 of this draft developing in our system.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

We used a 1st rnd on JJ a half dozen years ago, before we knew he would not produce at the NHL level, I don't see that as being relevant to what the value now is on Bennett.

And aight, it's only a 3rd, but (no knock on Bastion or Anderson) but could we have used that pick as a chip to move up and take Debrincat or Morrison in the 2nd, or Dineen in the 3rd?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think it was a waste of a 3rd round pick. This is a player who'll be 25 years old in November and has only played 129 NHLgames and 44 AHL games. 173 total pro games at 25 years old? For a random comparison Reid Boucher is two years younger and has played 73 NHL games and 164 AHL games for 237 pro games. That lack of development time is significant.

Bennett has already lost a tremendous amount of time that he can never get back.

This is damaged goods and I'd much rather have a random prospect from the top 77 of this draft developing in our system.

I see that argument, but we are a team starved for creative offensive players and more specifically RWs. He may be damaged goods but a change of scenery could do wonders for him as well.

Besides, we traded back one pick to #12 to take the player we were going to take anyways at #11, picking up #80 in the process. In that sense, I see Bennett as almost a free asset. Not really much risk there at all.

Also, it might help if we actually spelled Bennett's name right in the thread :laugh:. It's Bennett with two t's.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agreed on all points.

We had an extra third anyway, so it's not like we gave up our only one.
There were proposals a while back about what it would take for us to get Bennett and if I recall correctly, there was a lot of talk about trading Merrill or Gelinas for him. That was on the trade board and on this board. Just fan talk though.

I don't like this line of thinking. Or the similar, we got it for nothing thus who cares.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We used a 1st rnd on JJ a half dozen years ago, before we knew he would not produce at the NHL level, I don't see that as being relevant to what the value now is on Bennett.

And aight, it's only a 3rd, but (no knock on Bastion or Anderson) but could we have used that pick as a chip to move up and take Debrincat or Morrison in the 2nd, or Dineen in the 3rd?

You can criticize not using the third to move up in the draft if you want...clearly they felt the players in the early second/third weren't worth moving up for relative to their board and who they got since they had all the ammo to move up if they wanted and didn't. They might have wanted to move up in the first but the top ten didn't move out of it, maybe the teams drafting in the top ten felt (like this board did) that there was a deliniation after the top ten.

People call a third round pick nothing because the chances of said player ever becoming a real NHL contributor are slim at best. I'm not that sure Bennett will be a real contributor either but obviously this regime knows the player and felt it was worth taking a chance on him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I see that argument, but we are a team starved for creative offensive players and more specifically RWs. He may be damaged goods but a change of scenery could do wonders for him as well.

Besides, we traded back one pick to #12 to take the player we were going to take anyways at #11, picking up #80 in the process. In that sense, I see Bennett as almost a free asset. Not really much risk there at all.

Also, it might help if we actually spelled Bennett's name right in the thread :laugh:. It's Bennett with two t's.

Ya this is what I was talking about. Don't like this at all.

If you like Bennett and think there is potential that's one thing, but I don't like this idea of, we got the pick for nothing thus it's cool to be sloppy with it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think it was a waste of a 3rd round pick. This is a player who'll be 25 years old in November and has only played 129 NHLgames and 44 AHL games. 173 total pro games at 25 years old? For a random comparison Reid Boucher is two years younger and has played 73 NHL games and 164 AHL games for 237 pro games. Josefson is relatively the same age and has 60 AHL games and 238 NHL games for 298 pro games.

That lack of development time is significant.

Playoff games count. Bennett has also played in 21 playoff games. So he's played in 194 pro games.

In addition, Josefson turned pro at 19 and was 19 for most of his first pro season, Bennett turned pro at 20 and 11 months. These are fatuous comparisons.

I'm fine with the move, Bennett's been a good player when healthy - if they get one mostly healthy season out of him where he performs, it's a win.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you like Bennett and think there is potential that's one thing, but I don't like this idea of, we got the pick for nothing thus it's cool to be sloppy with it.

It's more of a we're trading from an excess type philosophy (the excess being having multiple third rounders). The way people wanted to trade a defenseman to get a forward when we were perceived to have an excess there. And with three picks in such close range (73-80) they were gonna get two guys they wanted in that area even with trading one.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
That really shouldn't be the bar though.

I don't hate the deal, cause its only a 3rd, but I don't look at this and think good move.

evaluating trades seems stupid to me most of time anyway you really never know if they were good trades until after the players ..play. trading a 3rd rounder for a former 1st rounder when we had 10/11 pics seems like a reasonable risk to take. especially at a position of need. seems to be sentiment for the most part around here anyway.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Think what needs to happen for him to be semi successful...and by semi successful I mean producing something more than a random junk pile player like Steve Bernier or Ryan Carter...

You need him to play 60 to 70% more games than he has played in his entire career going back to his freshman year at Denver during the 2010-11 season, he's never played more than 49 games in any of the last 6 seasons.

So first you need him to set career highs in games played then you need you need a certain level of development/improvement to occur. This is a pretty tall order and I'm not sure how a change of scenary really helps.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Playoff games count. Bennett has also played in 21 playoff games. So he's played in 194 pro games.

In addition, Josefson turned pro at 19 and was 19 for most of his first pro season, Bennett turned pro at 20 and 11 months. These are fatuous comparisons.

I'm fine with the move, Bennett's been a good player when healthy - if they get one mostly healthy season out of him where he performs, it's a win.

and many of pens fans seem to think there is some unrealized potential.. this team needs to add lots of skill and playmaking ability and he has that... and if he works out it makes some guys like blandisii and co available for trades etc. i like what shero is doing here.. collecting assets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad