Confirmed with Link: Devils trade #77 for RW Beau Bennett

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At most he and DSP are probably 2A and 2B options, one of them starts the season in the top six and one on the third line. Palmeri's arrow was clearly trending up and he never really got a chance in Anaheim cause of their depth. Bennett was a former first-rounder that stagnated in Pittsburgh despite a lack of wing depth for the Pens till this year and having chances to succeed on top lines.

Of course re: Palmieri that's why we had to trade a 2 for him as well. In the case of Bennett the best argument for him is a mid-third in a weak draft is next to nothing anyway.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
It's good short term roster insurance in case Shero can't trade for an upgrade or sign enough quality FA types.

I can't really criticize or lament one move Shero has made so far.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
At most he and DSP are probably 2A and 2B options, one of them starts the season in the top six and one on the third line. Palmeri's arrow was clearly trending up and he never really got a chance in Anaheim cause of their depth. Bennett was a former first-rounder that stagnated in Pittsburgh despite a lack of wing depth for the Pens till this year and having chances to succeed on top lines.

Of course re: Palmieri that's why we had to trade a 2 for him as well. In the case of Bennett the best argument for him is a mid-third in a weak draft is next to nothing anyway.

A free mid third at that. Zero risk here.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Did he play well in the postseason?

1 really bad game...I wouldn't read much into that, though, considering he'd missed the previous 6 weeks and was never healthy enough to get used to Sullivan's system (only his 10th game played after the coaching change and he barely saw the ice when he did play).

If he can stay healthy he's a very skilled forward with great hockey sense...but he has been plagued by injuries ever since being drafted, really. He went to Denver specifically to add muscles since he was a stick when drafted, but all that resulted in was a string of wrist injuries that carried over to his professional career. He should have gone back to Denver for a third year, truth be told.

If he can stay healthy this could be a very good snag for you guys. That's a huge if, though.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
I wouldn't have moved Beau, personally. He's still very cheap and he's a talented player. He's just dealt with a ridiculous amount of injuries. You have to think that at some point the injuries will stop coming in droves. You all got a good player who's ready to play in the NHL for a pick.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Eh, no risk but underwhelming at best. He cannot stay healthy in the NHL and has shown no capability of doing so. It's no risk so no criticism towards the acquisition itself, just dont believe he is going to matter in the long run.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I like this move too.

Roll of the dice, but there's significant upside if his injury history stems from bad luck rather than a chronic glass body.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Bennett is funny guy. Check out his Twitter if you have a chance. I like this move a lot. If he's healthy this is a steal for us. It's really just dependent on that.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I want to like this but I have no reason to believe Bennett will be even an upgrade over DSP, much less an NHL top six winger. The Penguins have needed wings for years and this guy can't click on a team with Crosby and Malkin.

He actually clicked well with Malkin, but as others have said he couldn't stay healthy. He spent a few games on Sid's line this year as well, then got hurt by Oshie down the stretch. He and Sid were playing well together, but as has been the case his whole career he gets hurt whenever he really starts to get going. I predict he'll start slow, but if he can stay healthy he'll make an impact.

Nice for Shero and Bennett to get a second chance at this. I hope things work out better for Beau with a fresh start. He's a very good all-around player, a really smart playmaker, and an underrated skater and scorer. Hope he does well, and he could turn out to be a very valuable player. It was just never going to happen in Pittsburgh and he lost a ton of confidence. I think the Devils could be a good team and a good situation for him.

Did he play well in the postseason?

1 really bad game...I wouldn't read much into that, though, considering he'd missed the previous 6 weeks and was never healthy enough to get used to Sullivan's system (only his 10th game played after the coaching change and he barely saw the ice when he did play).

If he can stay healthy he's a very skilled forward with great hockey sense...but he has been plagued by injuries ever since being drafted, really. He went to Denver specifically to add muscles since he was a stick when drafted, but all that resulted in was a string of wrist injuries that carried over to his professional career. He should have gone back to Denver for a third year, truth be told.

If he can stay healthy this could be a very good snag for you guys. That's a huge if, though.

Agree with all these as well.

Also, iirc, that 1 game wasn't until the ECF I believe, hard to get right into the thick of it after being out for so long.

Hoping he pans out for you guys.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bennett is funny guy. Check out his Twitter if you have a chance. I like this move a lot. If he's healthy this is a steal for us. It's really just dependent on that.

It seems like personality matters to this regime too...which isn't generally a bad thing imo. Though it's fine to have a few nails-serious intense guys too more often than not the team can't wait to pump out these guys' sense of humor online.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
It seems like personality matters to this regime too...which isn't generally a bad thing imo. Though it's fine to have a few nails-serious intense guys too more often than not the team can't wait to pump out these guys' sense of humor online.

it's just good for business, so i don't blame them. i like it, even if the quietness of lou's regime is nostalgic. i mean, you know the players have so much fun with it.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Good move for you guys. If Beau stays healthy he'll be a decent top 6 RW. Great passer one of the best on the Pens. I really wanted it to work out for him as a Penguin but still hope it works out for him for you guys. Stay healthy Beau!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
what? lol

the whole point of acquiring draft picks is to use them as assets to acquire players in the future

So we shouldn't draft any players then by that philosophy?

Acquiring picks have multiple purposes. You can use them as assets to acquire players, to move up in the draft for better picks or to draft prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad