Confirmed with Link: Devils trade #77 for RW Beau Bennett

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So we shouldn't draft any players then by that philosophy?

Acquiring picks have multiple purposes. You can use them as assets to acquire players, to move up in the draft for better picks or to draft prospects.

dude we had 10 picks this draft

its OK to use 1-2 to do stuff like this

if we had 4 picks and did this then maybe I would agree with you

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bennett is funny guy. Check out his Twitter if you have a chance. I like this move a lot. If he's healthy this is a steal for us. It's really just dependent on that.

He is, but with all his injuries he became the target of a lot of negativity through social media and has deleted accounts multiple times. I think it affected him mentally and that, along with injuries, affected his confidence on the ice. With him suffering so many injuries, through all the changes in management and players, he never really caught a place in the lineup. All the rookie forwards emerging through the second half of the year really sealed his fate. Best wishes to him going forward, he has been through a lot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
dude we had 10 picks this draft

its OK to use 1-2 to do stuff like this

if we had 4 picks and did this then maybe I would agree with you

I'm not criticizing the philosophy of using a pick to trade for a player. Just disagreeing with the assertion that you acquire picks ONLY for the purpose of dealing them off.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He is, but with all his injuries he became the target of a lot of negativity through social media and has deleted accounts multiple times. I think it affected him mentally and that, along with injuries, affected his confidence on the ice. With him suffering so many injuries, through all the changes in management and players, he never really caught a place in the lineup. All the rookie forwards emerging through the second half of the year really sealed his fate. Best wishes to him going forward, he has been through a lot.

Definitely got the impression he needs a change of scenery.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Does this mean that Stempniak isn't coming back? Our right wing depth chart is filling up. I'd rather go with the younger guy who still has room to grow. If everything works perfectly for him and he stays healthy I think he can be a 45+ point player year in and year our, he has great hockey sense. Plus he has size which is always a plus. This is a good trade simply for fact that the third round pick we traded for had what a, 10% chance of becoming close to what Bennett is already.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Not sure how anyone can have a problem with this. He's shown some flashes but has been hindered by injuries. We have the room for RW depth to give him a solid chance if he stays healthy.

It's low risk high reward.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Does this mean that Stempniak isn't coming back? Our right wing depth chart is filling up. I'd rather go with the younger guy who still has room to grow. If everything works perfectly for him and he stays healthy I think he can be a 45+ point player year in and year our, he has great hockey sense. Plus he has size which is always a plus. This is a good trade simply for fact that the third round pick we traded for had what a, 10% chance of becoming close to what Bennett is already.

thats too much of a gamble. i think gio might be gone sadly, but we NEED another top 6 winger with guaranteed skill. bennett could become one but its too much of a risk to just rely on that

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Definitely got the impression he needs a change of scenery.

Absolutely. And Shero and Hynes both have experience with him, and will likely give him a more of an opportunity than most management groups would. And Bennett can be a very good player if things work out for him a bit better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
thats too much of a gamble. i think gio might be gone sadly, but we NEED another top 6 winger with guaranteed skill. bennett could become one but its too much of a risk to just rely on that

Bennett/DSP are both tweeners atm. But either would be a waste on the fourth line. They're gonna give Bennett a chance to win a top six role and DSP definitely deserves to be top nine at least going into next year. So yeah this probably closes the door on a Stemp return. At most they might bring in some vet on a camp tryout to compete with them along with kids like Lappin.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Cammalleri-Henrique-Bennett
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri

After both Cammalleri and Bennett get hurt

Zacha-Henrique-DSP

:)

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
I have no idea how lines are going to work this year, but with his playmaking skill, he should probably be on Henriques wing.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'd expect us to add at least one more RW before the season. Depth is important.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
You guys are getting a good player. Now that we traded him he'll most likely play all 82 games and score 20 goals.

Nice for Shero and Bennett to get a second chance at this. I hope things work out better for Beau with a fresh start. He's a very good all-around player, a really smart playmaker, and an underrated skater and scorer. Hope he does well, and he could turn out to be a very valuable player. It was just never going to happen in Pittsburgh and he lost a ton of confidence. I think the Devils could be a good team and a good situation for him.

1 really bad game...I wouldn't read much into that, though, considering he'd missed the previous 6 weeks and was never healthy enough to get used to Sullivan's system (only his 10th game played after the coaching change and he barely saw the ice when he did play).

If he can stay healthy he's a very skilled forward with great hockey sense...but he has been plagued by injuries ever since being drafted, really. He went to Denver specifically to add muscles since he was a stick when drafted, but all that resulted in was a string of wrist injuries that carried over to his professional career. He should have gone back to Denver for a third year, truth be told.

If he can stay healthy this could be a very good snag for you guys. That's a huge if, though.

Appreciate the kind words guys.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not sure how anyone can have a problem with this. He's shown some flashes but has been hindered by injuries. We have the room for RW depth to give him a solid chance if he stays healthy.

It's low risk high reward.

Count me in as one not big on this move. Bennet has not had an impressive season since 09-10.

On bright side, I think this solidifies no Tootoo, or Gio on 4th rw.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Count me in as one not big on this move. Bennet has not had an impressive season since 09-10.

On bright side, I think this solidifies no Tootoo, or Gio on 4th rw.

He hasn't been impressive because he hasn't been healthy.

His health is a huge question mark, but if he stays healthy he should be a solid player for us. Fine move for a free 3rd.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He hasn't been impressive because he hasn't been healthy.

His health is a huge question mark, but if he stays healthy he should be a solid player for us. Fine move for a free 3rd.

In that vein he does have a sense of humor retweeting this:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would've hoped to get him for a lower pick, but I still love the trade. After all, we acquired an additional third round pick (#80) simply by trading back and getting the center we wanted all along in McLeod. In that sense, I see this as a free asset or just acquiring an NHL player by moving back three picks in the third round.

As for Bennett, he's a creative right-handed right wing with skill. Seems like his biggest problem is staying healthy, but if he can, it's exactly what we need.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Beau brings size, speed, shooting, passing, and a right handed shot. He's two years away from being a mid-aged player. DSP will have some competition. Pittsburgh drafted Connor Hall with the pick who is a LH defensive d-man. Two notable names who we could have had at 77 (only out of players who went between this pick and 101) are Victor Mete and Casey Fitzgerald. Considering the opportunity cost of trading the pick and organizational needs, this is a great trade. I see no reason to believe this can't turn out like the Palmieri or DSP deals.

AltDess

Jun 19, 2009
edit: guys, he's not fast and he's not really "big" (maybe tall but really thin), but does have tons of skill

One more thing to add about Beau off ice but still hockey related: he really is a high character good guy, "energy multiplier", to have in the room and around younger players.
He is a naturally positive upbeat chill Southern Cali dude, so he won't be a negative influence or an "energy drainer".

Wish him all the best, definitely has all the skills needed to succeed just needs to stay healthy and put it all together.

Actually even if he doesn't make it in the NHL I can still see Beau having a long successful career scoring a ton of goals and being a local star for an AHL club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad