Confirmed with Link: Devils trade #77 for RW Beau Bennett

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He's averaged 32 NHL regular season games over 4 years

But if you want to count AHL + NHL + playoffs that 71 number actually illustrates my point even more.

That 71 represents 37% of his 194 total Pro games ovet 4 years.

That means in his last 3 seasons he's only played 123 Pro games NHL, AHL and playoffs combined.

I'm not sure how you don't see a young player missing half of his last 3 years as a major problem?

It's incredibly silly to average his NHL games when he's played in the minor leagues. It's even more silly to do so when 2012-13 is a lockout year where the league only played slightly more than half the normal schedule.

I didn't know what his injuries were. If they are bone breaks as hutter said, I don't see it as a major problem as those are generally fluke injuries.

In addition, it's a 3rd round pick. It's an average or above average player about 1/12 of the time. Bennett is that average player, maybe, if he can stay healthy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
People making a big deal of this either way Crack me up. I don't think people realize how little a chance a 3rd rounder has to make the NHL

Then again there were people who were unhappy trading that turd matteau

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only thing I don't like about this trade is how it reinforces the notion that Shero has too much affection for "his" guys. Makes me wonder if he's really looking at team building as objectively as he should be.

What GM ISN'T partial to his guys to a degree? People act like that's something only specific to our GM's but it's really not. And it's not like Shero's bringing back a 30-something for a third tour of duty, he's bringing in someone who he drafted pretty high a few years ago and is still relatively young. If he was bringing in Rob Scuderi that'd be another story.

See, but this type of thinking is just so, so silly. For one, he doesn't have to play in the top six for this to have been worth it.

Well you need him or DSP to be a top six winger, otherwise you lock up a wing spot for a tweener that won't really work up there instead of doing something else in the long offseason to bring in a legit top six RW.

But my point was more that being happy with 25 points isn't ideal if the guy's going to have a bigger role which he almost surely will. If Bennett was going to stay on the third line and DSP could be a legit top six winger I'd be happy with that.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What GM ISN'T partial to his guys to a degree? People act like that's something only specific to our GM's but it's really not. And it's not like Shero's bringing back a 30-something for a third tour of duty, he's bringing in someone who he drafted pretty high a few years ago and is still relatively young.

I also got the impression he did kick the tires on other projects like Yak, but the price wasn't right.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm arguing against the trade, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

Now, shero said Bennett could be a top 9, or even top 6 guy, so if he is the 2016 off season RW top 6 solution, are people still cool with this move?

I could also see a line of thought where Shero goes into the season with Palms, Bennett, DSP top 3 RW's and fully expecting a Bennett injury or lack of good play from Bennett or DSP allows Lappin to step in somewhere during the season.

Kind of like how I see Camm, and or Elias doing the same with LW and Blandisi/Q.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The only thing I don't like about this trade is how it reinforces the notion that Shero has too much affection for "his" guys. Makes me wonder if he's really looking at team building as objectively as he should be.

As far as the trade itself, I'm fine with it. I'd rather spend a 3rd to bring in Bennett instead of another Bernier or Farnham. If he doesn't stay healthy, so be it. No more risky than any 3rd round pick we could have made. It's easy to compare him to Speers or Wood and come away disappointed, but for all we know neither of them end up any better. The unknown in their projections makes them look more attractive because we havent had a chance to be disappointed by them yet.

Just because he knows a guy doesn't necessarily mean it's nepotism. Hiring Hynes was almost universally applauded by pundits as a smart move.

If you need to hire a guy for your company, are you going to hire the guy you went to college with that you know has his **** together, or are you going to ask some guy off the street to give you a resume and hope for the best?

Shero already has a book on Bennett. A move like this is always uncertain but you can make it less uncertain by gathering knowledge and making informed choices. If the choice was, say, Bennet or Yakupov, of course he's going to target the guy he knows very well.

Whats the point in professional networking if you're not going to use these connections to your advantage?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's incredibly silly to average his NHL games when he's played in the minor leagues. It's even more silly to do so when 2012-13 is a lockout year where the league only played slightly more than half the normal schedule.

I didn't know what his injuries were. If they are bone breaks as hutter said, I don't see it as a major problem as those are generally fluke injuries.

In addition, it's a 3rd round pick. It's an average or above average player about 1/12 of the time. Bennett is that average player, maybe, if he can stay healthy.
There is nothing silly about it at all.No matter how you want to break down the numbers, the fact remains that this is a player that has missed half of the last 3 years during critical development time.

Spin that any way you want to.

Last edited:

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
I'm arguing against the trade, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

Now, shero said Bennett could be a top 9, or even top 6 guy, so if he is the 2016 off season RW top 6 solution, are people still cool with this move?

I could also see a line of thought where Shero goes into the season with Palms, Bennett, DSP top 3 RW's and fully expecting a Bennett injury or lack of good play from Bennett or DSP allows Lappin to step in somewhere during the season.

Kind of like how I see Camm, and or Elias doing the same with LW and Blandisi/Q.

I think this the most likely scenario to be actualized in the first portion of the season, although the player to be called up doesn't necessarily have to be Lappin.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
If he could stay healthy, I could see him being the Devils' captain one day.

Not saying that because he was a Penguin, but Beau Bennett had one of the highest hockey IQs & was one of the hardest working Penguins on our roster this year.

If he can stay injury free (which is really about luck), you guys got a great player who could lead by example. You guys will love his shot & his forechecking.

Really sad to let Beau go, but the Pens are a stacked team & over the cap.

Best of luck, Beau! Hope you become a star for the Devils, and thank you for everything you did for the Pens!

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think anytime you can trade a 3rd for a younger guy who has proven he is NHL caliber, even with very questionable health, it's not a bad trade. At worse we know he can play in the NHL, how many 3rd rounders ever play in the NHL? 5%?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
If he could stay healthy, I could see him being the Devils' captain one day.

Not saying that because he was a Penguin, but Beau Bennett had one of the highest hockey IQs & was one of the hardest working Penguins on our roster this year.

If he can stay injury free (which is really about luck), you guys got a great player who could lead by example. You guys will love his shot & his forechecking.

Really sad to let Beau go, but the Pens are a stacked team & over the cap.

Best of luck, Beau! Hope you become a star for the Devils, and thank you for everything you did for the Pens!

Whoa...what??

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It honestly is somewhat eyebrow raising that Penguin fans seem to like him a lot...could be just the fact he's a draft pick and a likeable guy (look how popular Tedenby was around here for exhibit A) but OTOH maybe there's more than meets the eye in terms of his meh numbers so far.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It honestly is somewhat eyebrow raising that Penguin fans seem to like him a lot...could be just the fact he's a draft pick and a likeable guy (look how popular Tedenby was around here for exhibit A) but OTOH maybe there's more than meets the eye in terms of his meh numbers so far.

I think I was the only person on here that didn't like Tedenby from the start, although I didn't post here when he was first drafted. And I was one of 3 or 4 people that couldn't stand him at the time I started posted here and I was lambasted many times for it.:laugh:

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell
I think I was the only person on here that didn't like Tedenby from the start, although I didn't post here when he was first drafted. And I was one of 3 or 4 people that couldn't stand him at the time I started posted here and I was lambasted many times for it.:laugh:

I wasn't a fan of Tedenby either. I will say doobeedobeedoo is much more than A Pens fan. He's a fan of the sport. And one of the most knowledgable hockey fans I know. He was the first person I asked when the Bennet trade was made. Im very intrigued by what he brings to the devils should he stay healthy now. Health has been the only downside I've seen so far could be a great trade

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Whoa...what??

When he was healthy, he had the 2nd highest hockey IQ on the Pens, next to Sid.

He also gives it his all on every shift.

Not saying he'll be your best player, but certainly a player younger players can look up to, plus he's a player John Hynes is familiar with and although he didn't have a big part, he's also a Stanley Cup winner.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013

He was a high draft pick and a likable guy, but it's really about his hockey IQ. He rarely makes bad decisions with the puck & his forechecking is phenomenal. He also has has a wicked wrister.

We were still trying to get him on the 1st line with Sid until Conor Sheary & Bryan Rust caught fire. He didn't get traded because he sucks, he got traded because the Pens are all about speed & we were over the cap.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I wasn't a fan of Tedenby either. I will say doobeedobeedoo is much more than A Pens fan. He's a fan of the sport. And one of the most knowledgable hockey fans I know. He was the first person I asked when the Bennet trade was made. Im very intrigued by what he brings to the devils should he stay healthy now. Health has been the only downside I've seen so far could be a great trade

Thanks Robo, I might be raising expectations a bit by saying he could be a future Devils' captain, but he's everything you would want in a captain besides his bad luck with injuries.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It honestly is somewhat eyebrow raising that Penguin fans seem to like him a lot...

After you win and have success you start to believe that every one of your spare parts is something special. Nothing new...when I was younger I thought Kirk Muller was going to bring Montreal a cup....oh wait, he did. Bad example. I thought Claude Lemieux was going to bring Colorado a cup...damn it. Another bad example...I thought Shawn Chambers was going to bring Dallas... I might suck at this?

Yeah 129 games in 4 years Bennett is probably going to be the captain.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
After you win and have success you start to believe that every one of your spare parts is something special. Nothing new...when I was younger I thought Kirk Muller was going to bring Montreal a cup....oh wait, he did. Bad example. I thought Claude Lemieux was going to bring Colorado a cup...damn it. Another bad example...I thought Shawn Chambers was going to bring Dallas... I might suck at this?

Yeah 129 games in 4 years Bennett is probably going to be the captain.

Or Pitt fans, the ones that watched all his games, see that he has actual talent and feel his injury history is what is holding him back?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Or Pitt fans, the ones that watched all his games, see that he has actual talent and feel his injury history is what is holding him back?

Pretty much, but I won't argue this anymore. I'm very confident that if Beau Bennett can stay healthy, he will be a very good 2 way player.

I like what the Devils are trying to do this offseason, you guys have some good pieces at play.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA

His injury history is exactly what's holding him back. When he's been healthy he's been able to make those around him better and show why he was a 1st round pick to begin with. His passing and vision are great imo. He's got a decent shot too.

His biggest problem is the injuries. That's what's holding him back from really breaking out in the league.

Hopefully his injury troubles are behind him and he can really grow into the player Shero drafted him to be 6 years ago.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm liking these positive reviews from Pens fans. I guess all we can really do is cross our fingers he stays healthy. Seems like everything else is there, including familiarity with our staff and management. For just a third round pick, I'm very happy with this trade.

Last Devils hire/acquisition that was lauded by Pens fans was John Hynes, and I like how that's working for us so far.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
i don't mind this trade. I would say the chances of him getting it together and staying healthy are not very good. But okay with the gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad